Facebook mystery... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Facebook mystery...

I finally caved in and created a Facebook profile a couple weeks ago. Immediately I notice at the top Facebook gives suggestions of people I may know etc.. I don't know any of them of course except one which is/was really bizarre. The one consistently on top is the author of a book I bought sometime in the 90s about a novel, perhaps controversial approach to a cause and treatment of phobias. I'm not going to mention any more than that. The point is how in the world does Facebook know that I know about this author? I've been using Firefox and I checked my bookmarks and I don't see that I have anything bookmarked for this Dr./author so I guess I can rule out Facebook reading my bookmarks. I also consistently delete the history and cookies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Barbells and kittens

Have you said it out loud near your phone? That'll make stuff pop up on Facebook. I use a microphone blocking app for that reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Permanently Banned

Mark Zuckerberg is spying on you
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Have you said it out loud near your phone? That'll make stuff pop up on Facebook. I use a microphone blocking app for that reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope nothing like that. I may have visited Facebook with Explorer which I think has a link to the Dr.s site favorited. Then again I have a lot of favorites and bookmarks and nobody else showed up as people I may know. I think this Dr. was there on the people I may know list from the very time I created my account using Firefox.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Barbells and kittens

Supposedly there's files on all of us stored online and they collect all the information they can about us. If it's true Facebook probably has access.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:50 PM
butterball

My Mood: Mellow
Yeah it is crazy. My mother is the only one I know that uses facebook and she showed me connections the site made to people she hadn't talked about in 20 years. I googled my name a while back and found a site that had my personal email that I used back in the 90s! I completely forgot my username so that was pretty odd to see it there, along with my old phone numbers and addresses.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
1. Look up Supercookies (If you aren't paranoid enough after you do that, you never will be)

2. Did you buy the book with a credit card? Your credit card is tied into everything. You know that, right?

3. Have you ever written reviews about this book on any site that has your real name, address and/or phone number? Amazon? Do you have an Amazon account and have you searched for, rated or reviewed this book on Amazon? Amazon has a vested interest in keeping detailed records on their customers and they have plenty of shady stuff going on with that Alexa thing so.

The thing about cookies and history is that it's unlikely your computer would have any cookies stored that go back to the 90s unless you have had the same computer since the 90s.

Could also just be a coincidence. Who knows?

/WYSD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
1. Look up Supercookies (If you aren't paranoid enough after you do that, you never will be)

2. Did you buy the book with a credit card? Your credit card is tied into everything. You know that, right?
No I don't think so, I believe I sent away for it before I was even on the internet.

Quote:
3. Have you ever written reviews about this book on any site that has your real name, address and/or phone number? Amazon? Do you have an Amazon account and have you searched for, rated or reviewed this book on Amazon? Amazon has a vested interest in keeping detailed records on their customers and they have plenty of shady stuff going on with that Alexa thing so.
No I never left any reviews or anything on Amazon or anywhere.

Quote:
The thing about cookies and history is that it's unlikely your computer would have any cookies stored that go back to the 90s unless you have had the same computer since the 90s.
I may have slipped up and used explorer and I haven't deleted any cookies in a while with that. I may have visited his site not all that long ago to see if he was still alive and if his practice was still seeing patients. His theory is focused on the CVS system and some specialized tests. I have always been interested in getting my CVS system checked out. I may take this as a sign to go ahead and do it. Only thing is his practice is a couple hours drive away and you need someone to drive you because the tests can make you dizzy for a while I think. But I have someone to drive me so that shouldn't stop me.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
No I don't think so, I believe I sent away for it before I was even on the internet.
OK but if you paid for the book, what form of payment did you use? Credit cards existed before you had the internet and they have always been tied to the person's real name. A financial transaction with him might have been enough to create a record that would tie the two of you together.

And it is also possible that he sells information about people he has had contact with.

