Have you ever grown out your facial hair? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Have you ever grown out your facial hair?

I always shaved with a razor and cream until I was 25 or so. I liked having a smooth face and shaved about every other day. Then I started using an electric shaver and it didn't shave as closely so I got into the stubble look and started shaving only about twice a week. Then beginning of 2018 I decided to grow out my beard and see if it would turn out. I can grow a nice beard so I decided to keep it. Sometimes I shave it down to a stubble and let it grow back in, but otherwise I stay bearded.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:57 PM
bipolar

I had a close beard for a while in my early 20's - a very long time ago now.

Don't think I'd do it nowadays though.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical

Have you ever grown out your facial hair?

My beard is less than pretty but itís mine and itís growing again. I always say Iím going to max it out but have usually ended up trimming it or worse ****ing up the trim and having to shave. Iíve done many styles too, L-Chops, L-Chops + Stache, L-Chops + Goatee, Solo Stache, Solo Goatee, Chin Strap, Chin Strap + Stache, etc. My thing about shaving is for it to work you have to everyday or every second day or the stubble is growing back in immediately and my skin is far too sensitive for that, just equals razor burn and bumps which I ainít having at all. Likewise with styles itís far too much maintenance to keep them. I canít do the stubble look as that looks worse on me than a scruffy full beard so scruffy full or scruffy full without the stache is basically my default now. Iíve always loved beards and always wanted one anyway, just wish it was more dense. I think if I shave my head this year Iíll max it out for good. I do try to keep it combed/brushed and oiled with a neckline for some semblance of neatness
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:25 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
yeah but it's too coarse. I dont wanna have a beard i just got lazy and tired of paying for razors. it looked ok if I out effort into it. otherwise it looked messy.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
No don't like it at all, I've grown it for about a week a couple times till it got really annoying & itchy.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Tired

Language: English
I haven't ever not grown it out.

I remember one user from here, upon me letting her see my shaved face, said "grow it back". Which was nice of her. I should have told her to stay thin, I suppose.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:41 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
I haven't ever not grown it out.

I remember one user from here, upon me letting her see my shaved face, said "grow it back". Which was nice of her. I should have told her to stay thin, I suppose.
I remember when I had a beard my best friend at the time commented on it to his Mum - he said, doesn't Don look better with a beard?

God he could be a little prick sometimes. (actually he still can be - we don't really talk anymore)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:49 PM
The King in Yellow

Language: Bocce... it's like a second language to me.

Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:54 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
Jesus that was funny - made me laugh.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:00 PM
The King in Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Jesus that was funny - made me laugh.
Yeah, Hot Fuzz is a great film.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:07 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Yeah, Hot Fuzz is a great film.
The older guy in that clip has been in a lot of movies - he's great. Did you ever see a film called Brazil? He played the plastic surgeon in that.

Very funny but disturbing at the same time.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:12 PM
The King in Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
The older guy in that clip has been in a lot of movies - he's great. Did you ever see a film called Brazil? He played the plastic surgeon in that.

Very funny but disturbing at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKPFC8DA9_8
No I haven't. Kind of looks like a more trippy version of the Hudsucker Proxy, though.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:29 PM
bipolar

Quote:
No I haven't. Kind of looks like a more trippy version of the Hudsucker Proxy, though.
It's like a funny version of 1984 - with all the Terry Gilliam touches. But you're right - it's definitely trippy.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Asleep
I’ve been growing out my beard for about 5 months, just wanted a different look, a change I guess. Maybe I just wanted to hide more of my face. Probably need a trim but I kinda like it. Haven’t properly shaved my facial hair off in years.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:08 PM
Poorly Educated

I stopped shaving about ten years ago. All I've used since is a beard trimmer once a week to maintain the stubble but lately I've been letting it grow. Partly out of laziness and partly because depression kicked in and I stopped caring about my looks. I haven't done anything with it for several weeks now and its coming in pretty thick. Usually I could only stand it for two weeks before the itchiness drove me crazy but I seem to have made it past that point now so I might just let it grow out this time.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyguy View Post
I stopped shaving about ten years ago. All I've used since is a beard trimmer once a week to maintain the stubble but lately I've been letting it grow. Partly out of laziness and partly because depression kicked in and I stopped caring about my looks. I haven't done anything with it for several weeks now and its coming in pretty thick. Usually I could only stand it for two weeks before the itchiness drove me crazy but I seem to have made it past that point now so I might just let it grow out this time.
When I first started growing mine out I let it get really big. But it was just hard to manage and I don't like having to use the beard balms and such because they irritate my throat from having to smell them all the time. Someday I would like to try growing a bigger beard again though, I do like how it looks.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
No don't like it at all, I've grown it for about a week a couple times till it got really annoying & itchy.
When I started actually growing mine, it itched like crazy when I got to the 2nd week mark. I put some conditioner on it and then after I got to the 3rd week it stopped itching, and it hasn't since.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
My beard is less than pretty but itís mine and itís growing again. I always say Iím going to max it out but have usually ended up trimming it or worse ****ing up the trim and having to shave. Iíve done many styles too, L-Chops, L-Chops + Stache, L-Chops + Goatee, Solo Stache, Solo Goatee, Chin Strap, Chin Strap + Stache, etc. My thing about shaving is for it to work you have to everyday or every second day or the stubble is growing back in immediately and my skin is far too sensitive for that, just equals razor burn and bumps which I ainít having at all. Likewise with styles itís far too much maintenance to keep them. I canít do the stubble look as that looks worse on me than a scruffy full beard so scruffy full or scruffy full without the stache is basically my default now. Iíve always loved beards and always wanted one anyway, just wish it was more dense. I think if I shave my head this year Iíll max it out for good. I do try to keep it combed/brushed and oiled with a neckline for some semblance of neatness
I used to want to grow a goatee when I was about 18 or so but I didn't end up doing it, I used to be really embarassed to have facial hair for some reason. I also used to want a chinstrap but it seemed like a lot of work to keep it even. So I just grow the whole thing out instead.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:06 PM
SAS Member

Got a beard right now. Usually grow it out every few months for a month or so, then I get tired of it. I feel it adds another level of irritating maintenance to my routine. Sometimes I get paranoid about how it makes me look older. Also question how it looks at times. It's a full beard and all, but I have these two bald spots on either side of my soul patch (like many others) I don't like. I always wanted to grow one of those crazy Jeremiah Johnson beards but I need those pricks to fill in. Also have the disadvantage of being somewhat blond, so it can look patchy even in areas that are filled in till it gets some good length.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
I've only gone clean shavin once since I was in high school.

Life's Wack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page