How Do You Feel When It's Your Birthday? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Question

How Do You Feel When It's Your Birthday?

When its your birthday, how do you feel? Is it a celebration or a time to feel down about your life and what you've done with it? I also get the "birthday blues" on my birthday as I reflect on the past year and how it's let me down. Time is scary because it goes so fast.

Do you ever do anything on your birthday or try to act like it doesn't exist? My birthday always makes me feel lame as I don't have any friends to celebrate or drink with. gets me down at what a loser I have become.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:58 AM
SAS Member

I usually celebrate my birthday with my immediate family. My birthday coincides with a lot of other celebrations so by the time it's my day I just want to relax at home with yummy food and cake. I've never been one for parties. Sometimes I'll go out to eat to a restaurant.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 09:00 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Usually kind of moody.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Gangsta Crayon

I don't see the point in me feeling down about it. I get older everyday, not just on my birthday but my mother likes to send me cards or go out to eat with me on my birthday. So it is something to look forward to seeing her and going somewhere.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 09:49 AM
SAS Member

I want to act like it doesn't exist. I only joined Facebook a few years ago and I took that notification off that tells people it was my birthday. My immediate family always wanted to go out to a restaurant but that is not my thing at all, having to sit down and make conversation. I would prefer an activity based thing if anything. The last two boyfriends I have had have had birthdays in the same month as me and since I am really not that sociable I said to them lets celebrate your birthday then. Going out for my and their birthday would be too much.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 09:56 AM
zkv
SAS Member

Used to get really sad much like you. Dissapointed in my lack of achievements, but mostly just wishing I was surrounded by at least a few people who actually chose to have me in their life, as opposed to just family.

Last Christmas, New Year's and birthday however just breezed through. I hope I'm over all that.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 10:14 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
My dad died on my birthday a year and a half ago so its sad now

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 01:49 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

My Mood: Crappy
Depressed because 1. I'm a year older but in just about the same place I've been since around age eleven; 2. another year and I've still accomplished absolutely nothing of worth in my life; and 3. nobody acknowledges it except my parents (which is very awkward, they have no idea how to react and I know they're very disappointed in how I've turned out) and my one online friend, plus a bunch of automated reminders from forums I stopped posting on years ago because nobody noticed me.

I see that even the automated reminders come less and less each year.

I don't do anything on my birthday because I have nobody to do anything with. It'd be nice to do something...

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'avjo View Post
Crud. That is sad.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 02:03 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
It makes me realize the harsh reality that I'm getting older and times ticking, also kinda feel sad because I should have done a lot more by now. But at least I get cheese cake.

Quote:
That sounds terrible! my belated condolences
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 02:09 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
Really nervous. I absolutely hate it when people make me the center of attention and my birthday is the perfect opportunity. I'd much rather nobody ever know that it's my birthday, or at least don't make a big deal about it.

One year while I was working at the same company as my mom, she sent around an email to all of my coworkers telling them it was my birthday, so while I was at lunch they put all these decorations all over my desk, and all afternoon I was constantly getting people coming to my desk making a big deal about it. Which resulted in a panic attack for me. My mom never did understand anxiety -- which is ironic because I believe she has generalized anxiety herself, though she would never admit it. She's always been extroverted and never understood my extreme introversion.

"Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce / To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: / Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n" - "Satan", Paradise Lost
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 02:53 PM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Depressed because 1. I'm a year older but in just about the same place I've been since around age eleven; 2. another year and I've still accomplished absolutely nothing of worth in my life; and 3. nobody acknowledges it except my parents (which is very awkward, they have no idea how to react and I know they're very disappointed in how I've turned out) and my one online friend, plus a bunch of automated reminders from forums I stopped posting on years ago because nobody noticed me.

I see that even the automated reminders come less and less each year.

I don't do anything on my birthday because I have nobody to do anything with. It'd be nice to do something...

EDIT:

Crud. That is sad.

Thanks, yeah it was. I asked him about an hr before he passed away if I could take 20 quid from his wallet for my birthday. He was really out of it then but he managed to get it together and shook his head no ha. He was good fun, I miss him a lot.

SFC
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 02:56 PM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
It makes me realize the harsh reality that I'm getting older and times ticking, also kinda feel sad because I should have done a lot more by now. But at least I get cheese cake.

That sounds terrible! my belated condolences

Thank you, appreciate that.

May end up being a nice day eventually if you get what I mean, he will kind of always be there on my birthday.

SFC
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 03:48 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Thanks, yeah it was. I asked him about an hr before he passed away if I could take 20 quid from his wallet for my birthday. He was really out of it then but he managed to get it together and shook his head no ha. He was good fun, I miss him a lot.
That was good - thanks for the laugh.

Sorry to hear about your Dad mate.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Failure's Art

It's just another day. Doesn't really have any real significance.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 04:02 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Haven't really 'celebrated' it since I was close to my teens at best. Otherwise it's pretty much like every other day. At least it's fairly close to Christmas, which makes up for it in a sense. Can't really do anything about getting older even if I dwell over it.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 04:09 PM
bipolar

Mostly nowadays I just feel old (or oldish). My wife always organises something - we go to a restaurant or something, nothing fancy.

It doesn't really bother me all that much - once I hit 60 I sort of got used to the idea I was getting older now.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 04:10 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
The reality of birthdays is that they are horrors mitigated somewhat by fantasies.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 05:17 PM
SAS Member

Language: Yes
I used to hate them because I didn't have any friends to celebrate with and my family taking me out for dinner always just felt like a charity case because they knew I didn't have any plans with anyone so it kind of just felt like they felt sorry for me (though I'd still appreciate them spending time with me).

But I love my birthdays now. I always hop on a flight somewhere by myself and try something new or splurge on myself big time. I really want to go to the snow again next year but, with the international border restrictions, it might just be interstate but that's fine. There's still heaps of things I want to try here. I also hate being the centre of attention too so this keeps the fact that it's my birthday low-key wherever I am while still going all out for it.

Quote:
Lmao that's hilarious. You should've bargained with him, start on 50 and end with 20. He sounds like a great guy to have been around.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Self isolating from self

It's just another day of the week for me.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
It was more exciting when I was a kid, didn't have a job and could have what I'd asked for.
I suppose we should all be grateful to have experienced life (even if it isn't always rainbows and unicorns).
I believe we were all made on purpose and there were no accidents whether it seems that way or not

Having said all that... I just treat it like another day

John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page