How in the world do you gain inner strength? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Little Winged One

My Mood: Angelic

How in the world do you gain inner strength?

I feel like I have the trifecta-the personality,voice and demeanor that so often means I'm over looked. Despite our twisted view of the world - it really isn't full of people who shine and excel. The world is full of mediocrity. But,I always feel that others have more of a sense of self-are stronger within. I always feel other people are more "real" in some way. Does anybody understand?

-Work on Forgetting the Self-

"Never try to appear to be more than you are but always try to be more than you appear."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
I feel like I have the trifecta-the personality,voice and demeanor that so often means I'm over looked. Despite our twisted view of the world - it really isn't full of people who shine and excel. The world is full of mediocrity. But,I always feel that others have more of a sense of self-are stronger within. I always feel other people are more "real" in some way. Does anybody understand?
I've been there plenty of times in my life mate. A sense of self in others is hard to say really... case in point, a lot of people have no idea why they do the things they do.

Sorry I have no idea what I'm typing atm, low blood sugar I need to eat something!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:24 AM
SAS Member

Thinking about it I guess I get some inner strength from emotional and material independence I developed over the years!

Once I realised that many of the people around me couldn't survive when having to live like me is kind of uplifting.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:31 AM
and i have social anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by EremitaGermanus View Post
Once I realised that many of the people around me couldn't survive when having to live like me is kind of uplifting.
I agree with this. I dont wanna generalize non-sa people, but alot of them are soft. This is why so many of them complain and whine over silly things.
People with SA live through pain everyday and naturally i think this gives us a drive that others dont have. Sometimes you may doubt your inner strength, but its there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Permanently Banned

I think you gain inner strength by experiencing anguish, pain and confusion enough to expand the boundaries of your capacity to handle it. But then, you can adapt to this, so experiencing pleasure and ease becomes difficult to handle, and this will push your limits as well.

Basically anything that creates friction with what you are accustomed to.

I should also add that I think there is a long delay between our gaining strength and realising it, or using it to help ourselves.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page