Failed my 7th Driving test :( - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Failed my 7th Driving test :(

Hi guys,

So this morning I failed my driving test for the 7th time, only I usually get around 3 minors, it's always a major that screws me over. Usually it's because of nerves.

Anyway after the test I was confident I passed this time, the examiner told me I failed and I said 'that's complete bull****' and got out of the car. I didn't do or say anything else but I've been reported as aggressive/ abusive and next test I now have to have two examiners with me and may not even be allowed back to my original test centre as I saw red. I rang the centre at lunch time and explained I was really sorry and it was incredibly out of character and I felt so embarrassed (which I do). Nerves took over again.

Anyways, have any of you passed and what tips can you recommend for overcoming driving test nerves? I can drive but now I've been given the unfortunate label of an aggressive person and I can't seem to pass this test.

Just try your best, that's good enough x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:26 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
I still don’t even drive haha. If I tried the driving test I would fail because my anxiety makes me do stupid stuff.

Live life no matter what.. never quit you deserve better.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
I had to retake my written test AND the road test a couple of years back after my license had expired for years because of epilepsy. It was definitely more stressful than I remember it being when I was 16 (or whatever). I'm really surprised I passed. TBH, I think they let me slide on a few things and I know I didn't actually pass the vision test. They probably figured I'd just go buy new glasses. They let me go anyway and didn't say "you failed the vision exam".

I was like "WTF?"

/WYSD
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:17 AM
SAS Member

I suppose try to get more practice to help build confidence. Thus making yourself feel more comfortable, but that's kinda vague advice.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:02 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Angelic
Years ago in the UK, you only had to take the road test; not theory

Nowadays, I'm sure more people fail than they did then

While you SCREAM at your woman, there's a man, wishing he could talk softly in her ear...

While you HUMILIATE, OFFEND, & INSULT her,
there's a man flirting with her, & reminding her, how wonderful she is.

While you HURT your woman,
there's a man wishing he could show her love

While you make your woman CRY,
there's a man stealing smiles from her.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:15 AM
bipolar

Maybe you could try a different place? My son did that - he had tried twice at this one place and we got the sense that the ladies there were pretty tough on everyone, I think one of his mates had the same problem.

So we went to a completely different suburb and the lady was so much nicer. She even said to him to take a few breaths when they first got in the car and said don't worry, this time you're going to pass. That was really nice of her and he was so excited to get it. I had been worrying about it for ages too because I knew how much it meant to him.

Hope you can get it eventually - and don't worry, I would have gotten bloody angry with them too.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:39 AM
experimental sincerity

I don't have a licence, but from what I hear, failing your driving test repeatedly is common. Some instructors will fail you just so you would continue paying for the lessons / test. Don't sweat it and try elsewhere. Losing your temper is never nice, but you can't really do much more than apologise in this situation, which you've done already.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:54 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
I barely passed on the 2nd try . How old are you? Do you have to parallel park? All I had to do was make a few turns and go on a few streets.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:37 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

Seven times might seem like a lot, but it means you aren’t giving up, which is always good. It means you’re patient and determined to keep trying. You’ll pass.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Sorry to hear, nerves actually helped me during mine, I was so nervous I felt physically ill, so I just focused my mind & said to myself I have to do this so I can get a job & survive plus I never want to have to feel like this again : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Don't worry. Maybe it's trying to tell you something. Having a car isn't that great and I never found it gave me any real freedom or happiness.
It's just a worry, expense, and you're constantly ripped off at repair garages and fuel stations, insurance companies...... Etc....etc....

I passed my theory and driving test almost with a clean sheet both on the first attempt. Meh. So what? Didn't make me particularly happy, nor did I even brag about it. The REAL test is after that when you gotta drive on your own with no helper. Although, you do get used to it.

I got ridda my car a year ago after driving for 4 years. DONT MISS IT. I could afford to run to the shop tomorrow and buy a new one. Guess what? I don't wanna. Don't want it. Dont need it. Wouldn't even thank you if you friggin handed me a free car.

So don't worry about failing. It's not that great an experience even if you pass.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 AM
SAS Member

I passed on my 4th attempt.

Attempt 1. I was very nervous and made a major error early on but otherwise I would have passed, the examiner told me.

Attempt 2. I got the feeling during the test that the examiner wanted me to fail as he took me down all the more awkward routes and made me do the more difficult manoeuvres. I was cocky thinking I aced the test anyway. But shockingly he failed me for passing too close to other vehicles saying he almost grabbed the wheel at one point (which was absurd and false IMO). I complained and said it was ridiculous to fail me. He didn't argue with me, he just quickly got out of the car. I was raging to my driving instructor the whole way back.

Attempt 3. I was tired and nervous. Didn't sleep well and was dejected after doing everything right last time and still being failed. Made loads of errors and accepted that I definitely deserved to fail.

