Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Driving advice?

5K views 135 replies 28 participants last post by  Kevin001 
#1 ·
I really want to get better at driving and start driving myself to places. It would open so many doors. I got my license at 21 on my 2nd attempt but I've never owned a car and only driven to the mailbox by myself. Haven't really drove in years. My family won't help me practice so I'm thinking about getting 8 driving lessons for $325. But even after that not sure what my next step would be. Should I just buy a cheap car and just sink or swim?

Just need some advice on this.

#2 ·
I'd look for a somewhat reliable, but inexpensive vehicle to start with. One that should you be involved in an accident, you wouldn't be not losing much. I suppose lessons aren't a bad idea if you feel you need them. If it were me, I find area's and times that are light on traffic to practice. Maybe only drive the same streets/routes to start with so that your practicing on familiar terrain. At least until you feel more comfortable, and then you can venture out from there.

#3 ·
Thank you and good advice. Maybe like a $1000-$2000 car.

#4 ·
If you buy a used car, it is really important for you to know how to fix it. Most of the work you can do yourself and will need simple tools to do the repairs. You can find almost anything you need to know, on youtube videos. If you do buy a used car, and breakdown or start noticing problems, you will save a ton of money by doing the repairs yourself, they are a lot easier than one would think. Say something simple, like a water pump costing you $30 in parts and three hours of work, that could shoot up to hundreds of dollars at a garage.

You really don't need experience, you don't need to be a mechanic to do most of the repairs, it just requires a little patience, the right tools (mine are cheapo Walmart ones), and a guide such as youtube. Specialty tools are almost always available cheaply to rent, at auto part shops, so you don't need to buy those. Once the engine, computer or transmission go, I would say just get another car, unless you get really good at repairs. Everything else though, you should be able to repair fairly easily.

If you rely on a garage to do the repairs, it gets really expensive when things start breaking down, which is almost always inevitable with used cars with 150k + miles. Plus you never know how the previous person drove the car you are buying, they could have beat it to a pulp, then there are just lemons that have one problem after another, right out of the dealership.

Before buying a used car, be sure to do a lot of research online as for what to look out for, how to do a proper inspection, this will help you in the long run.

If you buy a new car, get one that has a good warranty that will last as long as your payments.

#9 ·
Because I could use the practice, not a good driver and my anxiety issues. Thanks for the advice :).

After seeing a few posts on SAS before I think the driving tests are probably a good idea. Tbh I'm not sure buying a car straight off is a good idea - maybe you should see how you are at driving before committing to that?

I'm not trying to be rude Kevin and not saying it applies to you - but some people just don't seem suited to driving. Whether it was their anxiety or what I don't know - but it pays to be careful.
Not tests just lessons but the only way I could ever practice after that is buy getting a car.

#6 ·
After seeing a few posts on SAS before I think the driving tests are probably a good idea. Tbh I'm not sure buying a car straight off is a good idea - maybe you should see how you are at driving before committing to that?

I'm not trying to be rude Kevin and not saying it applies to you - but some people just don't seem suited to driving. Whether it was their anxiety or what I don't know - but it pays to be careful.

#7 ·
1. Get yourself a car
2. Driving lessons (if you are not confident practicing yourself with car).
3. Practice yourself further with car in light traffic areas. Gradually drive in heavier traffic and farther distance as comfortable.

Pretty much what Fever Dream said in terms of starting advice.

#8 ·
It has taken me months to get used to driving, even after getting a driver license. That is probably mostly because I have been driving to new places everyday, a lot of the time in a very crowded city, and the unfamiliarity is scary. I am getting more and more used to it though even though I have been scared every time, things actually go fine. In my span of driving for about 6 months I have only been honked at 4 times, two of those in a roundabout because I was a bit slow to get started after the route was clear. I am pretty satisfied with that actually..

#11 ·
That is awesome!

#14 ·
IMO, used ares are the way to go but buying one is also a minefield of uncertainty unless you know cars or you know somebody who is honest and knows cars.

You could theoretically buy the cheapest piece of crap you can find and put new tires on it and drive it for years. You could also theoretically buy something that costs a lot more and looks great and has no signs of trouble and have a total loss on it in a year.

Since you're asking, I assume you don't know cars and don't know anyone who does. So there's lots of risk.

#16 ·
I really want to get better at driving and start driving myself to places. It would open so many doors. I got my license at 21 on my 2nd attempt but I've never owned a car and only driven to the mailbox by myself. Haven't really drove in years. My family won't help me practice so I'm thinking about getting 8 driving lessons for $325. But even after that not sure what my next step would be. Should I just buy a cheap car and just sink or swim?

Just need some advice on this.
are you able to do "car sharing"? maybe that can help you, especially if you're not expecting to drive so often.

#18 ·
No friends bro.

Well, I guess probably my best advice in that case is to insist that they let you take it to a garage and have it looked at. The most obvious things to watch out for are tires, brakes, suspension system, exhaust system and electrical problems (you do not want a car with any serious electrical problems, as they will leave you stranded and cost an arm and a leg to diagnose if the cause is not completely obvious). A set of new tires will take a chunk out of you. Getting brakes done right for a good price is also tricky if they figure you for someone who doesn't know the difference. Exhaust or suspension/steering work is a nightmare.

Basically, if you have to do more than put oil and gas in it, you might as well get rid of it and buy another cheap car.
Yeah I wouldn't be driving much just the basics.

#19 ·
The thing is Kevin - it's not just having to repair things with a cheap, old car - it's safety as well. When I was young I had so many crap cars - a lot were probably not really road-worthy. I was insane. It's good to have one checked as willyoustopdave said.

