How to get armpit smell out of clothes??? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Question

How to get armpit smell out of clothes???

Anyone know how to get armpit smell out of shirts? My work shirts get pretty bad considering the heat and I have to wear a jacket over the shirt as well. I wash them after each use but still the smell lingers especially over time.

I'm currently soaking them in vinegar (well vinegar on the armpit part w/ shirt inside out). Then I'll rewash them using gain detergent.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 11:14 AM
SAS Member

The Lume deoderant site had some good tips about that

Quote:
Use an enzyme detergent like Persil or enzyme spray like Nature’s Miracle (found in pet stores) to treat the armpits of your clothing.

For Persil, make a solution of 1 part Persil, 4 parts water. For Nature’s Miracle, use at full strength
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwsderf View Post
The Lume deoderant site had some good tips about that
Hmm ok thanks I used 1/4 cup of vinegar but didn't help that much will try 1/2 cup next time.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post

Hmm ok thanks I used 1/4 cup of vinegar but didn't help that much will try 1/2 cup next time.
Sure and if that doesn't work you can use the enzyme spray for whatever lingers
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 12:50 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
I have that problem too, with my favorite shirts and fleece jackets (ones that I use the most) after a couple years. I just end up throwing them in the trash.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 03:09 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Never had that problem, I use a little talc powder sometimes after showering, not really into anti perspirants, but it's never that hot here for too long anyway.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Never had that problem, I use a little talc powder sometimes after showering, not really into anti perspirants, but it's never that hot here for too long anyway.
Yeah the humidity here is brutal I sweat all throughout the day most of the time. Feels like 105+ most days.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Gillette antiperspirant. You might have to experiment a little to get the most effective (Gillette has a lot of products and some are not as good as others).

Also, antiperspirant only works well if you use it consistently. So you want to reapply every time you shower. If you skip days it will be less effective and you'll start to stink sooner even though you're wearing it. It's a trade-off because it will ruin your shirts pretty fast.

It also might depend on your detergent and what kind of washing machine you use. Some washing machines don't do a good job and some are almost miraculous. Front loaders seem to work better. Ours is a Kenmore (but that's Whirlpool) and works really well. If it isn't perfectly balanced it sounds like an elephant coming through the house though.

You might also try soaking in a tub bath once or twice a week for deep cleaning of your pits. Armpit odor is super stubborn and if you don't thoroughly cleanse your pits it comes back faster even if you smell clean. And then you'll be smelling like soured milk again before you know it. Liquid Softsoap seems to do a good job on it in the shower but you have to use plenty and really scrub. And always repeat with another soaping even if you don't smell anything.

The best way to make your shirts not stink is to prevent your pits from stinking in the first place. If your pits stink, your shirts stink. I've personally never had a problem with my shirts still stinking after being washed though. But I have been using antiperspirant since I was 16.

/WYSD
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Gillette antiperspirant. You might have to experiment a little to get the most effective (Gillette has a lot of products and some are not as good as others).

Also, antiperspirant only works well if you use it consistently. So you want to reapply every time you shower. If you skip days it will be less effective and you'll start to stink sooner even though you're wearing it. It's a trade-off because it will ruin your shirts pretty fast.

It also might depend on your detergent and what kind of washing machine you use. Some washing machines don't do a good job and some are almost miraculous. Front loaders seem to work better. Ours is a Kenmore (but that's Whirlpool) and works really well. If it isn't perfectly balanced it sounds like an elephant coming through the house though.

You might also try soaking in a tub bath once or twice a week for deep cleaning if your pits. Armpit odor is super stubborn and if you don't thoroughly cleanse your pits it comes back faster even if you smell clean. Liquid Softsoap seems to do a good job on it in the shower but you have to use plenty and really scrub. And always repeat with another soaping even if you don't smell anything.

The best way to make your shirts not stink is to prevent your pits from stinking in the first place. If your pits stink, your shirts stink. I've personally never had a problem with my shirts still stinking after being washed though. But I have been using antiperspirant since I was 16.
I have a good washer, deoderant, and shower daily lol. I just live in a humid area and sweat a ton at the job, wear jacket in the heat. I just need to know tips as far as getting smells out of the shirts .

