Guitar players or enthusiasts... Get in here! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Guitar players or enthusiasts... Get in here!

So i've been playing the acoustic guitar for about a week. It's a fun hobby and keeps my mind off things when I get in the zone. I started learning the C major scale and finally getting better at fast transitions between chords. I can play 3 full songs and 1 other minus the solo.. "Knocking on heaven's door," and "stand by me" are very nice and easy to play songs, and I love playing "About a girl" by Nirvana, and "working class hero" by John Lennon.

Any tips where to go from here? Should I learn the blues scale or just keep learning new songs? What was your first songs that you learned, and have you progressed a lot since then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:37 AM
SAS Member

Hey, fellow guitar enthusiest here.

I'd say do whatever feels natural and right for you. However, I will reccomend to learn basic chords as that is the basis of most songs. Learn chords and you can pick out seperate notes for a song from those chords.

When I first started learning, I feel as though I should've learned music theory...many say it isn't too neccessary, but I regret not doing so...just a personal thing.

An important lesson to learn is that no matter how long you've been playing, there's always something you can improve and get better at. I've been playing for nine years and I'm still learning certain scales and doing terribly at them.

Do you watch videos of YouTube guitar teachers?

This town is full of monsters! How can you sit there and eat pizza?!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dragon View Post
Hey, fellow guitar enthusiest here.

I'd say do whatever feels natural and right for you. However, I will reccomend to learn basic chords as that is the basis of most songs. Learn chords and you can pick out seperate notes for a song from those chords.

When I first started learning, I feel as though I should've learned music theory...many say it isn't too neccessary, but I regret not doing so...just a personal thing.

An important lesson to learn is that no matter how long you've been playing, there's always something you can improve and get better at. I've been playing for nine years and I'm still learning certain scales and doing terribly at them.

Do you watch videos of YouTube guitar teachers?
9 years!! You must be good.. I took guitar classes like 10 years ago for a month, but basically forgot everything so it's like starting over again.. Ya I was wondering if i should learn how to read music theory, or just tabs for a start.. Perhaps I can buy a convenient beginner's guide or just printout something. Marty Schwartz is a good youtube teacher I've learned a bit from so far!

Today I was practicing and trying to perfect my C chord as the finger placement can be a bit tricky but thankfully i have semi-long fingers. I'm still very inconsistent and can play good then all of a sudden lose composure.

Gonna look into the blues scale more and hope to freestyle a bit in the near-future!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:35 PM
SAS Member

@TheForestWasDark

I'm okay, not very fine tuned...need to practice modes/scales more. You should learn in whatever way works best for you, some of the greats never learned theory or got a college degree in music. Marty's great, he even jammed with Tenacious D! heh

Yeah, learning proper finger placement, especially barre chords can be tricky at first. Break everything down in parts and work on it one at a time very slowly, over and over. Don't rush, that's a big mistake people make.

A great channel to look up on Youtube is Rick Beato, for sure.

This town is full of monsters! How can you sit there and eat pizza?!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 PM
Born Of Blotmonað

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I’ve been playing since I was 10 though I too regret not learning theory. It’s true you can be a great guitarist without it but it also can be limiting in that there are certain aspects of of some jazz music for example where without that knowledge it can be hard to keep up or impossible without it really.

As for what you should work on, I’d say keep learning the songs you like as that’ll keep you more motivated than technique or theory but also work on scales too. If you started with the C Major scale I’d say make sure you learn all the modes for it before you move onto a new scale. There are apps out there that can show you the modes for whatever scale you want so learn the scale everywhere on the Fretboard and then move onto the next scale, be it pentatonic or otherwise.

I’ve started teaching part time now so if you have some questions you can feel free to message and we can chat some more about things guitar.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
I’ve been playing since I was 10 though I too regret not learning theory. It’s true you can be a great guitarist without it but it also can be limiting in that there are certain aspects of of some jazz music for example where without that knowledge it can be hard to keep up or impossible without it really.

As for what you should work on, I’d say keep learning the songs you like as that’ll keep you more motivated than technique or theory but also work on scales too. If you started with the C Major scale I’d say make sure you learn all the modes for it before you move onto a new scale. There are apps out there that can show you the modes for whatever scale you want so learn the scale everywhere on the Fretboard and then move onto the next scale, be it pentatonic or otherwise.

I’ve started teaching part time now so if you have some questions you can feel free to message and we can chat some more about things guitar.
Cool man, thanks! Hmm interesting, will try to learn all forms of the C major scale before anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dragon View Post
@TheForestWasDark

I'm okay, not very fine tuned...need to practice modes/scales more. You should learn in whatever way works best for you, some of the greats never learned theory or got a college degree in music. Marty's great, he even jammed with Tenacious D! heh

Yeah, learning proper finger placement, especially barre chords can be tricky at first. Break everything down in parts and work on it one at a time very slowly, over and over. Don't rush, that's a big mistake people make.

