Encounter at shoe store - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Encounter at shoe store

So tonight I went to a shoe store in the mall to look at shoes. I was looking for Vans and there was a salesperson standing near them. He said "Hey, man can I help you?", but I said I was just looking. So he said "Gosh, way to make me feel useful." I didn't know how to respond so I just said, hmm. Then I walked to the back area to look at other kinds of shoes and he was standing in the aisle so when I passed by I said excuse me and he was like "You're fine dude"

Anyway, I just thought it was odd he responded at first like that. I thought maybe he was trying to initiate conversation or something. How would you have responded? It was a young guy like probably early 20s or late teens.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 PM
Dog Lover

My Mood: Cold
“Gosh, thanks for wasting my time with this post”

Idk it doesn’t seem like a big deal. I would need to know the tone he used. Was he being sarcastic? Was he being serious? I need more details. Overall I wouldn’t make much of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live for the progress that you've made.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:21 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
So tonight I went to a shoe store in the mall to look at shoes. I was looking for Vans and there was a salesperson standing near them. He said "Hey, man can I help you?", but I said I was just looking. So he said "Gosh, way to make me feel useful." I didn't know how to respond so I just said, hmm. Then I walked to the back area to look at other kinds of shoes and he was standing in the aisle so when I passed by I said excuse me and he was like "You're fine dude"

Anyway, I just thought it was odd he responded at first like that. I thought maybe he was trying to initiate conversation or something. How would you have responded? It was a young guy like probably early 20s or late teens.
Yeah, I think his initial response was weird. How many sales-people actually think you want them to come over and help you? Especially straight away. That would be very annoying. It's pretty much standard practice for everyone to say I'm just looking.

He should offer, then go away. If I want someone to help me I go and ask them.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:33 AM
Big Boo's Haunt

Sounds like he was trying to make a joke but didn't execute it very well.

**** you and your mandatory custom signature.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 03:43 AM
untitled document

Language: None
Just sounds to me like he accidentally casually spoke his inner thoughts in a situation where he shouldn't have. It's perfectly natural for him to feel frustrated by people not wanting help, because it's what he gets paid for. Likewise it's perfectly natural for customers to brush him off not wanting to be helped or sales pitched. It probably happened dozens of times that day, and that time he let out a sarcastic jokey remark about it. Nothing to do with you really.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:57 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
I hate when workers wander over and ask if you need help. No. I don't thanks. I think they're just trying to find out of you're gonna shoplift or not. It's maybe to see what your response or reaction is. A person likely to be planning to steal is likely to be edgy or nervous. Asking then such a question could panic them or put them off the theft. I've noticed They don't seem to do this in supermarkets tho.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrensik View Post
“Gosh, thanks for wasting my time with this post”

Idk it doesn’t seem like a big deal. I would need to know the tone he used. Was he being sarcastic? Was he being serious? I need more details. Overall I wouldn’t make much of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He sounded sarcastic, but the tone was really odd, as if he was talking to himself or something. I mean, I wasn't offended by it at all, but it did seem a little strange. Yeah, probably just a joke that came off wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Yeah, I think his initial response was weird. How many sales-people actually think you want them to come over and help you? Especially straight away. That would be very annoying. It's pretty much standard practice for everyone to say I'm just looking.

He should offer, then go away. If I want someone to help me I go and ask them.
Yeah, it was a little strange to me, which is why I posted. I imagine he was just tired of hearing the same thing all day. Plus there were few if any people shopping in the store, so it was probably really boring there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Just sounds to me like he accidentally casually spoke his inner thoughts in a situation where he shouldn't have. It's perfectly natural for him to feel frustrated by people not wanting help, because it's what he gets paid for. Likewise it's perfectly natural for customers to brush him off not wanting to be helped or sales pitched. It probably happened dozens of times that day, and that time he let out a sarcastic jokey remark about it. Nothing to do with you really.
Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking too, he just got tired of hearing the same thing. Also, he seemed like he didn't have anything to do, so he was probably extremely bored. I just wondered if maybe I should have tried to talk to him or something. I wasn't offended or anything, I just never heard a response like that before.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:03 AM
Half agony, half hope.

He could've just been joking as well as bored. He's doing his job though wouldn't look too far into it. In retail you get used to people brushing you off or flat out ignoring you. Which isn't your fault, you're allowed to browse haha but I'm guessing he had a bit of a rough day & was trying to use humor as a way to deal with it.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:44 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
I have noticed more of these types of responses from employees at various places. I assume there's got to be something that's causing it. I don't know. Maybe the managers are pushing employees to be more helpful or to try and cajole the customers into buying something. I suppose retail stores are feeling a lot of pressure from internet and if you don't buy something or don't find what you're looking for, they fear you will leave and buy it online. Back in the day I only received that kind of "attention" from employees at small shops (Like radio shack or independent hobby shops). If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Businesses that are under pressure to sell stuff or else are going to be more aggressive. Back in the day, larger businesses were not really threatened by anything so they left casual browsers alone. Now they're feeling the pinch so you will get hounded in places you wouldn't have in the past.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post

Sounded like it was his first day on the job and he was eager to help out. Nothing serious.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Estoylistoparalamuerte

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSky View Post
Sounds like he was trying to make a joke but didn't execute it very well.
This...the OP is reading too much into the interaction. SA does that, though.

Quote:
“What if this is as good as it gets?” - Melvin Udall
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:09 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Think he tried to make joke put of being pushed to try to sell to everyone that walks through the door. Perhaps it was a quiet day for them.

I avoid shops that have employees that pounce on you like this. If I MUST go in I choose a time when its really busy and just avoid the people that work there.

I think this situation highlights how SA works. People without SA would say they were looking and not think a second more about it. We over analyse everything. The chances are you will never ever see this person again and they will have forgotten all about you so stop worrying.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:12 AM
Gone and not returning.

Could be very possible it was just two people with SA interacting awkwardly. Who knows, maybe the employee is a member of this forum lol
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:35 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post
Could be very possible it was just two people with SA interacting awkwardly. Who knows, maybe the employee is a member of this forum lol
Haha

I often think that when I've had an awkward conversation with someone. Only as I have gotten older though, in my teens and twenties I would always blame myself and be convinced I looked like an idiot.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

He did an awkward joke. See it happens to the best of us 😂
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 AM
In Liquidation

Probably felt rejected and it's his own self humoring way to joke to dissipate that feeling in a lighthearted way. Best to not take it seriously, especially given his approximate age. And someone you will unlikely ever cross paths with again.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page