Have you ever traveled to another country alone? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Have you ever traveled to another country alone?

Have you ever traveled to another country alone? How was it? Did you plan what you were going to go and see everyday that you were there? Would you go travelling alone again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 03:33 PM
SAS Member

Language: Yes
I've been to Japan alone and it was awesome. I had a general outline of what I would do most days and one or two days extra just to do whatever incase I found something new, my plans changed and I missed out on something or if I just wanted to have a break day. Really helped me step out of my comfort zone and meet some great people.

If no one wants to go with me or can't go, I'll definitely go somewhere alone again because I really want to go to places like Canada or Amsterdam when the borders open back up and I don't want to wait around for someone to go with me. I think I actually prefer going alone than with people to some places though because you're on your own schedule doing whatever you want.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysrunning View Post
Have you ever traveled to another country alone? How was it? Did you plan what you were going to go and see everyday that you were there? Would you go travelling alone again?
The United States, Belgium/Netherlands, and South Korea.

It was good. I wouldn't want to travel with a companion unless we got on really, really well.

I had a general idea of the stuff I'd want to see or do, but I'd also stray off the path if something else came up.

100% as soon as COVID lifts, I'm getting my a.ss over to Vietnam or the United Kingdom.
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
I've only traveled through Canada alone when using it as a shortcut to New York. So didn't do much but eat there. Have gone on more quality trips to Canada in the past though with my parents. Can't remember a lot of details. Know I've gone to Toronto and also a big greenhouse that is in Ontario. Other places too but I was mostly young.

My state borders Canada, so it isn't as big as a deal as it is for a lot of people when they think of going to another country. It's about a two hour drive there not counting stops. Main planning difference from just going to another state is to make sure we have identification for the border(not really a problem) and some Canadian currency(can get near the border if needed). Much easier than going overseas/traveling by plane I'd assume.

Has been over 5 years since I've last gone. Go by the border every year with my dad but he worries about troubles crossing with our dog, etc.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 06:30 PM
bipolar

Many times - I wouldn't even be able to count them. Different types of trips - when I was a kid I went to stay in Germany for a while with a girl I met when I was travelling around Australia. Other times I've travelled alone - sometimes I prefer it.

You can meet new people if you're feeling up to it and sometimes even just being in a different environment can sort of snap you out of your mood. Especially if it's a very different culture - you're forced to deal with it.

I'll be off again as soon as it's safe to. Will probably be a while though.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 06:55 PM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
I've gone to the US and UK by myself. The US for conferences and things, and the UK because it's where I used to live and I went back there to see everything. It was not a huge deal to travel to these places alone because they are not significantly different from Canada, and also the UK was easier because I lived there. I would be much more nervous to travel somewhere like Italy by myself, because I can't speak Italian. The people I know who have gone to Italy don't speak Italian either, but somehow they managed to survive there. I don't get it. How do people go to countries with a completely different language and just manage to do things? Seems like a pretty serious problem to overcome. Either I'm just an idiot or they're doing something I've never heard of.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Good God, no. I don't even like walking to the library alone. People who travel alone are reckless maniacs*.

* I mean that in a good way, for all you daredevils out there.

The road to poverty is paved with artistic pretensions.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 08:29 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape in space View Post
I've gone to the US and UK by myself. The US for conferences and things, and the UK because it's where I used to live and I went back there to see everything. It was not a huge deal to travel to these places alone because they are not significantly different from Canada, and also the UK was easier because I lived there. I would be much more nervous to travel somewhere like Italy by myself, because I can't speak Italian. The people I know who have gone to Italy don't speak Italian either, but somehow they managed to survive there. I don't get it. How do people go to countries with a completely different language and just manage to do things? Seems like a pretty serious problem to overcome. Either I'm just an idiot or they're doing something I've never heard of.
In European countries a lot of people know English, and people who run campsites and hotels etc usually use it. Menus also often have English translations in many places or images + you intuitively figure out many things and pick it up especially written stuff. Buying stuff in shops isn't too hard if you know the name for stuff then you can just say thanks in whatever language and leave.

I would struggle to travel alone though due to social anxiety which would be worse in foreign countries. Even when I was with my family it took a lot of mental effort to make myself go into shops etc alone while abroad. I don't even visit restaurants alone in the UK, a few times I've sat in cafes alone but only a few times and that was pushing my comfort zone.

It's not something I can do right now anyway, but I guess I'm kind of lucky in that I could go for a daytrip to France, Belgium, etc alone as a test run. North Americans are kind of screwed (well I suppose you can test out Quebec, if you live near there) but yeah you can't easily do a test run like that to see if you can manage a day and then try more, you pretty much have to commit to a long period. I suppose you could escape to the UK though lol just don't get lost somewhere with a dialect/accent you don't understand :')

edit: Maybe it's because I'm from the UK but I don't understand why people visit Europe but just go to the UK, unless it's anxiety related. Like if you're picking just one country to visit.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 08:43 PM
Pesky Pessimist

3x. Japan, England and Hong Kong. Athough Japan was really the only one that counts. Latter two, I just flew there alone and I have relatives to stay over with and to take me around.

In Japan, I mostly just plan a general area to visit a day or two ahead and then just wing it. Language barrier was a bit intimidating at first, but after awhile you will figure it out. And lots of facilities and amenities have ample enough English to navigate. Service people for the most part know enough to get you by, as long as you're in the big city and touristy areas.
But I was much more courageous I was then than I am now. Years of not doing much can put you back into the shell.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape in space View Post
Say Italy for example you could learn a few phrases. I used to always learn how to at least say hello, thank you etc in the language - that's just good manners.

