Do you want to replace language in your homecountry with English? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Do you want to replace language in your homecountry with English?
Yes 2 14.29%
No 9 64.29%
Other 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 742
My Mood: Cheeky

Do you want to replace language in your homecountry with English?


Do you want to replace language in your home country with English? And I mean those countries which have some other languages as their mother language.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:07 AM
☆ Moderator ☆
 
Silent Memory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Gender: Female
Age: 27
Posts: 6,895
I think if most languages were replaced with English, it would make countries lose part of what makes them them.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Silent Memory is online now  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:49 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!
 
KILOBRAVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The United of the Kindoms!
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,745
My Mood: Angelic
What is your native language , @smoothlinghs ? Your English is probably a million times better than what would happen if I tried to learn your native language and English is really difficult unless you are native of it. So believe me, you are doing well. It has loads of traps and weird spellings and even letters that are in words that you don't even pronounce! . I just dont have the type of brain that can learn languages.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

___________
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride, nobody gonna slow me down. I gotta keep on moovin!

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
KILOBRAVO is offline  
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:33 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 36,883
Well English is native in England though there are 14 indigenous languages in the British isles. (some like Scots are argued to be dialects of English though. Like if you listen you'll probably understand most of it, though if you can't it seems the subtitles are also in Scots... Lol...)

Technically Cornish (England,) died out natively in the 18th century but people have tried to revive it. I don't really see a need to get rid of any of those languages.

Quote:
A process to revive the language was begun in the early 20th century, with a number of orthographical systems still in use, although an attempt was made to impose a Standard Written Form in 2008. In 2010, UNESCO announced that its former classification of the language as "extinct" was "no longer accurate".[14] Since the revival of the language, some Cornish textbooks and works of literature have been published, and an increasing number of people are studying the language.[8] Recent developments include Cornish music,[15] independent films[16] and children's books. A small number of people in Cornwall have been brought up to be bilingual native speakers,[17][18] and the language is taught in schools.[19] The first Cornish language crčche opened in 2010.[20]
(there are 557 speakers now?) Edit: 2000 or so now I guess. Lol it's really weird to listen to for me because I don't hear Celtic languages where I live (..In another part of England):


I think there are probably way more speakers of a few non-indigenous languages here though compared to the non-English indigenous ones.

One of the few things I guess where something can cease to be extinct.
Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:42 AM
Greasy prospector
 
blue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The salty spitoon
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,965
My Mood: Lurking
Already happened, unless you count the designated gealtach areas, which are the hills & bad land the English drove the natives back into, the Irish language is still alive in those areas.

It's interesting how things turned around though, those areas are very much sought after by tourists now, lots of incredible scenery etc, so they have become generally rich area's, with the negative being that more people moving through an area generally degrades it through time & dilutes the culture : /






And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
blue2 is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:12 AM
SAS Member
 
Hopeforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 302
It is already much more popular than our native language.
English is the universal language
Hopeforall is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:28 AM
-
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,381
No, speak American!
CNikki is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Gone and not returning.
 
Owlbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,663
It's a side effect of globalism. The UN's 6 languages naturally dominate.

I know English is hard, but I tried learning some Arabic to converse with a coworker and it turns out she only speaks a local dialect of it. What I had learned was from a dialect on the other side of the world, and she doesn't speak MSA either. It's rather frustrating lol



Eventually all the minor languages will be wiped out, and with it a large part of local culture. It isn't a racist thing either, just how globalism works. In China, Mandarin is replacing all the local dialects.And eventually my coworker's dialect will be sanitized by MSA due to needing to interact with other Arabic businesses in her home nation.
Owlbear is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 742
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
I think if most languages were replaced with English, it would make countries lose part of what makes them them.

I think so also. People have so much different styles to express themselves and a big part of expression is gone if that would be just in English everywhere. I really like to hear original language of programs without dubbing. I think emotions, essence and temper comes a lot with the language people grew up with. I enjoy to listen languages which I don't understand because then it is about other things than words telling meanings. Stuctures of different languages are interesting. It is verbal art.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:52 AM
SAS Member
 
sanpellegrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: The forest
Language: Anglais
Gender: Female
Posts: 298
I come from an English speaking country but I disagree. I think in schools, it should be taught like we learn French, German, Spanish etc. In later life it would more useful for travelling etc. Or perhaps this is a European thing, idk. Learning another language other than your own, as mentioned before, is exceptional.

Our hopes and expectations. Black holes and revelations.
sanpellegrino is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 742
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILOBRAVO View Post
What is your native language , @smoothlinghs ? Your English is probably a million times better than what would happen if I tried to learn your native language and English is really difficult unless you are native of it. So believe me, you are doing well. It has loads of traps and weird spellings and even letters that are in words that you don't even pronounce! . I just dont have the type of brain that can learn languages.
I don't want to say.