A great channel to look up on Youtube is Rick Beato, for sure.
At this rate i should slow down on learning songs and focus on scales, and the songs I already know. My chords sound a lot better than they did 2 days ago at least. My dad’s friend, who has been playing guitar for like 40 years, lent me Marty’s beginner CD set as he bought his whole guitar lesson collection way back when.

Barre chords are tricky ye, I can only play “Cocaine” right now using those.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 AM
experimental sincerity

You're a quick learner!

I've recently acquired an electric guitar and I'm practicing on it when I have the time and inclination. My sense of rhymth is messed up which makes songs difficult. I find switching between chords less difficult than strumming well. I'm left handed and I don't know if it makes a difference?

Many years ago I had guitar lessons (practicing on acoustic guitar) but by the end of it I knew about 40 chords and could play zero songs. It was most dispiriting. Now I'm using Youtube lessons and the teaching style is completely different, you can actually play something each session.

If I could play Knocking On Heaven's Door and About A Girl, I'd be showing off to everyone who could be forced to listen to me : D

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 AM
SAS Member

one of the first songs I learned to play was "losing my religion" by REM. it was basically just 3 chords. a lot of early 60s songs also helped me when I was learning.

I think you said that you already had some experience with the guitar before, so you're probably not starting from scratch. I'd say, a good practice for you is to play everything you know so far with your eyes closed. Also, play as many songs that make you happy, so it makes the time fly, and it doesn't look like you are learning just to learn.

I don't play too much guitar these days (I've forgotten too many notes from when I used to play every day), I just pick up the guitar and copy whatever it is that I hear until I get bored of it

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Born Of Blotmonað

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I forgot to say... the “Scalebank” & “Guitar Tuna” apps are great reference points for guitarists, the later app has a tuner, metronome, & chord charts which come in great handy for me and during my lessons
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:22 PM
SAS Member

I started to learn guitar in 2007, first song I learned was "Que País É Esse?" by Legião Urbana. Just three chords, easy rhythm, perfect for beginners. I don't have a better tip than the ones said above though. I second this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
keep learning the songs you like as that’ll keep you more motivated than technique or theory but also work on scales too.
I believe it is the better way to learn.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 PM
SAS Member

Sometimes I'd like to learn, but I don't like making lots of noise with people around. I'm too shy for that, so I'd have to live by myself to get into it.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes;1093724445[B
]You're a quick learner![/B]

I've recently acquired an electric guitar and I'm practicing on it when I have the time and inclination. My sense of rhymth is messed up which makes songs difficult. I find switching between chords less difficult than strumming well. I'm left handed and I don't know if it makes a difference?

Many years ago I had guitar lessons (practicing on acoustic guitar) but by the end of it I knew about 40 chords and could play zero songs. It was most dispiriting. Now I'm using Youtube lessons and the teaching style is completely different, you can actually play something each session.

If I could play Knocking On Heaven's Door and About A Girl, I'd be showing off to everyone who could be forced to listen to me : D
Lol i’m also crazy with no life atm and practise like 4 hours a day. I’m sure my obsession will slow down eventually, but it’s quite fun for the time being. Ya I much prefer youtube lessons, some teachers are more clear and easy to understand than others of course. I watch the video like 20 times over sometimes hahaa.. Keep playing at least 30 min a day though and your rhythm will get better prob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
one of the first songs I learned to play was "losing my religion" by REM. it was basically just 3 chords. a lot of early 60s songs also helped me when I was learning.

I think you said that you already had some experience with the guitar before, so you're probably not starting from scratch. I'd say, a good practice for you is to play everything you know so far with your eyes closed. Also, play as many songs that make you happy, so it makes the time fly, and it doesn't look like you are learning just to learn.

I don't play too much guitar these days (I've forgotten too many notes from when I used to play every day), I just pick up the guitar and copy whatever it is that I hear until I get bored of it
Hmm, it probably didn’t hurt.
Nice, that’s a great song... i’ll prob learn it next , but for now gonna take it easy because my brain only has so much RAM.. Yesterday I practised like a crazy person for 6 hours and learned imagine by John Lennon , and Heart of Gold by Neil Young. They’re songs I enjoy hearing a lot so why not.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, will download those apps to @Canadian Brotha ..
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:38 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
Sometimes I'd like to learn, but I don't like making lots of noise with people around. I'm too shy for that, so I'd have to live by myself to get into it.
I used to live with 8 other guys when I was learning to play guitar. This was in university. I would play early in the morning, or when the other guys went out to the club or when most were in their classes while I was at home.

It feels very embarrasing, yes, when you're playing and making lots of mistakes, and sounding terrible, and having everyone else hear you (or perceive that they're hearing you). Worse is when some of them already play the guitar much better than you, and you don't care to hear them gloat.

My advice, apart from the scheduling, is to get an electric guitar and play it unplugged. Then only you could hear it. If you get an audio capture device with it (I have a Roland UA-4FX. A very simple machine), you can just hook it up to a computer and play it without needing an amp and still use headphones and still get different tones and effects, without anyone else bugging you. or you can just play it unplugged.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Broke boy

I'd probably go to lessons if i could afford it and if I wasn't so damn awkward lol.

Learning this song now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page