Does anyone else hate tin openers? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Language: English (British), German to some extent.
My Mood: Blah

Does anyone else hate tin openers?

I always really hate using the things! Why it is that even nowadays, only some tins have ring-pulls? Though maybe the (cheap supermarket brand) opener I have is just crap. The other day, I was trying to open a tin of ratatouille with it, and somehow managed to cut my finger and make it bleed quite heavily. The most recent ratatouille tin, from a different supermarket, had a ring-pull. But the tin of assorted beans (not baked beans) in chilli sauce did not. I avoided cutting myself, but it was still a messy pain to open the lid.

–his girl is a tortoise, wandering in the long grass and streaming rain, between fire and ice in a sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 AM
In Liquidation

They always freak me out and I am always extra careful to not want to cut myself. But being extra careful, I cannot summon the strength to rip them open. Once I put in enough strength to finally rip them opened, I have a feeling my hands will slip into the razor sharp edge and severely cut me. Or deeply cut my wrist.

I guess its intent is to be user friendly for people without access to can opener. And design-wise, I guess this is the cheapest and most financially feasible way for them in order to keep costs of can goods low enough.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:35 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
The only tins I've really seen here with ring-pulls are for cat food. I have to use a can opener for 99% of the cans I buy. I use a fork or spoon to raise the lid. I've never cut myself opening a can.

I find paper far more dangerous. I've given myself thousands of papercuts, lol.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:45 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
The only tins I be opening are mostly ring pulls now, beans, tuna, sweetcorn, my sister's/mothers dog & catfood are ring pulls, that said I don't fear tin openers, or cutting my hands, they've been in the wars over the years couple of scars even, where I've had stitches.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:21 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

I think theyíre fun to use, but I havenít used them very often because most of the tins I use have a ring-pull. A few years ago, I was keeping a lot of tins and cans so I could open both ends with a can opener and then cut them up with scissors to make things with them. It wasnít as easy as the videos made it look, and I didnít make anything good.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:39 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
some people have the ****iest can openers that cant open anything. they're just kept as a trap. you need to throw that **** out.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:48 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I've had good results with OXO brand ones. Every other brand I have bought has been complete garbage that rusted and stopped working after a short time.

I generally look for pull open cans whenever possible because they're just easier to deal with. But usually if an opener is gonna rust it starts within the first couple of weeks after you start washing it. I've had the OXO one for a couple of months and not a bit of rust anywhere so far. You can't even trust the other brands when they say they're stainless steel. Typically they will still have a cheap rivet or something that will rust right away. Also the little gears in most of them are cheap soft (sintered?) metal that will start to disintegrate as soon as you start using them and that's what causes a lot of them to stop working.

/WYSD
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:11 AM
Big Boo's Haunt

The only thing I dislike about it is that any liquid in the can might bulge out the top during the opening process, and I always get some liquid on the cutting blade and have to clean it off.

**** you and your mandatory custom signature.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:33 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
You won't hate your tin opener so much when you're stuck down in your nuclear shelter with months of supplies of food in tins and you're left your tin opener up at ground zero with deadly fallout so you can't come out your bunker. LOL. Your tin opener would be your prized possession then.

#nohatingontinopeners

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:35 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
I think theyíre fun to use, but I havenít used them very often because most of the tins I use have a ring-pull. A few years ago, I was keeping a lot of tins and cans so I could open both ends with a can opener and then cut them up with scissors to make things with them. It wasnít as easy as the videos made it look, and I didnít make anything good.
What sort of things? That sounds interesting and something I'd do.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Yoink

I've heard you should wash the can (tin) thoroughly before opening too.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:02 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILOBRAVO View Post
What sort of things? That sounds interesting and something I'd do.
I wanted to make rose shaped jewellery, but it was too hard, so I made these instead:

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:19 AM
SAS Member

i like it. it reminds me of old/vintage supermarkets.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:19 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Back in the 70s they were a lot more common, I remember seeing beer cans with the little tin tabs on them and I was told a lot of people accidentally drank them because they would throw those tabs out in half-empty cans and later drink from them

They were a bit more popular in the 80s than now for food, and some of them were cheaply produced. The tab would often get torn off when I used them, which would then require me wedging a knife in the can and manually pulling back the lid until I could safely yank it off. The only time I really use them now is for Spaghettios, but the one on that can is sturdy.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
I like using them. I mean the ones you use your hands and not the electric ones. I usually cut them about 90% away around and leave a little lid, then squish it inside the can when I'm done. I do wonder if it doesn't leave micro-shards of metal in the food though. I hope not. The pull tab ones seem like they leave the sharper edge.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:29 PM
butterball

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
Back in the 70s they were a lot more common, I remember seeing beer cans with the little tin tabs on them and I was told a lot of people accidentally drank them because they would throw those tabs out in half-empty cans and later drink from them

I heard that guys would put the pull tabs in their beers on purpose and drink them as a macho bravery type thing. lol

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:36 PM
bipolar

The cheap ones are terrible - even just the Ikea ones are a lot better. What I'm not fond of are bent or damaged cans of food. I always like to make sure I get perfect cans - but sometimes the cheeky devils at the supermarket try and slip a few bent ones in too.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:37 PM
SAS Member

I feel like the pull ones are going to cut me on the edges. Also electric can openers can be really annoying if you don't get the edge of the can just right under the blade, it won't open.

Also, I am OCD because I want to wash the top of the can before I open it. Because if there's any dust or somehow bugs or rodents pooped on top of the cans somewhere, then it gets into the contents since the water comes on top of the lid when you open it. Same with soda cans.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page