I have $147 in change - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I have $147 in change

I have three jars full of change the last two days I counted the two jars of change and I have $147.10 worth of change. I think it is time to go to the bank to exchange it for green backs. I have to count the third jar and it is half full of change. It is a good thing I sorted through it because I found $1.17 in Canadian change. Stupid walmart is always giving me Canadian coins for change. Well I am going to give it back too them. I am wondering how much Canadian change is floating around here?

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired

re: I have $147 in change

ive had my change for three years now i think. im saving it up for a tat. the money i get on my paycheck is for savings. the change i keep is to spoil away
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Super Beaver

I have a vase I throw all my change in and turn it in around xmas time so I can buy a few presents. Usually have about $100. It's fun hehe
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Neue Nihilist

I had a mason jar for my change, which I empty out of my wallet on a regular basis. It's full now though

Open up, it's the FBI Police! I'm Special Agent Detective Sargent Doctor Trenchcoat, and this is my partner The Right Honorable Professor Judge Captain Snake!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Bon
Walking in the light

I use to pay my car insurance with my spare change. It can really add up. There are now debit cards that will round and item up for you, and put the change in your savings account, say an item came to $29.75, they would put the .25 in your savings account.

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Spectacular Member

I use to use a tin for keeping change but I dont bother anymore cause my tin is in my room and my wallet never makes it up here. Instead I just give tips.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM

coinstar is a brilliant invention
I miss the days slot machines spit out coins.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sslhea*
I wish we had a coinstar where I live. Dad told me the bank charges a few if the change is over $60. So I will have to take it into the bank little at a time.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Bon
Walking in the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper
Quote:
I wish we had a coinstar where I live. Dad told me the bank charges a few if the change is over $60. So I will have to take it into the bank little at a time.
When I lived in Reed City Area.......We went to all the hassles of wrapping pennies................When I got there, they told me we didn't have to wrap them, they now weighed the coins.......

So a bank, charging to take money.........Annoys me........Sure, someone will have to wrap it, they would anyway, too me this should be Incorporated into someones wages.

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:04 PM
SAS Member

Hold on to it, some US coins are now worth more for their actual weight in metal I believe it costs somwhere around 1.87 cents to make a penny.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Nae
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
I was going to mention just bringing them to a change machine. The only problem is that they tend to charge a % on each dollar..I believe it is 8 cents around here.

Although I looked around and found a bank that carries a change machine free of charge. That satiates my money saving needs.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Beaver

My bank has never charged me to cash rolled change. What a rip off!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Nyx
Allons-y!

Re: re: I have $147 in change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon
I use to pay my car insurance with my spare change. It can really add up. There are now debit cards that will round and item up for you, and put the change in your savings account, say an item came to $29.75, they would put the .25 in your savings account.
I have that feature on my debit card. I also have a piggy bank I throw all my change into at the end of the week, this includes dollar bills. I don't know what I'm saving for yet...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~Mark Twain
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Permanently Banned

Re: re: I have $147 in change

Quote:
Originally Posted by mserychic
My bank has never charged me to cash rolled change. What a rip off!
I don't roll coins. And how do they even know how much is in the roll unless they weigh it?

Last fall I desposited about $125 in change at my bank and it took their coin counting machine perhaps a minute or so to sort it. It's hard to justify those Coinstar machines that charge 8.9% when a bank can count over $100 per minute (free in my case).

And banks should be happy to get change. After all, store owners need choins to give as change. If people like me didn't turn this stuff in, they would have no change to give stores. Seems like the bank needs me just as much as I need them.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Sassy

I know someone who has a crap load of the dollar coins, probably over $10,000 worth of them.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 AM
SAS Member

I have two jars and a fishbowl full of change. I really ought to do something about them. I haven't cashed in my change in about three years.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Yup.. it's me!

I wish my bank had a sorting machine like that.. I had to go to one of those coinstars at the market... they did have an option to waive the fee for a gift certificate to amazon in the amount of your change... but I wanted the cash.. hehe

Facebook
"It's not the giving, it's not the getting. It's the loving. There, I said it. Now get outta here." - Garfield
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
I use those coinstar machines for the convience more than anything else. My change is kept in this large tupperware container that I cash in whenever I need some extra cash.

Hyperbole is the best thing ever!!!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
SAS Veteran

Re: I have $147 in change

I get those Canadian pennies. Once I knew it was Canadian and I gave it to the person I was paying anyway because I had just noticed it and didn't want to stop and say it's Canadian. It was just one penny. I have several of those here somewhere. But I wouldn't deliberately use them here. Nice that you found you had all that much in change. I had several dollars in lose change and it came to a fairly good amount. If we look over our change from lunch, over time there is quite a bit of a find.

Quote:
I have three jars full of change the last two days I counted the two jars of change and I have $147.10 worth of change. I think it is time to go to the bank to exchange it for green backs. I have to count the third jar and it is half full of change. It is a good thing I sorted through it because I found $1.17 in Canadian change. Stupid walmart is always giving me Canadian coins for change. Well I am going to give it back too them. I am wondering how much Canadian change is floating around here?

"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

The problem with the Canadian change is it look likes are money. They are the same size. The only difference is the Canadian change is lighter and makes a different sound when dropped onto a hard surface. I live pretty close to the border so we have lots of Canadian change is floating around here. The Wal-Mart here is bad about giving me Candian change. They just want to get rid of it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page