How will the upcoming Twenty Twenties decade be? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
On Life Support

My Mood: Dead
2020 is right around the corner , and depending on who you ask it will mark the start of a new decade (some people say that 2021 is when the next decade officially starts). Regardless of when it officially starts I gotta say that I am glad that this decade is coming to an end.

I 'd say that the 2010s have been a pretty ****ty both personally and globally.

Music: saw the rise the rise and fall of dub step. Trap music for some strange reason became popular and killed lyricism and polyphonism in the process. Rock and Roll went into a comatose state and is currently on life support with no signs of mainstream recovery.

I used to scuff at **** like this in the Noughties but I'd take it any day over today's ****:

I miss the pop-punk, emo, scene kids era...or just maybe I am getting old [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SAS_2015/smilies/tango_face_crying.png[/IMG]

Movies: although there have been a few cool movies such as Ex Machina. Every other mainstream movie is a remake or sequel of some franchise. Unfortunately, none of these remakes live up to the original.

Not to mention the bloated use of CGI, specially for horror movies. What's wrong with props and makeup?

Gaming: back in the day you'd enter some weird *** button combination to unlock levels and secret characters but these days you gotta pay $19.99 for that.

Micro transactions, gaming as a service, unfinished games that play like beta and release at full price, re mastered versions of games released just a year ago, no originality, pay to win.

etc... need I say more?

The Witcher series being the highlight of an otherwise disastrous decade...

TV: cannot comment since I stopped watching TV a long time ago. I heard that The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones were good but I cannot confirm.

Technology:total dystopia courtesy of social media. This hits people with SA particularly hard. I used to enjoy the fact you could interact with other sentient beings online in anonymity and express controversial points of view and point out inconvenient truths. I suppose that you can still do that but not to the same degree...social media has completely taken over in a very oppressive way. No longer do you have to struggle with fitting in in real life but you also have to keep up an online profile. As if it wasn't hard enough in real life. The internet is no longer a place to escape reality a continuation of it.

Time to learn lucid dreaming techniques if you want to escape this world *****es!

Furthermore society is starting to punish people for not playing along and wanting to be of the grid. Potential Employers are rejecting candidates for not having online presence as it is deemed "suspicious". Great!

Not to mention the fact that radio frequencies appear to have a connection in the recent decline of bee population and rise of human cancer...

Worldly Affairs: although the global economy seems to have recovered from the 2008 crash. The past decade seems to be plagued by upheavals and political instability... from the farce of the Arab Spring, to the gilet jaunes,to Brexit, all the way to the extreme polarization of the US political system it as seemed as if the world was about to explode.

What are your thoughts on the previous decade? Do you think that things will change for the better in the upcoming decade? I'd like to hear your predictions.

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 02:36 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it, as you say everything seems to be slowly getting crappier with every decade since the 90's, from my point of view the past decade has been the worst so far for music, tv, movies, pollution in general, global warming, trump, brexit, I'm also gonna be getting old.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 06:04 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I'm looking forward to it. The previous decade was better than the noughties for me, as I experienced the whole of our society change due to 9/11. The Noughties did have good music playing on the radio, that was more mainstream, but that is all part of the process of getting older I suppose, old music sounds better, you no longer can connect with new music because you are not part of it all anymore. Those who are younger now, will one day be complaining about how the music in the 10s was amazing, but the music of the 30s completely blows.

Movies have always been a hit or miss, I don't remember any decade just pumping out one blockbuster after another. We have star wars right now, and Marvel movies which are pretty kick ***.

Gaming still kicks ***, it just keeps getting better for me. Plus I have all of my old games, and people are still creating older style games.

Technology is one I'm looking forward to, social media is eventually going to dry up. Once AI is sophisticated enough to be people's best friend, humans are more than likely to stop socializing for the sake of socializing with strangers as often. Movies will be made on the spot, as well as games, custom-tailored for you, VR will become smaller and more affordable, integrated augmented reality will eventually become a reality. It all sounds pretty sweet to me. Social media of the 10s though has been really crappy, I have mostly avoided it.. It is funny because most of us internet denizens all hated the idea of social media in the early 2000s, we knew it would blow.

World affairs have been pretty bad for a while. I remember when we were under constant nuclear threat by the USSR, those were pretty scary times..

The few things I am not looking forward to, are my loved ones passing away. Honestly, I think I was born in the wrong era, I want more technology integration in my life.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 07:45 AM
bipolar

Well none of the things you mentioned particularly worry me - except maybe world affairs. Who on earth cares what the movies will be like - or the music for that matter.

I'm concerned about my mental health - and whether or not I'll be able to get out there and participate in whatever's going on.
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 07:55 AM
alien monk

no idea. 2020 has good symmetry which is making me irrationally optimistic.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 07:56 AM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Well I didn't like that Avril song (in fact I pointedly hated it when it came out lol,) but I quite liked Avril's first two albums even if it was just watered down Alanis Morissette.

