Gut bacteria "consuming" GABA - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Ad Multos Annos!

Gut bacteria "consuming" GABA

Quote:
Bacteria have been discovered in our guts that depend on one of our brain chemicals for survival. These bacteria consume GABA, a molecule crucial for calming the brain, and the fact that they gobble it up could help explain why the gut microbiome seems to affect mood.

Philip Strandwitz and his colleagues at Northeastern University in Boston discovered that they could only grow a species of recently discovered gut bacteria, called KLE1738, if they provide it with GABA molecules. “Nothing made it grow, except GABA,” Strandwitz said while announcing his findings at the annual meeting of the American Society for Microbiology in Boston last month.

GABA acts by inhibiting signals from nerve cells, calming down the activity of the brain, so it’s surprising to learn that a gut bacterium needs it to grow and reproduce. Having abnormally low levels of GABA is linked to depression and mood disorders, and this finding adds to growing evidence that our gut bacteria may affect our brains.
Full article: https://www.newscientist.com/article...he-first-time/

˝Girls can wear jeans, cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, 'cause it's okay to be a boy, but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading.˝ーͥ͑̄͊ͣͭ̌̏҉͏̴͇̬͇̳͈͓̲̩̖͈̭͎̼͔͓̠͞ͅÇ̨ͣ͌̐̉̋̔̏̅̐ͫͦͯ̏̀҉̨͚͎ ͎̪̥̪̱̜͙̭harlotte Gainsbourg

˝ وَمــاَ خَفُيــﮯَ گـــَانَ أَعْظَــمْـ ˝

˝Castigat Ridendo ℳores.˝

˝A Diabolo, Qui Est Simia Dei.˝˝Chacun Voit Midi À Sa Porte.˝

˝The most unpleasant feeling a man could ever experience is the morbid desire for the unreachable.˝—Perspicacious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:24 AM
SAS member

My Mood: Lonely
Those bacterias might be chillin'

- I now issue the call, are you ready to fight
Fight all together as one for the right to be free once again
Tonight we will win

I can see by the look that you have in your eyes
You came here for metal, to fight and to die
Defenders of Steel now we are home

Fight for the kingdom bound for glory
Armed with a heart of steel
I swear by the Brothers who stand before me
To no man shall I kneel
Their blood is upon my steel
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Twisted
Thats why taking antibiotic makes me depressed... It kills the gut bacteria.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 AM
SAS member

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0rbid View Post
I think it will be the other way around, the bacteria is the one responsible for the depressive mood since it feeds of GABA which regulates mood in a relaxative way.

- I now issue the call, are you ready to fight
Fight all together as one for the right to be free once again
Tonight we will win

I can see by the look that you have in your eyes
You came here for metal, to fight and to die
Defenders of Steel now we are home

Fight for the kingdom bound for glory
Armed with a heart of steel
I swear by the Brothers who stand before me
To no man shall I kneel
Their blood is upon my steel
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0rbid View Post
Eating fermented foods or taking probiotics helps replace the good bacteria that dies when you take antibiotics.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Would it have anything to do with cortisol, the stress hormone?

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
Very interesting article.

It's a constant battle between good bacteria and bad bacteria in the gut. Theoretically, if you supplement with good bacteria via pilla, it should be enough to tip the balance in the right direction. Also, reducing sugars that feed the bad bacteria helps. Not to mention an overall diet.

I saw a documentary recently about the gut bacteria. They said just before birth, the vagina fills with some of the bacteria the baby needs, so when the baby comes out it is filled from head to toe with these. Also, after that, breastfeeding transfers the baby 700 types of bacteria. Yes, 700, not a typo. Then there is the bacteria we gather from the environment, from coming in contact with soil, leaves, natural matter. They said that is was crucial that we do that, and not only in childhood, but through all our lives. Studies done showed that kids raised in cities, in apartments had way less beneficial gut bacteria cause they were living too clean, not being in direct touch with dirt, soil, trees, bugs, nature in general, literally getting dirty.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Ad Multos Annos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeReloaded View Post
I saw a documentary recently about the gut bacteria. They said just before birth, the vagina fills with some of the bacteria the baby needs, so when the baby comes out it is filled from head to toe with these.
That is why babies delivered via cesarean section are generally born with poor health. However, giving babies a swab of vaginal fluid after they've been born by c-section acts as a 'health boost'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeReloaded View Post
Studies done showed that kids raised in cities, in apartments had way less beneficial gut bacteria cause they were living too clean, not being in direct touch with dirt, soil, trees, bugs, nature in general, literally getting dirty.
I guess that's why my grandfather always wanted us to "get involved" with nature like he used to. He's well reached his 90s now, with generally good health for his age.