Thanks, I wish you could replace my English teacher and give me better scores than she does . I wanted to ask how popular English is in other countries because I am so frustrated to study English and in English. I am so frustrated with folks speaking more and more English. It is not only a slang of teens anymore but it comes also into workplaces etc. I was thinking if anyone has any national pride left or is this same change happening everywhere.
I have no anything against English as a language per se but I would not want my language to be replaced with it.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ
 
Canadian Brotha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Over Yonder
Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 17,796
My Mood: Cynical
I don’t think English should replace other languages at all, but I do think some of us in Anglicized countries should be doing far more to be bilingual for sure. Having another language literally opens up a nee way to understand the world around you. I hope one day I can speak Spanish decently
Canadian Brotha is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 742
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Well English is native in England though there are 14 indigenous languages in the British isles. (some like Scots are argued to be dialects of English though. Like if you listen you'll probably understand most of it, though if you can't it seems the subtitles are also in Scots... Lol...)

Technically Cornish (England,) died out natively in the 18th century but people have tried to revive it. I don't really see a need to get rid of any of those languages.


(there are 557 speakers now?) Edit: 2000 or so now I guess. Lol it's really weird to listen to for me because I don't hear Celtic languages where I live (..In another part of England):


I think there are probably way more speakers of a few non-indigenous languages here though compared to the non-English indigenous ones.

One of the few things I guess where something can cease to be extinct.
Most countries has their own dialects and old variations of languages in different areas as people were more isolated before.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 742
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeforall View Post
It is already much more popular than our native language.
English is the universal language
Do you prefer your own language or English? When you talk with your friends etc.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 742
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Already happened, unless you count the designated gealtach areas, which are the hills & bad land the English drove the natives back into, the Irish language is still alive in those areas.

It's interesting how things turned around though, those areas are very much sought after by tourists now, lots of incredible scenery etc, so they have become generally rich area's, with the negative being that more people moving through an area generally degrades it through time & dilutes the culture : /

It is also interesting how there is no places to go where would have specialities why to go. When everyone are same there is nothing to see.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 742
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post
It's a side effect of globalism. The UN's 6 languages naturally dominate.

I know English is hard, but I tried learning some Arabic to converse with a coworker and it turns out she only speaks a local dialect of it. What I had learned was from a dialect on the other side of the world, and she doesn't speak MSA either. It's rather frustrating lol

Eventually all the minor languages will be wiped out, and with it a large part of local culture. It isn't a racist thing either, just how globalism works. In China, Mandarin is replacing all the local dialects.And eventually my coworker's dialect will be sanitized by MSA due to needing to interact with other Arabic businesses in her home nation.

It is same with English? People might write it properly but they still speak it differently in Texas and New York. Also young people might learn via Internet only slangs and video game-English but nothing about grammar.

I cannot see how some language could be "minor". I mean if there is a country with 12 million people and they all speak their own main language, that is not minor because all of them are speaking it . Also in America they still have native american languages alive.


Is official "English dictionary" (language academy or something) adding new words due to spoken English and new expressions which comes from African/Asian mixed English etc.? Maybe some "nicer" expressions than which tend to end up into urban dictionary.



I am active in a club which keeps a dialect from my tribe area alive. It is not gone as long as I live.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:15 PM
monk
 
andy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chch
Language: english, silence
Gender: Non-binary
Age: 35
Posts: 6,736
My Mood: Amazed
colonisation already tried and mostly succeeded. damn white devils.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
andy1984 is online now  
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Irreversibly Invisible
 
firestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Female
Age: 32
Posts: 4,387
My Mood: Pensive
If every other language was replaced with English, I would be out of a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
I don’t think English should replace other languages at all, but I do think some of us in Anglicized countries should be doing far more to be bilingual for sure. Having another language literally opens up a nee way to understand the world around you. I hope one day I can speak Spanish decently
Exactly. I wouldn't call myself bilingual, but I've lived in foreign countries and had to learn enough of the local language to communicate with people who didn't know any English. Some phrases just don't translate well into English - the nuance gets lost in translation. There's also research on the benefits of being bilingual.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
firestar is offline  
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:48 PM
SAS Member
 
Scrub-Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 13,961
My Mood: Twisted
No. I like speaking french. We're already invaded enough by the English language anyway.

You're Winner!
Scrub-Zero is offline  
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Gone and not returning.
 
Owlbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
colonisation already tried and mostly succeeded. damn white devils.
Arabic wasn't spoken in Africa prior to Islam - good luck trying to find majority aramaic and coptic speakers now. Mandarin is successfully crushing Cantonese. Turkish wasn't spoken outside of a few steppe tribes until that empire started. It ain't a white thing, it's a power thing.
Owlbear is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome