"Every therapist pathologizes," my previous therapist said. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

"Every therapist pathologizes," my previous therapist said.

She said to me, they don't of course help the client, but therapist just have to earn income someway.

You know right, that pathologizing story I told you about last year in December or November.

Every private practice therapist does that same thing. Every private therapist. Can you believe that? In order to get money.

I told her I would never do that ever. I would always write a humanistic diagnosis and told her I want to burn every DSM.

I never knew this until yesturday after an hour conversation with her thinking the male psychodynamic therapist I have now and that she recommended me to is a mixed bag.

I told her too about the "intellectual stimulation" part of the negative of why my therapist choose his profession, and she thought it was in some sense "healthy." Oh kay, I'll just agree with that.

I told her about fees and policies and she told me also that it is about income. I told her I missed a session and I didn't plan to miss it and really wanted to attend and I got mistaken on the date so I missed it, and so he had that strict policy to charge me for it. I told her that if that happen with my potential client, I can honestly assess that person if they were being authentic in their concern and would give them just a warning. But again, she told me, it really is about income to support himself.

I told her also, he has three children. No I forgot to say that, but if I did.

The fee I pay him, well my parents, my god loving parents that pay him is $110 a session to see him every week in order for me to work on myself in becoming a clinician. That might be ridiculously a lot for a lot of people but I'm serious about my goals. And personally there's no job that I want other than peer support or being a therapist. And I can't get any type of income without a BA which is taking a while since I go on and off school, having a meaningless direction in early adulthood, and changing ideals several times, changing majors, etc. My parents are working class but you think I'm killing my parents. No not really they earn income through other venues than work.

Anyway, a graduate school program I read about said a person needs like 50 sessions of personal therapy. And I've been in way more than that since the start at age 14. But hey, they support my dream, guess I can start early. My previous therapist also said she's been in therapy for quite a while too.

Therapy in general is weird because I can also read my therapist too since already reading these graduate school study works.

My previous therapist also shared with me, that when she was studying herself she saw contradictions to what she was studying in her therapist. And that therapist was a male. And she shared also, that when therapy was over for her, her therapist still wanted to see her because of the countertransference and also for the therapist's income which is ridiculous.

Sorry for me, I'll be treating primarily severe disorders in inpatient and outpatient clinics in community mental health. Let the government and taxes pay me.

Anyway, I like stories. I know you like my stories. So that's why I'm sharing it. Also, I got the most weirdest, intriguing stares at me in my Abnormal Psychology class for I was the most peculiar, informative, and expressive one even the instructor thought so too. You should have saw the twitch in his smile and his peculiar glance when he first saw me in his office since it was an online class.

Anywho.

for listening.

Gerard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Has B... a ..nNed herself

Re: "Every therapist pathologizes," my previous therapist said.

Quote:
Every therapist pathologizes
...That sounds like a pretty harsh diagnosis!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Has B... a ..nNed herself

How about this for some trivia: 9 out of 11 of the apprentice psychiatrists (or whatever specific title they are given) working under Freud committed suicide.

"Doctor, cure thy self!" is the expression that comes to mind...
-not that, mind you, there's anything wrong with being a bit nuts; it's just whether you're sane enough to know it that matters.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I forgot to mention it's because of clients paying out of private insurance and again for a private therapist.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page