˝Girls can wear jeans, cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, 'cause it's okay to be a boy, but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading.˝ーͥ͑̄͊ͣͭ̌̏҉͏̴͇̬͇̳͈͓̲̩̖͈̭͎̼͔͓̠͞ͅÇ̨ͣ͌̐̉̋̔̏̅̐ͫͦͯ̏̀҉̨͚͎ ͎̪̥̪̱̜͙̭harlotte Gainsbourg

˝ وَمــاَ خَفُيــﮯَ گـــَانَ أَعْظَــمْـ ˝

˝Castigat Ridendo ℳores.˝

˝A Diabolo, Qui Est Simia Dei.˝˝Chacun Voit Midi À Sa Porte.˝

˝The most unpleasant feeling a man could ever experience is the morbid desire for the unreachable.˝—Perspicacious
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:46 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacious View Post
That is why babies delivered via cesarean section are generally born with poor health. However, giving babies a swab of vaginal fluid after they've been born by c-section acts as a 'health boost'.

I guess that's why my grandfather always wanted us to "get involved" with nature like he used to. He's well reached his 90s now, with generally good health for his age.
Did the grandfather knew about gut bacteria ? Why did he say to get involved ?

I myself was lucky to grow up in the countryside playing outside in dirt daily, then going eating tomatoes and cucumbers straight from the garden. We sometimes play in rain puddles, that was fun when I was in kindergarden.

We had no pc's back than or consoles and we had only 1 tv channel that had cartoons like once a week, so there was no reason to stay inside.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudChaser View Post
Eating fermented foods or taking probiotics helps replace the good bacteria that dies when you take antibiotics.
How do you know it is good bacteria? What if humans aren't good?

/WYSD
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Stoic Hobo

Fascinating article!

've read that the bacteria can communicate with the host's brain via neurons in the gut lining and the vagus nerve. So, like if the bacteria needs sweet stuff, it will electro-chemically communicate with the brain to give the host a craving for sweets. I've also read that the mitochondria within each of our cells originated as a separate bacterial organism and that viruses can incorporate pieces of RNA into the host's DNA.

So we are creatures of this earth. You really can't say where 'we' stops, and 'other' begins

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
(Mick Jagger)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:24 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Grumpy
This is cool. I've always been interested in gut bacteria. It's essentially a second brain. IIRC, autism and gut bacteria are linked as well. It's no surprise gut bacteria has such an effect on mental states and processes and I wonder if fecal transplants (basically implanting the bacteria of another person to introduce good bacteria to another) can also help with SAS. I know it helps with c-diff. I hate antibiotics because they wipe out good bacteria (at least the broad spectrum ones). There are so many natural alternatives that both kill bad bacteria and keep the good intact, not just in the colon but other places as well like the skin and with infections.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Moron

Off to eat some dirt!

Yeah this makes sense as they found a part of the brain that is part of the immune system.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...nervous-system
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:09 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Grumpy
Quote:
Did the grandfather knew about gut bacteria ? Why did he say to get involved ?

I myself was lucky to grow up in the countryside playing outside in dirt daily, then going eating tomatoes and cucumbers straight from the garden. We sometimes play in rain puddles, that was fun when I was in kindergarden.

We had no pc's back than or consoles and we had only 1 tv channel that had cartoons like once a week, so there was no reason to stay inside.
Being exposed to numerous types of bacteria as a child actually strengthens the immune system. A study was done showing that families that use dishwashers which sterilize everything had their children often grow up with higher chances of autoimmune conditions like eczema, whereas children who are exposed to more bacteria build up stronger immune systems.

I was like that too, using my hands to eat everything and not being over hygenic when I was a child. My immune system is better than anyone's in my family's because I'm guessing, my exposure to so much bacteria as a child. I get sick once in a blue moon in now and it clear up within days.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page