How do I become an Olympic athlete? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

How do I become an Olympic athlete?

How do I become an Olympic athlete?

I want to get into olympic lifting or wrestling.

I have been lifting weights and imporving my lifts/technique for 7 years now. I feel ready to goto the next level and dedicate all my time to training. The problem is that I work full-time.

All Michael Phelps does is eat, sleep and workout. If that was my life I would be the happiest guy in the world. So, how does one avoid the emaciating, decaying drudgery of a 9-5 office job and start training non-stop? (you need to workout 5hrs per day and eat like a horse to even consider competing). So most of my money would go towards meals, training, and rent. And with no income, well.... I would be in a precarious situation.

Any ideas besides being filthy rich from the get-go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 PM
иии---иии

Re: How do I become an Olympic athlete?

College seems to be a popular stepping point for many athletes. Yes, you'll have academic demands to take away from your training time, but so will all the other athletes. If you excel there, you might be able to find a sponsor who will pay for you to train full time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 PM
SAS Member

Developing focus and concentration

I do the cardio (threadmill or jogging in the park), the weights (every other day), the yoga, the meditation in at least an hour and a half each day. I don't do it for sports, but I do gain this very heighten state of mind, this concentration, this focus, that is so sharp I can do any task extremely efficiently and well done. And if you have that in sports too, then all the benefit to 100 per cent focus on your task or goal.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: Developing focus and concentration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
I do the cardio (threadmill or jogging in the park), the weights (every other day), the yoga, the meditation in at least an hour and a half each day. I don't do it for sports, but I do gain this very heighten state of mind, this concentration, this focus, that is so sharp I can do any task extremely efficiently and well done. And if you have that in sports too, then all the benefit to 100 per cent focus on your task or goal.
That is a good idea. I need to get some meditation practice myself.

What time of day do you jog?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 PM
SAS Member

Re: How do I become an Olympic athlete?

Whenever the weather is nice so usually in the afternoons. If not, I use the treadmill. I do that primarily for it exercises the heart.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page