Do you wear tank tops? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you wear tank tops?

This isn't a rip off of the shorts thread, I was already thinking about posting this.

But do you wear or feel comfortable wearing tank tops? I used to be really self conscious about this, and wouldn't wear them in public other than going out for a run or something on my street when nobody was out. There's no way I'd wear them to school or PE class, except I did once wear one to PE and some girls laughed about it since I had practically no arms.

About two years ago I started wearing them at the gym and then around town sometimes and now I'm pretty comfortable with it. A lot of my gym shirts I cut the sleeves off of which I wear on arm/shoulder days and I love wearing them because I can see the pump. Plus it just feels good, I almost hate working out with sleeves anymore, because they just feel tight.

I worry sometimes that I look like a D because I wear them, but I'm not trying to show off, and I'm not even that big. Although I'm hoping to get built this year.

This week I went to see a movie with a friend of mine and I wore a tank and shorts. They've seen me at the gym wearing cut offs but this is the first time I've worn a tank when we hung out, so I think they were a little surprised. But they said they liked the look.

I think the fact that my arms, chest and shoulders are finally starting to look good has helped me feel a little more confident with them.

Also, I used to go to a really conservative church where they didn't like us to wear shirts that didn't cover the elbows at least. So I felt guilty back then if I wore anything that didn't at least have short sleeves. Now though I don't see what the big deal is, and I know plenty of Christians wear sleeveless, so I think it was just that church.

My mom doesn't really like me wearing them I don't think. If I come home in a tank top like after I've been to the gym she asks, if I wore that anywhere beside the gym. She especially doesn't seem to like the ones I cut myself, because sometimes they're cut down the sides. But my dad thinks I should wear them.

Generally I think it's because my mom likes me to dress up and she thinks they look sloppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
It feels a bit weird because I have really skinny arms, but I do sometimes if it's hot enough. I bought this one a couple of years ago:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1249...ure-tank-black

Then realised I was supposed to tell the seller about VAT because they don't handle it automatically on that site, and had my parcel held up at customs and had to pay extra to the postal service for informing me... (I actually made this mistake before while buying something from Australia I think, but got away with it.)

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
Wear sleeveless tees atm. I used to take any opportunity to wear a tank when I had a decent physique. Now I have all my muscle back but am still fat, I will wear sleeveless stuff, just nothing tight around the stomach (cos that grosses me out tbh). But yeh.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
I try not to wear short sleeves or tank tops because my arms (basically my whole upper arms) are literally covered in loads of stretch marks and I hate them otherwise I wouldn't mind wearing them
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
Wear sleeveless tees atm. I used to take any opportunity to wear a tank when I had a decent physique. Now I have all my muscle back but am still fat, I will wear sleeveless stuff, just nothing tight around the stomach (cos that grosses me out tbh). But yeh.

I have a few sleeveless Ts but I prefer to make my own like some of those dudes at the gym. I feel like they fit me better.

Sometimes I feel fat, but really it's probably because I was always so skinny when I was younger (unhealthily so) and now I'm up to a healthy weight, either because my metabolism slowed down or from eating more.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:22 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
If I wore tank tops, I would just look like even more of a white supremacist. Probably not a good idea for me.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
I have a few sleeveless Ts but I prefer to make my own like some of those dudes at the gym. I feel like they fit me better.

Sometimes I feel fat, but really it's probably because I was always so skinny when I was younger (unhealthily so) and now I'm up to a healthy weight, either because my metabolism slowed down or from eating more.
I literally am fat, but tbh I wear them atm because its so hot and I don't really care much. Everyone is basically scared of me anyway, so I figure it doesn't really matter .

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM
Barbells and kittens

I'm not comfortable wearing tank tops anywhere, even at the gym. I wear them under my t-shirts at the gym and the few times I took my t-shirt off I felt too uncomfortable and put it back on right away. I guess I've got the build for wearing them, but I'm too self conscious. I do wear fairly tight t-shirts at the gym and elsewhere though. Just not a fan of sleeveless stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:31 PM
SAS Member

Im wearing one right now cause the AC in my house is broken lol
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Nope. I don't wear shorts, either. I just don't like showing a lot of skin. Most of my shirts have either half sleeves or long sleeves, and I roll them up during the summer.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Sometimes, I always wear them round the house or while sleeping, cause nobodie's looking & they're comfortable, very rarely out, once or twice in the gym, I have a fairly good build, so I never worry about looking weak, I worry more about if people think I'm trying to show off or something cause that's not who I am, I don't want to make anyone feel bad or have some otherwise negative reaction.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Enlgish
I'm too skinny fat for them atm.
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Poorly Educated

I used to but I like sleeveless Tees better. I wear those all summer long but as my skin condition continues to spread and become more noticeable my days of wearing anything without sleeves are probably numbered.
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:12 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Yeah just not in public generally, modesty thing.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Sometimes, I always wear them round the house or while sleeping, cause nobodie's looking & they're comfortable, very rarely out, once or twice in the gym, I have a fairly good build, so I never worry about looking weak, I worry more about if people think I'm trying to show off or something cause that's not who I am, I don't want to make anyone feel bad or have some otherwise negative reaction.
I know what you mean, I've felt that way too. But I'm done trying to please other people as long as whatever I'm doing isn't hurting them or me. Everyone is going to get offended at something and if me wearing a sleeveless shirt offends them, I'd say they have bigger issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Yeah just not in public generally, modesty thing.
Are you going to a different church or something? Because I've never heard of a church other than the one I left that teaches about what items of clothing people can't wear, and they would teach stuff like women can't wear pants and men can't wear shorts or have beards. It sounds like they're a little on the legalistic side to me, just warning ya.
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:44 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
Are you going to a different church or something? Because I've never heard of a church other than the one I left that teaches about what items of clothing people can't wear, and they would teach stuff like women can't wear pants and men can't wear shorts or have beards. It sounds like they're a little on the legalistic side to me, just warning ya.
My own personal convictions. I'm not wearing one of them super small tanks around the opposite sex, don't want to cause a fellow sister to stumble. Just don't want to wear anything that draws attention to yourself or causing lust for others.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
My own personal convictions. I'm not wearing one of them super small tanks around the opposite sex, don't want to cause a fellow sister to stumble. Just don't want to wear anything that draws attention to yourself or causing lust for others.
Oh you mean wifebeaters? No I don't wear those in public either, I'd be embarrassed. LOL

Although I wouldn't be comfortable taking my shirt off in public, either.
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:24 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 AM
SAS Member

no.
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:57 AM
SAS Member

I wish, I think they're cool and liberating.

Unfortunately I don't feel like I could wear them naturally out in public, even if I got jacked I'd still feel self-conscious about it because it wouldn't be the same - Some people I see out and about can wear them so naturally like it's part of their personality no matter what the weather is like, no questions asked lol.

I live in a nice country with perfect weather for tanks tbh, but it's a racist country and I've been harrassed publicly before for things so trivial so these days I try to stay lowkey and extremely modest/covered-up as a minority so I can blend in more.

I'd probably be able to wear them if I was out with close friends (hypothetical lmao) or something, but even then I hate when "friends" get surprised about something like a haircut or different style :s.

I used to hang out with really judgmental people in my teens... they'd comment on other people's looks/style which made me go crazy thinking how much people are judged just for being themselves. Fashion is harmless too...

I don't wanna exist

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page