Driving - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Driving

Do you feel anxious when driving?

I always worry about getting a red light camera fine. Whenever a light turns yellow right before I cross, I get so worried. Even though I know I'm good, I still feel anxious.

When I cross lights, I make sure to see that the light is green and I say green.

I was received a fine a few years ago for turning on a red but I didn't even realised I did that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 03:54 PM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
I have my license, but I've never used it, because I have vertigo and I'm afraid that I'll lose my balance while driving and cause an accident. (I lose my balance if I have to turn my head too suddenly, which happens a lot when you're driving.) I can go from being fine to not being able to tell up from down in a flat second. So I would feel very anxious if I had to drive. But I don't drive, so it isn't an issue for me.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM
SAS Member

No I don't feel anxious driving at all. Not sure what it is - I got my licence as soon as I possibly could. I grew up on the north shore in Sydney and there was no way in hell I was going to stay home all the time - we all had our licences so we could drive into the city and have some fun.

Also you needed to be fairly aggressive driving in Sydney - even back then, I'm sure it's worse now. I even worked as a courier for a while in my 20's. The only thing that worried me was that I wouldn't know how to find the places I needed to go to. But driving I've always quite liked. After a while you don't even think about it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Social Pothole

It actually calms me, unless its in congested traffic or the freeway. Or lots of stop and go traffic.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Driving is calming at night when driving around places with little traffic and listening to music.

I hate waiting at stop lights and getting stuck in traffic! Especially when cars are waiting on the other side and you are facing them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 05:29 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Thumbs down

Too much "you can't"

from any bewildering array of scrambled, compounded aspects, worldwide... if.. one hair out of place?

OK, not threats from parents when they were alive, or brother, still alive

but whole world of friends to stomp on one. one internal brain trauma effect via phone, rude hangup only, 4 months in hospital, nothing physical, 3 episodes with many years between life. temporal lobe damage. no operation. only extended rehab.

each discharge, licence submitted. 1 year, outpatients clinic: no more effect, so licence refurbished. never any driving faults, ever. law: all rights! licence only ever revoked IF any driving misdemeanor (other party) if reason was brain, as intoxicated.. no loss of rights! cruel any saying/thinking.. he ever had..a.. ahh.. little thing.. can never do again.. should not, can't, don't! grilled by paper forms. √ any type of rehab? date. any more? dates. last time, 2011. any whole year, no events, clear. fresh licence granted to last 5 years. by phone is only destructive force. still comfy to renew in 5 years. Foreboding onslaught negative.. same as employment.. anytime.. attack/assault to soul.. people decide YOU CAN'T! any time? cuz... ahh in the past.. so accuse.. you can't have or do ever again. Evil roots of such false, generic judgement! each day goes by.. much face eviction? further loss on all fronts!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 03:51 PM
Taking out the trash 🗑

Language: American English, Russian
Driving is mostly calming to me too outside of really hectic or mind numbing traffic. I love late night drives with nothing to worry anout but my music and feeling my tires glide over pavement.

Definitely wasn't like that when I started. I felt like a whole liability even with practice and worried about other drivers constantly. This was amplified when I had people riding in the car with me. Took me a month or so to get comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Indeed View Post
Isn't it a bit early to worry about that at 7 years old?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy396 View Post
I don't believe you at all about the taste. You are vegan anyway, so how would you know what meat tastes like. I get sick of vegans saying it tastes the same and then you bite into it and it's horrible.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 05:24 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
When I started learning to drive I was too afraid to even cross an intersection! A lot of time was spent circling the neighborhood or maneuvering in empty parking lots. For me it took a lot of persistence and many hours. I'd say the key is to get as much practice as you can!

I am only comfortable now because of the length of time spent driving and exposure. In addition to having several hours of experience I had many situations where I was driving with others in the car . I've also had the chance to drive a large truck and take a practice vehicle for spin in an obstacle course

My next fear is driving in a different country - I'll have to start all over with overcoming my fear if I choose to travel someplace where I have to drive on the left and read foreign signs in 2nd language.

I once saw a documentary of someone born without arms who drove with their feet!! I then found out that were several people doing the same thing and vlogging about it on YouTube .

Know and believe in yourself, and what others think won't disturb you (William Feather)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:18 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Yes! But I'm so ready to go out there.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 08:22 AM
SAS Member

I enjoy driving on long stretches of road. In areas that I'm not familiar with that have lots of traffic, I do get anxious.

What bothers me most is trying to get on the freeway when it's either just a stop sign or a right on red light, and there's a lot of oncoming traffic. I always feel like I need to try and go ASAP, but I have trouble with depth perception and seeing what lane the oncoming cars are in. Some say you're supposed to wait until there are no cars at all, but that would take all day. As long as nobody is behind me, I don't get anxious, but as soon as someone pulls up, I start getting nervous that they're going to try to push me to go.

Another thing that bothers me is when there's oncoming cars going at all different speeds, and when you get a big gap, suddenly a car pulls out and you still can't go.

I've been known to go entire blocks further so I can get to a stop light or a less busy intersection just to avoid stuff like that.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page