How to hide a beer gut? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Frostie

How to hide a beer gut?

I'm looking for a full-time job now which means I'll be working in an office and have to wear business attire (in Texas, this means a button-up shirt tucked into a pair of chinos). I dread tucking in shirts because it makes my enormous "beer gut" (I don't actually drink beer) obvious. It makes me wish I lived some place where people dressed more formally so at least I could wear a sport coat which would help conceal my shameful bodily regions.

I am overweight, but not obese. I'm 215 lbs. and 6'3" Even when I was at 170 lbs in college which I consider my ideal weight, I still had a middle-aged man stomach. No matter how much I starve myself to death I can't get rid of this guy.

From what I've read about exercise, you can't target specific areas of fat because the body loses fat as a whole. Are there foods you can eat that will only store fat in certain areas? Has anyone had experience with nutritional supplements like Creatine or Glucomannan?

In the meantime, does anyone have any clothing advice that will help conceal my gut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Retired Enforcer

Its winter! How about a bulky sweater?

It is ironic, how often one comes across an atheist with a "holier than thou" attitude.
---Novius---
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
Try to wear looser fitting shirts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Nae
SAS Member

How's your posture? If you tend to curve your lower back inward this could cause your abdomen to protrude out making it look like you have a bigger stomach than you actually have.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Frostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae View Post
How's your posture? If you tend to curve your lower back inward this could cause your abdomen to protrude out making it look like you have a bigger stomach than you actually have.
Thanks, I'll try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amocholes View Post
Its winter! How about a bulky sweater?
I do wear lots sweaters (properly fitting ones, not bulky) when it gets cold, and they do a pretty good job of hiding my problem area. The only problem with this is we only have like 2 months of actual winter in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6 View Post
Try to wear looser fitting shirts.

Loose, poor fitting clothing makes people look sloppy and fatter than they actually are. I fail to see how wearing a larger size shirt would make me look slimmer. It would just add unnecessary bulk to my upper torso and arms and I'd still have my gut hanging over the waistline of my trousers.

Bad fitting, oversized dress shirt :
Attached Thumbnails
486px-Billgates.jpg  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
How about accepting that you have a beer gut and realizing that people are going to notice it no matter what you do. The question is, do they care or not? My guess would be no. Try doing more cardio workouts for exercise and don't starve yourself.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Frostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6 View Post
How about accepting that you have a beer gut
I agree that a person should accept their flaws. But a beer gut is something that I have the power to change so I won't just accept it.

Quote:
and realizing that people are going to notice it no matter what you do.
Yes.

Quote:
The question is, do they care or not? My guess would be no.
People judge you based on physical appearance. Studies show that fat people are viewed as less intelligent, lazy, etc. Attractive people get treated better than ugly people. That and I want to look sharp for the opposite sex. Lots of women say they don't care about looks, but the scientific evidence says otherwise.

Quote:
Try doing more cardio workouts for exercise and don't starve yourself.
This is probably the best advice. I am going to try to get on a more regular exercise regimen.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Corset.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Call Me !!!!

Manbra nah seriously though erm jogging /light weight exercises should define your body shape over a period of time.

Keep it simple
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 08:04 PM
SAS Member

If you do upper body exercises, to make your shoulders and arms bigger, you can have the same size gut but proportionally it won't seem as large.

-Ryan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page