A lot of the music then wasn't really technically good and even then we were living in pastiche land, but pop-punk makes me nostalgic I guess. We hadn't quite fully been locked into the repetition of old forms and milking old franchises with never ending reboots etc yet at that time, the internet also hadn't been forced into one strict form. Culturally that's what we have to escape from somehow..

Microtransactions hadn't killed mainstream gaming yet either.

I have a lot of hope for stuff like this:

because **** EA. They had a monopoly over this genre of game for a bizarre amount of time, and it shows.

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain
You've been talking to the wall
Everybody is dead in this house

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain
You never wanted to be born

post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:00 AM
bipolar

What worries me is how quickly time seems to fly by. I hope the next decade doesn't seem to go as fast as the last one.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Leftist Darkness

I'm not really optimistic about politics I think we'll either return to fascism or a capitalist dystopia of some kind. Pushed by increasing inequality. People might switch from complaining about immigrants to robots and that will be the deciding factor in how far things move in that direction towards nationalism (obviously Andrew Yang is trying to address that,) but the mainstream media won't want people to focus on robots, because they belong to the capitalist class and they don't want to be eaten.

Put it this way, this doesn't make me think they're optimistic either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasteading

waterworld lol.

In Europe things are a little different (from the US,) it's not just about inequality but also about Islam the religion and how much institutions capitulate to it. People have formed really dumb hyperbolic opinions but that mostly comes from dumb decisions made by people in positions of power.

edit: not necessarily in the next decade but the internet speeds up culture so.

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Leftist Darkness

Discussion of this is getting more mainstream:

https://twitter.com/levarburzum/stat...857728?lang=en

^ this tweet is great

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Leftist Darkness

My ultimate hope for the next decade is Grimes turns Elon Musk into a catgirl so we can get a less boring dystopia. But actually I'm already over it, 'ancap' catgirls are boring too.

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 11:23 AM
Gangsta Crayon

It don't look good so far.
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 11:55 AM
SAS Member

I expect less freedoms, and more of a stranglehold on the population. More surveillance, more restrictions, etc.

I expect the quality of life to keep going down, which will necesitate the restriction of freedoms--or that's what they'll tell us. Basically, whatever destructive trend is going on now will increase to the point where it hits rock bottom.

I expect "rock bottom" to occur in this decade. What revolution will come out of the crisis...I don't know yet.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 01:03 PM
Self isolating from self

More of the same, but slowly moving toward things being worse.
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Leftist Darkness

This won't be coming back cause we're all too dead inside lol.

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 02:29 PM
Chonker

More stress and surveillance. We are overdue for a recession apparently. Maybe the 1920s will be a brief fad and people will wear wool coats and hats, and the Charleston dance will come back.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #16 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 03:13 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
More of the same but worse for the average person.
Things have never been better for those at the top and they plan on keeping it that way.
Workism, the idea that work is a trait that makes one virtuous, is growing rampantly. That will continue to increase in the next decade. There will be no worker revolution.
Though IQs are mostly falling so the work that is being done isn't necessarily being done right. So expect things to get illogical and sloppy.
Marriage and committed relationships will continue to fall out of favor (work/money is more important).
Religion will continue to falter, work and money are the new religion.
Entertainment, meh, its been bad for years and it isn't coming back. It's really just about creating noise for when people aren't working anyway.
Politics, the show will go on.
They will finally give up on driverless cars and cars will still run on dinosaur juice.
More people with neck injuries from looking down at cellphone​s.
Food will get worse and more expensive. By the end of the decade a candy bar will be half the current size and cost $3. That is if candy is not the next demonized thing. As employers begin to monitor employee eating habits.
By the end of the decade it will be women getting #metood and making passes at men, who will become more asexual.
post #17 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 03:16 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY

Sort of. The social criticism of the 90s (spearheaded by Generation X) was more of an innocent sarcastic prank (i.e. Courtney Love, South Park, Kevin Smith movies). These days, the social criticism has become more personal, more emotional, and the response far more radical (MAGA, BLM, "fake news"). And there's no sign that it's going to let up.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #18 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 04:51 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY

Oh, now you've done it.. I'm going to be listening to Alanis all night.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #19 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 05:00 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Terrible.

/WYSD
post #20 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Leftist Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
Sort of. The social criticism of the 90s (spearheaded by Generation X) was more of an innocent sarcastic prank (i.e. Courtney Love, South Park, Kevin Smith movies). These days, the social criticism has become more personal, more emotional, and the response far more radical (MAGA, BLM, "fake news"). And there's no sign that it's going to let up.
I was thinking about how a lot of music has this energy now:

Quote:
He sounds like he's about to fall asleep while talking.
^ comment says it all lol.

and it kind of reflects that inner deadness that a lot of people have (also typified by the whole 'doomer' thing,) but that's more people in their early 20s and teen years. I wouldn't really expect it to be anything other than what it is right now for that reason.

I think art has ceased working as an outlet for a lot of people anyway. So radical politics it is.

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

Kick down the door
Kick through the pain

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page