Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Does anyone just drive around to get out of the house?

2K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  scarpia 
#1 ·
On my off days I basically stare at the wall all day with a hangover from the night before. Do you guys travel or visit different towns nearby for the heck of it?

#8 ·
Daily. I have to get out to avoid unnecessary extra depression just being in the dark at home. I'll pick a random direction and go. Just drive and listen to music or something. Park in the shade for a while somewhere with some iced tea and play around on my phone. Sometimes I'll go to a town an hour+ away to see some snow or to go to a restaurant or something I like. Obviously not lately with everything closed. I get very restless just being at home. It sucks going alone and not having anyone who enjoys doing the same like I had in the past, but I still have to get out, and driving somewhere is all I can do.

#12 ·
I used too for a few years after I first got my licence, but I've seen everywhere of significance within a 100 mile radius of my house now, it doesn't justify the fuel to go farther just for the heck of it.

#15 ·
I was thinking about going driving tonight with my music playing but maybe I should save on gas. It would be nice to get out of the house for awhile. I usually dont drive around just for the fun of it since I live in the city and it takes up gas in my SUV to go to three different places that only take 15 minutes to get to.

I used to drive around for the fun of it when I was in 12th grade almost every night. That's the only thing I ever did outside of school cause I didn't have a friend in HS. lol But I went out to eat sometimes with my mom and dad, too. I dont really count that, though.

#17 ·
Yes! I used to ride my motorcycle a lot when I first got my license at 16. Went full throttle on the country roads near my town. Then I started going off road when the bike was older and I didn't fear breaking it. I also wandered with my car when I got my license. But now I've gotten bored to drive a car, since I make about 150 miles every two weeks or so to go to the mountains.

What I've really fallen for lately is going to the city by car, park on the outskirts, far from the city center, and walk maybe 5 km to the center. I like to do this when I feel lonely but don't really want to see any friends. I just see tons of different faces and somehow stop feeling lonely, it is also really distracting just being in the middle of all that movement, and with all the walk I burn some calories and feel better. And the fact that no one knows me there is a huge bless. Wouldn't be able to have a calm walk in my home town without being spotted by some one I know and getting nervous.

Also getting some city drugs and befriending some dealers is also quite the adventure.

#18 ·
I loathe driving in particular lately. Probably tired and burnt out from sitting in rush hour traffic every day for the past year. I used to love driving aimlessly and still kind of do when I get lost. If there wasn't a ban on domestic travel, I may even be tempted to drive a long time alas.. Probably for the better.

#19 ·
I used to. Then I started doing it to attend concerts. Now they are all cancelled - Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Albany, Hartford. I don't think any Symphony Orchestra on the planet is having concerts. And they won't for probably a year - or more.

#20 ·
I don't as often as I used to. I might start doing it more now since I can't go to work and everyone is trying the social distance thing. I live on an island so there are lots of beautiful drives I could take. Driving relieves stress for me. I think that's especially true now that many are staying home and there's little traffic anywhere.

#24 ·
Cops have been harassing people here. Some of the staff that deliver meds to our community people have been harassed. So the director typed up a letter for staff to carry on them in case the cops pull us over. Luckily, I can work from home but I still have to go into the office once in awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.