Attempt 4. I was nervous but also very focused and serious. I was determined not to fail again. And thankfully I had the same examiner as the first attempt (who would have passed me if not for that error). Passed the test.

So from my experience it's important to be completely focused and prepared (have a good nights sleep, etc.), and to be lucky enough to have good examiner.

Also, my cousin once called the examiner a dickhead after failing her test because she felt she passed. After that she unfortunately kept getting that guy as the examiner and never passed.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:42 AM
On Life Support

My Mood: Buzzed
I had to take it three times...

By the second time I believed that I would never be able to drive, but it turns out that it was the person examining me was making me nervous. I went to a different DMV passed without a sweat .Nowadays, I drive around town in circles as a form of therapy. No stress at all.

I'd say that the person examining you can make your or break you.

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:01 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
I passed mine with a score of 70 the first time when I was 16. I barely passed it, though but all that matters is I passed. The parallel parking is what got me and the woman I had wasn't very nice. She yelled at me a few times while I was driving, which is a distraction. She also said I needed to work on backing out. I think I've done good on backing out. Don't see how there's a right or wrong way to back up a vehicle unless you come close to hitting something. That did happen to me in 12th grade but we both had a blind spot so was told it was neither of our faults. I hit the girl's mirror. She had an attitude with me and I didn't like it at all. I was trying to be calm in the situation. I'm very careful when backing up now but I always have been except for that one time. Seems like everyone where I live speeds. I have almost every car passing me. I go the speed limit.

I think it depends on who you have that's testing you while driving. It can be a hard thing to get over cause sometimes anxiety and driving don't work out good for some people. I'd just try to be prepared as much as possible. If you've done the test 6 times, you'll know what to expect a lot better the next time. So that might help with nerves.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:43 AM
SAS Member

Language: Italian, English
My Mood: Stressed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty196 View Post
Hi guys,

So this morning I failed my driving test for the 7th time, only I usually get around 3 minors, it's always a major that screws me over. Usually it's because of nerves.

Anyway after the test I was confident I passed this time, the examiner told me I failed and I said 'that's complete bull****' and got out of the car. I didn't do or say anything else but I've been reported as aggressive/ abusive and next test I now have to have two examiners with me and may not even be allowed back to my original test centre as I saw red. I rang the centre at lunch time and explained I was really sorry and it was incredibly out of character and I felt so embarrassed (which I do). Nerves took over again.

Anyways, have any of you passed and what tips can you recommend for overcoming driving test nerves? I can drive but now I've been given the unfortunate label of an aggressive person and I can't seem to pass this test.

I can understand your frustration! I failed my test once when I was 18 and never wanted to get back to driving for years, I have decided to get back at it a few months ago but unfortunately I failed my first test in March so up to now I've already failed twice. My next test is on the 24th of June and I'm really scared but I also want to be hopeful. I have very bad driving anxiety and I am a very anxious driver - panic gets the best of me especially during tests or examinations. My psychiatrist suggested me to take anti-anxiety drugs before the test so that they would calm me down. If you have a doctor you trust or even your GP you might want to discuss a similar solution with them? I don't know how to resolve the issues with the driving school apart from apologizing, but if you want to work on your impulsive behaviours therapy might help.

«But the thing that girls know best, is that glitter covers all the ugliness
And they know one thing above all the rest
Sparkle covers evilness
Shimmer covers all the mess
Glitter covers darkness»
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
i didn't succeed all my 268 interviews

only some. not enuƒƒ
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:25 PM
SAS Member

You're only human and theres a lot of pressure and nerves so I wouldn't worry what others think. I managed to pass on my 5th time but for one of them I failed even before I started the engine as the examiner noticed my car tax had expired! (I used my own car for the test). He failed me on the spot and I left the test centre feeling completely humiliated and angry at myself for overlooking this. After that disaster it took a while to get back to taking my test again but I think if you give it more time and practice you will pass it I'm sure. Best of luck to you
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:44 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty196 View Post
Hi guys,

Buy a horse
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:21 PM
SAS Member

I remember in my driving test I was kind of nervous and unsure of what was happening. I asked the examiner what would it take for me to FAIL the driving test, he responded: you'd have to break the law.

In my mind, I thought: that's it?? I felt so relieved that they weren't exactly scrutinizing my driving style; if I didn't check my mirror correctly, or if I parked crooked or anything, etc.

I just kept the car under the speed limit, made full stops, didn't overtake any buses, etc. I made it very boring actually.

But of course, I really like driving and I always felt comfortable behind the wheel. If I felt my driving skills were low (i.e. not measuring distances well, grabbing the steering wheel to tightly, nervous accelerating or braking) it would be more nerve wracking.

If you're ok with how you handle your car, you'll be fine. just check your mirrors and drive safely.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page