Also you could learn how to ask them if they speak English - I learnt that in a few different languages, plus a few other things. I know quite a lot of Indonesian because I studied it at Uni and I've been there so many times. I know a bit of schoolboy French too that I used. Plus quite a few people will know a bit of English to speak to tourists.

Not so sure if that's the case in places like Korea or Japan though. I think my son said they often don't speak much at all.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:07 AM
England

No but I went off on my own in lanzarote because my family pissed me off
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 04:15 AM
SAS Member

Language: Spanish, English, German
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
If an Erasmus scholarship counts, then yes. For those who don't know, it's a European mobility program that allows college students to study one year of their degrees abroad. I lived in a tiny apartment in a dorm-like building, and spent most of the time alone. I had two people I could talk to and do things with, but we were only "friends" out of convenience, we didn't really like each other all that much. I was miserable most of the time, but I did enjoy the opportunity to visit a few countries, living independently and learning a new language.

Nowadays I don't think I'd ever travel abroad alone for reasons other than work, even though I don't have social anxiety anymore. I've found that when I travel alone I don't dedicate enough time to sightseeing. I just rush through the city and don't appreciate the details as much as I could. Traveling with friends is a much more enriching experience.
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:51 AM
Sas user

yea but not with my own money.

ive only crossed the border into Malaysia a couple times on my own with my own money to escape chinese new year.

believe in urself
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 08:34 AM
SAS Member

I've walked part of the Camino de Santiago in Spain alone and that was easily one of the highlights of my life! Sure, I was surrounded by and was forced to interact with complete strangers, but they were so nice/friendly and that helped out with my SA. I think solo adventures are liberating. I can do whatever I want whenever I want without having to cater to a travel companion. That's more enjoyable to me.

It's a mix of spontaneity and planning for me. I definitely research ahead of time to better understand what's around my destination. Then I figure out what I absolutely need to do when I'm there, what I need to plan for (tickets, reservations, paperwork, whatever), and fill in the gaps in my schedule with whatever I feel like. Research helps fill in the gaps, but it's perfectly fine to wander around and immerse yourself in another culture.

Yes, I'd love to travel alone again once this pandemic is over.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Good God, no. I don't even like walking to the library alone. People who travel alone are reckless maniacs*.

* I mean that in a good way, for all you daredevils out there.
Haha the second bit of your first sentence made me laugh
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango__ View Post
I've been to Japan alone and it was awesome. I had a general outline of what I would do most days and one or two days extra just to do whatever incase I found something new, my plans changed and I missed out on something or if I just wanted to have a break day. Really helped me step out of my comfort zone and meet some great people.

If no one wants to go with me or can't go, I'll definitely go somewhere alone again because I really want to go to places like Canada or Amsterdam when the borders open back up and I don't want to wait around for someone to go with me. I think I actually prefer going alone than with people to some places though because you're on your own schedule doing whatever you want.
Yes Japan! I think it would be fascinating and I would imagine a lot of parts incredibly beautiful. Before you went did you imagine it one way and then when you got there was it how you had imagined?

I agree about going alone to some places. When I go to some touristy places the people I have been with just seem to rush around them seemingly so they can say they've been there. It feels a bit empty and pointless to me going at all then.
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
The United States, Belgium/Netherlands, and South Korea.

It was good. I wouldn't want to travel with a companion unless we got on really, really well.

I had a general idea of the stuff I'd want to see or do, but I'd also stray off the path if something else came up.

100% as soon as COVID lifts, I'm getting my a.ss over to Vietnam or the United Kingdom.
Wow! Quite a few places! That is really inspiring, for me anyway. I've not really, deeply considered going to another country alone before. It would take a lot of planning for me to feel like I know what I am doing and I don't have anyone at the moment that I feel I want to spend days and days with. Vietnam would be really interesting
England is the best out of the UK of course
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
Has been over 5 years since I've last gone. Go by the border every year with my dad but he worries about troubles crossing with our dog, etc.
Have you and your dad had some problems when you've tried to cross with your dog, or you just got your dog?
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I am the slowest replier ever! If I answer some of your replies in a weeks time, you might have forgotten you posted and be like I posted that a whole week ago or something A lot of the time I feel like, get back to people in life quickly or you'll give them anxiety, then when I answer too quickly I just say ridiculous stuff, lol.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 03:06 PM
SAS Member

Language: Yes
Quote:
Yes Japan! I think it would be fascinating and I would imagine a lot of parts incredibly beautiful. Before you went did you imagine it one way and then when you got there was it how you had imagined?

I agree about going alone to some places. When I go to some touristy places the people I have been with just seem to rush around them seemingly so they can say they've been there. It feels a bit empty and pointless to me going at all then.
Which places have you been to? Haha I've gone on holidays with people like that too. They'll just rush around to see every part to get pictures in every place, then they're the most uninterested people once they've gotten their shots. It's so draining.

The only thing I was surprised by was how everyone spoke English because I thought I'd run into at least some situations where I'd have to point or play charades to talk to people but I only had to do that once at the airport. Then again, I went to a place that I think it's actually known to have more tourists/expats than locals there during peak season.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page