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:36 PM
alien monk

take ur jacket off if it's too hot

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:48 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
I have a good washer, deoderant, and shower daily lol. I just live in a humid area and sweat a ton at the job, wear jacket in the heat. I just need to know tips as far as getting smells out of the shirts .
Is it deodorant or antiperspirant? Deodorant doesn't work nearly as well. If it doesn't specifically say "antiperspirant" anywhere on the label, it's just deodorant and just masks the smell (until it doesn't). Antiperspirant attacks the source of the smell instead of just covering it up. (This might seem condescending but you didn't say which you use).

I mean, yeah. If you live in a hot humid area, you're still going to sweat but you still might be able to mitigate the stink with the right stuff.

/WYSD
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
take ur jacket off if it's too hot
We can't, its part of uniform.

Quote:
Is it deodorant or antiperspirant? Deodorant doesn't work nearly as well. If it doesn't specifically say "antiperspirant" anywhere on the label, it's just deodorant and just masks the smell (until it doesn't). Antiperspirant attacks the source of the smell instead of just covering it up. (This might seem condescending but you didn't say which you use).

I mean, yeah. If you live in a hot humid area, you're still going to sweat but you still might be able to mitigate the stink with the right stuff.
Oh wow didn't know that, I use deoderant.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:09 PM
Yoink

I always use a Costco white cotton t-shirt as an undershirt. Which then gets washed with Costco detergent and Clorox bleach. Costco dryer sheets have some perfume and prevent static electricity.

I need to perspire or I overheat so I never use antiperspirant only deodorant. Old Spice is the latest one I use.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 03:36 AM
Sas user

How to get armpit smell out of clothes???

i read clothes smell because of the bacteria that lives on them, they go dormant without water but once wet they are activated and that causes the smell. they feed off sweat mainly

Try leaving clothes in the sun for as long as possible it should kill the bacteria. also concentrated spray to spray in the affected areas before wash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 08:31 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Have you tried washing them at a higher temperature?

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Have you tried washing them at a higher temperature?
Not really I guess because hot water tends to shrink your clothes.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 11:17 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Quote:

You might also try soaking in a tub bath once or twice a week for deep cleaning of your pits. Armpit odor is super stubborn and if you don't thoroughly cleanse your pits it comes back faster even if you smell clean. And then you'll be smelling like soured milk again before you know it. Liquid Softsoap seems to do a good job on it in the shower but you have to use plenty and really scrub. And always repeat with another soaping even if you don't smell anything.

Almost all of the popular types of deodorant have antiperspirant in them. Deodorant without antiperspirant is unusual.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 02:36 PM
SAS Member

It's a common problem, since most of our clothing nowadays can only be washed at low temperatures. Usually max 104 F.

That's not enough to kill the smell causing bacteria stuck in the fabric!

Everybody's sweat has a different chemistry and some simply smell worse than others despite good hygiene! Especially anxiety sweat often smells nastier than cooling sweat. It's produced by different glands.

You can do nothing but try (better not on colored fabrics)
Washing soda/baking powder
Citric acid
Vinegar

Or better try getting shirts that can be washed at 140 F.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 03:52 PM
alien monk

Quote:
We can't, its part of uniform.

Oh wow didn't know that, I use deoderant.
did you complain to them that the uniform is not fit for purpose?

you could get it dry cleaned.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Almost all of the popular types of deodorant have antiperspirant in them. Deodorant without antiperspirant is unusual.
I noticed that recently but it didn't used to be that way. When I first started buying it you had to seek out antiperspirant.

But there are still some that are just deodorant. If it doesn't actually say antiperspirant anywhere on the product, I won't buy it. I also noticed the Gillette Clear Gel (the kind that says "antiperspirant and deodorant" on the label) does not work anywhere near as well as it used to but the stick Gillette antiperspirant still works really well. I thought I was just imagining it because the first time I bought the one that said it had both in it, I was leery of it so I thought I was just psyching myself into thinking it wasn't as good. But no. I clearly remember when I could apply the clear gel antiperspirant once and it would work for days if need be. Now I'm lucky if I can get two days before I start to smell.

/WYSD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page