E-mail scams... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

E-mail scams...

I received an e-mail the other day from someone who I thought was going to turn out to be a really trustworthy, wonderful friend (this person found my e-mail address at a forum that I visit often). By the time we exchanged our third e-mail however, things started to get a bit weird...this person, who was supposedly a christian woman in her early twenties residing in a refugee camp in dakar, senegal apparently needed help transfering her late fathers money into my account so that she could get her traveling documents and continue her studies in America. She wanted me to call her so that she could give me more detail, but that's when I said hold up, this person seems to have something up their sleeves.

I decided to do a little research online and this is what I came up with. Apparently, it was a scam like I had thought. If you go to http://www.worldwidespam.info/email-sca ... ar-senegal, you'll read more or less the same e-mail that I got. The most notable differences were the name (my e-mails were from "Victoria Pete"), and the amounts (the amount mentioned in my e-mail was a lot higher). Notice how at the bottom of the e-mail she talks about her mother and at the top she says she doesn't have any relatives (my e-mails were a bit more consistent, less contradictory).

Anyhow, I think what bothers me the most about this is that I almost got sucked into it and that I feel like I was talking to the devil himself. It creeps me out to have come into contact with someone who had really evil intentions...it really sickens me. At the same time I'm terribly disappointed, I thought I had found a good friend .

I decided to post this to share my experience with you guys...just in case. I wouldn't want anyone to go through a similar experience or to get caught up in this dangerous situation.

http://www.419.bittenus.com and http://www.joewein.net/419/419-penpal.htm also has some useful information on e-mail scams.

I wanted to add in case you were wondering how she got the money, she is supposedly from liberia and her father was a chairmain for a big company called Andrews Industrial Ltd, in Monrovia and he was also the adviser for the head of the state in her country before the rebels killed her parents (due to the civil war that took place).

What you think is what you get....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Resist

My Mood: Tired

Re: E-mail scams...

always always be suspecious when someone says they are a christian.

no just kidding. i've received a few e-mails like this before. what are they called? somolai e-mails? kenyan e-mails? anyway, i cant believe some people actually fall for them though.

i was watching one of those tv court dramas once and X friend was suing the Z friend because Z friend received an e-mail like this, asked X friend to deposit it into her account and they both shared the 'profits'.
judges rule? no one won and the judge literally called both of them idiots for falling for this scam. i think it was joe brown

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM
SAS Member

I deem any email I get dealing with money to be a scam. No one is going to give you money, you did not win anything. It's all just crap.

And never never give out personal info online.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

They are called Nigerian penpals...they're really slick.

At first, I thought I was talking to a genuine person who needed companionship. But that third e-mail was what made me really suspicious...I thought there was a possibility that she was someone who really needed help, but then, thankfully, I came across those helpful websites.

It's pathetic, sad and evil how some people take advantage of other people's generosity...

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
insert witty comment here

In Britain we get virtually bombarded with scam mail. They usualy tell you that you have won the Yahoo-Google-Australian Lottery or something. 1 million will be yours if you transfer a small fee of a few hundred to them.

Then there are the 'Christians'. They are Nigerian (mostly) and always desperately need your cash. You can spot them in your inbox straight away. The subject line is always very 'Christian' and full of grammar mistakes.

It's gotten to the point now where an Englishman actually published a book about all the scam mail he received. It's title is taken from the most commonly used subject line:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greetings-Je.../dp/1905128088
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I guess I don't get alot of spam e-mails, this one just kind of slipped through. She had claimed to have gotten my e-mail address from wilton.com, a cake decorating website and I thought wonderful, a fellow cake decorator, we'll have lots to talk about. In the second e-mail was when she told me she was living in a refugee camp and I thought, well she probably just needs companionship, so I just kept on communicating with her. She even sent me a picture of herself, she was wearing a black halter top with trendy jeans, I thought wow she's doing pretty good in the refugee camp over there...turns out they just send you a picture of someone from a modelling agency or something. But her appearance, in all honesty, wasn't something that brought me too much concern, I just assumed her clothes were donated, same thing with her access to the internet.

Anyhow, I'm slowly getting over this little experience. I have to admit, I was pretty upset and disappointed that I was (almost) played, but now I think I'm ready to just laugh it off. I wanted to add that this scam is also called the advance fee fraud and the 419 scam, in case you were wondering. I think they'll even go through the trouble of sending you a false death certificate and bank account, if you continue to communicate with them.

Sigh...I'll survive...

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 AM
killer of conversations

I'm sorry, people are such d*ckheads lol.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:21 PM

OMG, I get these kind of e-mails on a daily basis, but I just delete them. I feel badly for anyone that falls for them.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I wanted to add that the subject lines in my case weren't conspicuously christian. The first one was titled, "Hello dear," the second one was "Thank you for the lovely response," and the third one was "About me and last hope." It wasn't until the very end that I realized that I was being scammed.

Anyhow, I'm over it...I can laugh now I just hope that it doesn't happen to anyone else. Thanks...

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 AM
insert witty comment here

Gena,

don't worry about it. The approach the woman who contacted you took sounds a bit more sophisticated than the ones we get over here. If you have never come across that sort of thing and you are the kind of person who cares a lot about others then I can see how she could trick you.

Then again, she didn't exactly fool you for very long did she?

Lisa
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I just wanted to be as specific as possible...just in case, so that others know what they're getting themselves into if they ever come across someone like that.

Ciao. Thanks...

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:24 PM

there's a site out there that makes fun of these spammers, some guy who strings them along & makes them do crazy stuff & he posts the letters & pictures up on his site...
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I wish I had contributed my e-mails and picture to some website, somewhere...but my first impulse was to just delete them when I found out that it was just a scam.

It would be nice to be able to look through the website you mentioned, mechagirl...I'll have to search for it. If I come across it, I'll post it.

But in all honesty, I'm not interested in poking fun at them too much, I kind of feel bad for them and how they live their lives. I feel a bit embarrassed, not so much for myself anymore, but for them. I think the entire situation is just sad and pathetic and I wish the Nigerians wouldn't stoop to this level to make a living.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

http://www.terrytraub.org/nigerian_spam.html so far is all I've found. His responses to these nigerian penpals are quite funny. He's obviously playing dumb, but they don't know any better.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

His name is Terry Garglebreath!! I needed a good laugh.

He has good links too.

Note: I noticed that this process is called scambaiting. It's meant to distract the scammers and to prevent them from reaching potential victims. Some of the scambaiters make the scammers hold up signs and do crazy stuff. I noticed that http://www.419eater.com has tons of scambaiting examples.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 AM
killer of conversations

Gena that is hilarious =P

Dear Dr. Godfery,

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand--what is a BATH CERTIFICATE? Does
this have to do with personal hygiene? I can reassure you that my family, at
least, does not need to certify our hygiene, though many in the U.S. do fall
short in the cleanliness category. I do hope this little halitosis issue won't
get in the way. You know there is a major obesity plague hitting the United
States right now, and phew! do those fat people have an odor or what! I make
my children take diet pills every day so that the french fries and hamburgers
won't cause them to gain weight, and boy do they appreciate it! Seems as
though the little buggers are practically addicted to those colorful candy-like
pills, and it's all we can do to keep them from emptying the bottle at one
sitting.

Anyway I do hope you'll come and visit us when we all get paid; we'll take you
for a ride on our new yacht! When I am rich I also want to buy a few goats and
a camel, and of course I'll be able to pay my brother's debts so they'll let
him out of jail.

Awaiting your generous and kind response in this glorious new year,
Terry Garglebreath
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 AM
killer of conversations

However, they do have an affiliate which I would prefer to use. I know what you say about the western union, but again, I do not wish the risk of losing my monies from a bad transaction with them. I apologize again for this delay. The affiliate I wish to use is indeed located in Lagos Nigeria. The affiliate is the Mid Oceanic Regional Office of Nigeria (or MORON). The MORON in Nigeria is always trying very hard to get monies from American partners, so I am sure that you can see why I would like to communicate with the MORON in Nigeria.

Think about if you have seen a MORON lately, and if so, please let me know so that we may complete this transaction.

Your monies partner,

David lee roth
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:53 AM
killer of conversations

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm glad you got a kick out of it. He had me rolling for a while too. In the other websites you see the nigerians posing with books on their heads and holding up dumb signs. It's terribly sad looking...

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM

yeah those are the sites Im talking about. I looked through them once & I have mixed feeling about them...its really funny at first & many of these crooks deserve it... but at the same time, I dont know why I feel like its kinda mean...like maybe it goes too far?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page