/WYSD
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
OK but if you paid for the book, what form of payment did you use? Credit cards existed before you had the internet and they have always been tied to the person's real name.
I'm pretty sure I sent a check. The only thing I bought with credit cards back then was if I called in an order for something. Pretty sure I got the book straight from the publisher.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Anyway, yeah. Facebook. Obviously Facebook is creepy. It's not even a secret. If you lived without Facebook for this long you can obviously live without it so unless there's some reason you feel you can't live without it, you would obviously spare yourself any further "mysteries" related to Facebook by avoiding the use of Facebook (however hard it may be these days to avoid Facebook even when you're not using Facebook).

Facebook may be just the tip of a very large iceberg but it has a big red flag on it letting you know there's an iceberg there. Not that you can do anything about that.

/WYSD
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:59 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
You just delete cookies on your computer, but anywhere else that kind of information stays...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:36 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
algorithms are good at predicting info, so even if they don't know that you bought that specific book they can still figure out you're the kind of person who might. They've been known to suggest to people things that point towards them being pregnant or homosexual before the person in question knows themselves.

https://slate.com/technology/2014/10...k-account.html

Quote:
These predictions didn’t come from obvious likes. For example, if someone likes the Republican Party’s Facebook page, it probably indicates that person is a Republican. But the connections used in this research are not obvious. The top likes that were strongly indicative of high intelligence, for instance, were “Thunderstorms,” “The Colbert Report,” “Science,” and “Curly Fries.”

How could liking curly fries be predictive? The reasoning relies on a few insights from sociology. Imagine one of the first people to like the page happened to be smart. Once she liked it, her friends saw it. A social science concept called homophily tells us that people tend to be friends with people like themselves. Smart people tend to be friends with smart people. Liberals are friends with other liberals. Rich people hang out with other rich people.

So if a smart person likes curly fries, her (smart) friends see that and some of them like the page, too. The same goes for their friends and so on. Basically, the liking spreads through a part of the social network that happens to be more intelligent. After a while, liking the curly fries page happens to become a thing that smart people do. When you like it, the algorithm guesses that you must also be smart.
https://fortune.com/2015/12/15/computer-mouse-anger/

https://www.fastcompany.com/40584539...-on-the-screen

Quote:
The tech company most likely to morph into Big Brother has confirmed that, yep, it tracks users’ mouse movements on the screen in an effort to collect more data about that user, reports India Today. Facebook made the admission in a 225-page document in which it answered questions asked of it by the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary.

The company says it tracks mouse movements to help its algorithms distinguish between humans and bots–but also to determine if the browser window that has Facebook loaded is in the foreground or background of a user’s screen. And it doesn’t end there. Facebook also admitted to other device metrics it records about users, India Today reports:

The social networking platform also admitted that it collects information about operating systems, hardware, software versions, battery levels, signal strength, available storage space, Bluetooth signals, file names and types, device Ids, browser and browser plugins (which is almost all of the information available on and about your device), from the users’ phones, TV and other connected devices.

The company also admitted to collecting information about users’ reported gender, people users have removed from their friend list and every ad the user has ever clicked on.

While this should surprise no one, it’s just more fodder for people who are increasingly asking themselves, Why am I still letting this company get so much information about me?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Also Facebook is kind of dying and unpopular these days so there's not much need to sign up to it at this point imo.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:49 PM
bipolar

I don't really mind Facebook too much - it has it's uses. That Mark Zuckerberg gives me the creeps though. He looks like an artificial life form.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:27 AM
Yoink

I refuse to waste my time on facebook, twitter, instagram, linkedin, etc

and since the trolls here at sas got me banned from s&c and politics, i barely waste much time on here either

which means more time riding my bike on miami beach (lost 25 pounds so far), concerts downtown, 3 new jobs in 3 months, python tutorial, catching up with yardwork, fixing up the house, getting ready to move back to chicago when illinois becomes the 11th state to legalize recreational marijuana on jan 1, 2020 and keeping abreast of bernie's revolution

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Very awesome how advanced tech has been getting.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page