Here we have a thing where the RACV or NRMA will completely check the car for you - it used to be a hundred bucks or maybe more. An excellent idea. I told my son to do it before he bought his first car and remarkably he actually did it. Then at least you know whether it's been in an accident or not.

#20 ·
^^ Thanks I'm just ready to start living.

#24 ·
Never been:

a test since 1993

or new / fresh licence.. NUMBAAHH!

FORMS...!!! NAAAME!!! excitinnggg!! ADDRESSSS TOO!! WOW!! 5000 extra parameters about UUUU!!!

YOOUURRRRR LIIcense (Incense?) IFF KNOWWN?? how react to that? as passywordy, DOOOO UUUUUU KNOWWWW ANNYYthinngg???

reaction was: if insert licenseyNummBaah? be told there is another wiv the nummbahh so cannot have. howevva... very successful! same forevva! very pleasant. could been otherwise. only 2 ways. maintain same √ :O

on each refresh/re-reg/RENEW!!! allocate absolute new random code?

#26 ·
Some other options are to find a school or somewhere with a marked course that you can practice doing until you get the feel for things.
If you don't have family or a friend that can let you practice with theirs you can get a cheap rental to use when you time for it instead of investing in a car.

#27 ·
If I can drive by myself I'd rather get my own car then a rental lol. Still aways from driving alone.

#28 ·
mm the thing about practicing at night is darkness seriously compromises depth perception/how far away you think you are in relation to the cars around you (you'll have to be especially careful with the timing on that left turn, for example).

#30 ·
Okay, I thought a rental was something you could practice with instead of having to pay for a car, insurance and maintenance until you decided it was something you needed and would definitely use. You know cost-benefit analysis. Have a mechanic check out the car if you're buying used and make sure it's not due for a major overhaul of belts and parts.

#31 ·
Okay, I thought a rental was something you could practice with instead of having to pay for a car, insurance and maintenance until you decided it was something you needed and would definitely use. You know cost-benefit analysis.
It's the opposite. A rental requires you to get really expensive comprehensive insurance coverage that you don't need if you own. And you'll be spending as much per day on a rental as you would in a month on a car you own.

#32 ·
I learned and practiced on back roads where there was little traffic. I'd look for an older car, preferably one owner that was taken care of. Look for something with lower miles but not too low. I bought my first car for a little more than that but it lasted me 8 years and all I had to do was oil changes, brakes and a few sets of tires. Then I saved up for something newer and more comfortable. Try to get your first car checked out and know you're getting something reliable. A lot of people waste money on cars that are cheap at first but have lots of hidden problems. Better to have one decent but reliable car to start on and then later get your first "nice" car instead of spending a lot of money on multiple junk cars.

#33 ·
Thanks yeah I don't have anyone to check a car out with me so I'll see but any car is better than no car. I have to get these lessons and a car, my life is depending on it. No buses here and lyft/uber is too expensive.

#34 ·
my advice would be to purchase the lessons bro. so you can have a second opinion WHILE youre driving. someone to tell you what you're doing wrong or right.

other than that i'd say you should learn the simple mechanics of car repair so you're not paying out the anus for simple stuff that mechanics like to take advantage of people to do. oil/fluid changes, brake jobs, engine tune ups, etc. hell, people even pay others $20 to wash their car now. ridiculous.

#36 ·
Emailed the driving place telling them my situation. If I don't hear back I'll call them I guess Monday. Not sure how things work now with the whole social distancing. The goal is to finish lessons in June and get a car in July.

#37 ·
Yeah I wouldn't practice at night there may be less traffic in some places but everything is harder at night especially if it's raining. Whatever car you get just make sure you are comfortable in it. Also might be good to get one that doesn't have real bad blind spots...or add blind spot mirrors they are great. Hardest things in driving are intersections and on ramps and lane shifting with blind spots. Once you master those you've got the hard parts down. Don't be one of those drivers who always wait to the last minute to apply the brakes, not only is it just bad as far as safety you wear out your brake pads/shoes way too fast.

#38 ·
I'd get a car being a beginner. Trucks and SUVs are worse about blind spots. One positive about driving at night is you can see headlights coming from other cars in your blind spots. Also don't finance something that's not still under warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device

#39 ·
Definitely getting a car way less anxiety lol.

#40 ·
I haven't heard anything back about lessons I'm not even sure if they are offering lessons during this crisis. Planned on calling tomorrow but its a holiday....great.

#41 ·
Starting lessons on Monday! Got 3hrs for $150 for now, nervous and excited at the same time :). I got the same instructor I had 8yrs ago oddly. Hope it doesn't rain.

#48 ·
My driving lesson went well, not perfect but went well better than I thought. I go again next Monday. He said I should start looking for a car now and get one. Then practice in neighborhood and outskirts of neighborhood for a few days to get feel of car then I should be able to drive to work (which is like 11mins away). I'll do the lesson Monday and go from there.

On a side not my skin almost ruined it for me, the sunlight beaming through the window was causing my skin to welt and break out in hives.

#49 ·
My driving lesson went well, not perfect but went well better than I thought. I go again next Monday. He said I should start looking for a car now and get one. Then practice in neighborhood and outskirts of neighborhood for a few days to get feel of car then I should be able to drive to work (which is like 11mins away). I'll do the lesson Monday and go from there.

On a side not my skin almost ruined it for me, the sunlight beaming through the window was causing my skin to welt and break out in hives.
Some mild window tint helps big time with glaring sunlight. Not so dark visibility becomes an issue at night, but something like 20-35%. Should run you about $200 on a sedan.
Posted via Mobile Device

#51 ·
Finished my might be last lesson. I did ok, just still nervous about parking worried I might hit another car. Instructor says I should buy a car though. Might get something cheap and go. Just need to continue to practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.