Flu Shot or Not at 64? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: Algonquin
My Mood: Psychedelic

Flu Shot or Not at 64?

I'm supposedly old and, by this website's standards, certainly ancient. I've never had the flu shot but in 2018 I had a really bad flu that nearly hospitalized me so, since then, it's been on my mind. What do you think?

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 10:26 AM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Doubtful
I get it nearly every year because I'm diabetic. Never had any problems with it.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 01:42 PM
bipolar

I've had it every year for ages - can't remember how long. (I can't remember quite a few things obviously) If I didn't get it my wife would probably kill me so it's probably for the best.

Especially at the moment. Getting the flu and the Coronavirus together would not be good. That's what they were telling us here earlier in the year so I went and got the flu shot before the lockdown.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 02:03 PM

My Mood: Devilish
Depends if you want to increase chances of living to 100 ? or if you're bored now.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 02:30 PM
Locked and Loaded

My Mood: Doh
In our family we have not had good experiences with the flu shot, I got one in high school and was sick for a few days after. My sister took her kids to get the flu shot and she decided to get one too, just to show them that it was nothing to be scared about - She ended up getting sick (Kids where fine). My grandmother had to take a flu shot when she was in the nursing home and she got so sick that she was hospitalized. At this point we just stick to the chance of catching it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 02:39 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
In our family we have not had good experiences with the flu shot, I got one in high school and was sick for a few days after. My sister took her kids to get the flu shot and she decided to get one too, just to show them that it was nothing to be scared about - She ended up getting sick (Kids where fine). My grandmother had to take a flu shot when she was in the nursing home and she got so sick that she was hospitalized. At this point we just stick to the chance of catching it.
Jesus, that's terrible. They got really sick?

My wife was always scared of getting it. She has health anxiety. The worst she's had is a red arm - don't think she's ever gotten sick from the shot, even I'd remember that.

I think I've had a bit of a sore arm where they gave it to me for a day or two but that was about it.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 02:44 PM

My Mood: Devilish
Yeah my father died 3 months after getting the jab, he was 52, though he was already pretty ill before, he went down much quicker after getting the flu shot. .

I think it might work better in someone reasonable healthy to begin with, so your body can actually fight the vaccine enough to build immunity.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 02:58 PM
Locked and Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Jesus, that's terrible. They got really sick?

My wife was always scared of getting it. She has health anxiety. The worst she's had is a red arm - don't think she's ever gotten sick from the shot, even I'd remember that.

I think I've had a bit of a sore arm where they gave it to me for a day or two but that was about it.
Yes we got pretty sick from it so It's made us all hesitant to consider getting a shot again, my grandmother was so close to passing that my mother was almost about to return to the Netherlands to go see her, but thankfully she turned around and pulled through. I don't know if we where already somewhat compromised at the time (I'm sure we where healthy) or if we are just weaklings in general.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 03:30 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Yes we got pretty sick from it so It's made us all hesitant to consider getting a shot again, my grandmother was so close to passing that my mother was almost about to return to the Netherlands to go see her, but thankfully she turned around and pulled through. I don't know if we where already somewhat compromised at the time (I'm sure we where healthy) or if we are just weaklings in general.
Don't think you'd be considered weaklings mate. It's probably just some sort of genetic or biological thing in your family that reacts badly to that strain. (not that I know anything about it obviously)

Are you guys thinking you'll get the vaccine for the Coronavirus when one becomes available?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 03:44 PM
Locked and Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Don't think you'd be considered weaklings mate. It's probably just some sort of genetic or biological thing in your family that reacts badly to that strain. (not that I know anything about it obviously)

Are you guys thinking you'll get the vaccine for the Coronavirus when one becomes available?
You could be right but I wouldn't know either.

Yes I think we will get the vaccine though how soon depends, I have to admit we are worried about how quickly they are coming out with these things since they usually take a long time to study, and what the side effects are say a decade from now. I was reading an article this morning how Qantas was going to make having a vaccine mandatory for flying, I believe that is in Australia.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 04:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesker View Post
I'm supposedly old and, by this website's standards, certainly ancient. I've never had the flu shot but in 2018 I had a really bad flu that nearly hospitalized me so, since then, it's been on my mind. What do you think?
No question about it - flu shot.

One of the more dangerous aspects of flu, is not actually the flu itself but the associated conditions that may develop in the wake of the virus. Pulmonary complications, such as pneumonia and bronchitis are the obvious risks. But it can also ravage your cardiovascular system, by weakening your heart and blood vessels, causing clots, heart attacks, arterial ruptures, and heightening the risk of stroke for months after the infection. So, yes, why play a Russian roulette when you can take reasonable precautions and potentially avoid this turmoil.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 05:30 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
Coming from someone who's never had a flu shot: definitely get one.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 06:03 PM
Failure's Art

Go for it man! I just got one yesterday. I get one every year. There can be complications I guess but you're more likely to die of the flu than complications from the shot. We need you around here for years to come, I can't be the only one with exquisite tastes in music on the forum ; )

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 12:19 AM
bipolar

Quote:
You could be right but I wouldn't know either.

Yes I think we will get the vaccine though how soon depends, I have to admit we are worried about how quickly they are coming out with these things since they usually take a long time to study, and what the side effects are say a decade from now. I was reading an article this morning how Qantas was going to make having a vaccine mandatory for flying, I believe that is in Australia.
Yeah, I saw that too mate - Alan Joyce the CEO of QANTAS said he was talking with the other airlines as well. I hope they make it mandatory before someone gets on a plane - especially if they're thinking of coming here.

Someone this morning even mentioned insisting on Australians returning home at the moment having a test before they get on the plane in whatever country they're stranded in. Also a good idea as far as I'm concerned. It was hard for us to get rid of it here - they need to keep it out. (if that's at all possible)

Sorry for going a bit off topic there OP.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
Go for it man! I just got one yesterday. I get one every year. There can be complications I guess but you're more likely to die of the flu than complications from the shot. We need you around here for years to come, I can't be the only one with exquisite tastes in music on the forum ; )
you may have tilted the scales here, mate.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheska View Post
No question about it - flu shot.

One of the more dangerous aspects of flu, is not actually the flu itself but the associated conditions that may develop in the wake of the virus. Pulmonary complications, such as pneumonia and bronchitis are the obvious risks. But it can also ravage your cardiovascular system, by weakening your heart and blood vessels, causing clots, heart attacks, arterial ruptures, and heightening the risk of stroke for months after the infection. So, yes, why play a Russian roulette when you can take reasonable precautions and potentially avoid this turmoil.
Thanks Sheska, those are good points. I'm inclined to get it.

~bad baby

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for the feedback, all. I learned a lot as, like I say, I've had no experience with it. Lol @Paul , I like your logic.

~bad baby

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 01:35 AM
Pesky Pessimist

I got mine flu shot two weeks ago at the grocery store pharmacy across from home and gifted a $30 giftcard with them as part of their flu shot promotion.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 04:54 PM
SAS Member

You especially need one at that age.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2020, 03:37 AM
SAS Member

Language: English (US)
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Coming from someone who's never had a flu shot: definitely get one.

I've never had one, and I am over 60 years of

Age.

May The Force Be With You.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page