How bad of a scam is this (or is it?) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How bad of a scam is this (or is it?)

I'm selling an acoustic guitar on Craigslist. I've had responses but no real serious buyers. This one just seemed wrong. I've also gotten additional e-mails from simply "John" with a different e-mail address that say "Greetings Friend", etc. or some generic spam BS like that. Kind of creepy. I guess it's coincidence. here it is...

"Hi,
Thanks for your reply.I want you to know that i want the best for both of us in this transaction.I'm cool with your final price which is $550,please let me know if you will accept payment with Money order as it's the only way i can pay you at the moment.
I would have loved to come take a look at it but i am presently out of town.Please send me some pictures,i also want to believe it is in a good working condition.Also,don't fail to reply with your name and your address where payment should be sent.I will let you know how i intend to pick it up.I want you to take the posting off craigslist today.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
John."

In money order scams it seems like they have you accept a money order but you end up having to pay for it somehow.

I responded only saying "I think you're a scam".

I'm just extra paranoid. I feel like clicking on those other "John" e-mails that contained very little of any message besides generic spam type, violated my computer, even though I didn't click on any attachments. Is that even possible.. to just open an e-mail and get some kind of security threat? (passwords, account info, etc.). I'm just in paranoid mode. I've been using my PayPal online and I fear my account getting hacked/used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:52 PM
SAS Member

He sounds really pushy. send me your name and address. take your listing down.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:27 PM

I have an e-bay book that advises waiting 2 weeks after you've cashed a money order over $500 before delivering your item to the buyer. Apparently some people have been forging fake money orders. When they don't clear the bank, the bank will come after you for re-imbursement.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:57 PM
🧱

Language: None
If he refuses to use paypal, make him send a wire transfer (western union) or plain cash.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:49 AM

re: How bad of a scam is this (or is it?)

I think him asking you to take the ad down is no big deal, he probably just wants to make sure you don't sell to anyone else.

About money order scams, ask for a postal service money order not one issued by a bank. US Postal Service money orders are regarded as the most difficult to counterfeit. If you cash it at the post office they will check the authenticity on the spot, don't cash it anywhere else. If it's fake, you are not held liable to pay anyone.

And asking for name and address is pretty standard stuff. My brother sells photography equipment on craigslist and he says he gets emails like that. But still, better safe than sorry.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:00 AM

re: How bad of a scam is this (or is it?)

I dont think he should be asking you to take your add down and all that.. something is not right here

Just dont bother w/ him.. see if you get anymore takers first.. and leave it alone. The only reason I say this is b/c i've experenced this stuff first hand when I was a big seller on Ebay.. Its the odd ones like that , that are usually the wrong ones to be involved in. But do as you wish.

A long time ago someone from Nigera (spelling?) send my brother an email and my brother.. not being very smart and thinking things over.. fell right into the trap, ill sum it up for you..

This girl msged him that she saw him on yahoo personals, she then went on to how she wanted to "get to kno him" and all that stuff.. they talked on yahoo messenger for a long time, and even cam to cam, they were "close" as he calls it, well after only A MONTH of talking she sends him this email saying "im going to send you a money order, you cash it and send it back to me in your dollars, and ill come see you"

NOW MY BROTHER SHOULD HAVE SAID NOOOOOOO THANK YOU!
but, he didnt

He cashed the check, and got a money order and sent it back to her, only she never came and she never gave the money back, and his bank called shortly after saying the check he cashed was not legit and there was not even such a bank in that place.. now my brother will be paying off a loan for a looooong time for something so silly, he contacted the fbi, and local police, at this time there was so many of these problems going on, they really couldnt do much to help him.. and ... they didnt. they tried to track the mail, but no luck. (this was about a year ago now.. and he still paying on it)

anyway enough, the point is, you really just gotta know someone and trust them before making big decisions

goodluck and ill cross my fingers for you
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:18 AM
going hazy

^ Oh, holy crap. That is crazy if it's true. I wonder how many people actually fall for those Nigerian scams. You hear about them all the time, but you don't often hear about people actually falling for them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I get those all of the time - to me, those are too obvious to fall for, but I know that some people would believe them .
This "John" thing sounds like "Not Enough Information". I would do a little on the header of that e-mail. Money orders are cool, but you can't tell their authenticity until you try to cash it.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:21 AM
SAS Member

i'd agree that he sounds weird, but I would be comfortable with a postal money order. Have him mail it to you. Redeem the cash value from the post office and then hand over the merchandise. As solatil said, they authenticate it on the spot and once you cash it I'm pretty sure that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
If he refuses to use paypal, make him send a wire transfer (western union) or plain cash.
I would be afraid to use PP in a transaction like this. What's to stop a buyer from sending funds with a CC and issuing a chargeback? Under PP seller protection policy, chuck would need to provide a lot of information he won't have in order for PP to dispute it - on-line tracking, proof-of-receipt, valid description of item. I don't even know if that policy covers transactions outside of eBay. I don't know. I just wouldn't.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:16 PM
SAS Member

Re: re: How bad of a scam is this (or is it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solatil
I think him asking you to take the ad down is no big deal, he probably just wants to make sure you don't sell to anyone else.

About money order scams, ask for a postal service money order not one issued by a bank. US Postal Service money orders are regarded as the most difficult to counterfeit. If you cash it at the post office they will check the authenticity on the spot, don't cash it anywhere else. If it's fake, you are not held liable to pay anyone.

And asking for name and address is pretty standard stuff. My brother sells photography equipment on craigslist and he says he gets emails like that. But still, better safe than sorry.
Postal money orders are a pretty safe bet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page