Does anyone just drive around to get out of the house? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Does anyone just drive around to get out of the house?

On my off days I basically stare at the wall all day with a hangover from the night before. Do you guys travel or visit different towns nearby for the heck of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 07:18 PM
Elle Knight

Nope. I go to work. What do you drink?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 PM
Social Pothole

I use to do this a lot at night when I trusted my car more. Driving around itself generally relaxes me unless it's congestion.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 08:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
Yes, very often on my days off. Some days I go farther than others. But it's a nice excuse to be alone, but not home and play some music. Still would be nice to do it with a friend once in a while.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:15 PM
🧱

Language: None
I just drive to hiking spots so I can get out and see something. The driving itself isn't fun.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:33 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I'd totally do this if I could afford to waste the gas... I love driving.

"Asking 'If there is no God, what is the purpose of life?' is like asking 'If there is no master, whose slave will I be?'" - Dan Barker
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
No, but I go to work and it's too much for me already...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 PM
formerly Shawn81

Language: English
Daily. I have to get out to avoid unnecessary extra depression just being in the dark at home. I'll pick a random direction and go. Just drive and listen to music or something. Park in the shade for a while somewhere with some iced tea and play around on my phone. Sometimes I'll go to a town an hour+ away to see some snow or to go to a restaurant or something I like. Obviously not lately with everything closed. I get very restless just being at home. It sucks going alone and not having anyone who enjoys doing the same like I had in the past, but I still have to get out, and driving somewhere is all I can do.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 12:28 AM
Self isolating from self

Sometimes, but I'm finding it harder to justify driving someplace without any real purpose.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 12:48 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I used to when I was maybe 18-22. I think it would bore me now.

/WYSD
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 01:06 AM
slave

Yeah, I usually find any excuse to get out of the house. Even if I'm on a special mission to get one particular item I'll make it more important than it really is if it means leaving the house for a bit.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 05:34 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I used too for a few years after I first got my licence, but I've seen everywhere of significance within a 100 mile radius of my house now, it doesn't justify the fuel to go farther just for the heck of it.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 01:51 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
With most things closed, I decided to just drive around for the fun of it on my way to the store the other day.

The world is quiet here.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Someone you used to know.

I used to do this a lot when I had a more reliable vehicle. Now I have a huge fear of my car breaking down in the middle of traffic so I keep the driving to a minimum. (Even though it has never happened. Thanks, anxiety.) I miss it though. It's peaceful.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 05:32 PM
Gangsta Crayon

I was thinking about going driving tonight with my music playing but maybe I should save on gas. It would be nice to get out of the house for awhile. I usually dont drive around just for the fun of it since I live in the city and it takes up gas in my SUV to go to three different places that only take 15 minutes to get to.

I used to drive around for the fun of it when I was in 12th grade almost every night. That's the only thing I ever did outside of school cause I didn't have a friend in HS. lol But I went out to eat sometimes with my mom and dad, too. I dont really count that, though.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 05:47 PM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
The roads are too congested in the area I live, does my head in driving in that

plus I'm on 9 points so one more penalty gets me a court date and possibilty of a ban

Dont just do something. sit there !!

Southampton FC
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 PM
SAS Member

Yes! I used to ride my motorcycle a lot when I first got my license at 16. Went full throttle on the country roads near my town. Then I started going off road when the bike was older and I didn't fear breaking it. I also wandered with my car when I got my license. But now I've gotten bored to drive a car, since I make about 150 miles every two weeks or so to go to the mountains.

What I've really fallen for lately is going to the city by car, park on the outskirts, far from the city center, and walk maybe 5 km to the center. I like to do this when I feel lonely but don't really want to see any friends. I just see tons of different faces and somehow stop feeling lonely, it is also really distracting just being in the middle of all that movement, and with all the walk I burn some calories and feel better. And the fact that no one knows me there is a huge bless. Wouldn't be able to have a calm walk in my home town without being spotted by some one I know and getting nervous.

Also getting some city drugs and befriending some dealers is also quite the adventure.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 06:06 PM
acetal dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
I loathe driving in particular lately. Probably tired and burnt out from sitting in rush hour traffic every day for the past year. I used to love driving aimlessly and still kind of do when I get lost. If there wasn't a ban on domestic travel, I may even be tempted to drive a long time alas.. Probably for the better.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryDude View Post
On my off days I basically stare at the wall all day with a hangover from the night before. Do you guys travel or visit different towns nearby for the heck of it?
I used to. Then I started doing it to attend concerts. Now they are all cancelled - Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Albany, Hartford. I don't think any Symphony Orchestra on the planet is having concerts. And they won't for probably a year - or more.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
I don't as often as I used to. I might start doing it more now since I can't go to work and everyone is trying the social distance thing. I live on an island so there are lots of beautiful drives I could take. Driving relieves stress for me. I think that's especially true now that many are staying home and there's little traffic anywhere.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page