Do you think its to dangerous drinking in different countries other than the USA? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

Do you think its to dangerous drinking in different countries other than the USA?

Do you think its to dangerous drinking in different countries other than the USA?

I was having a conversation with a family member today. He is a long time AA member and true believer. I mentioned I was going to the Bahamas on vacation. He brought up the subject that you have to be very careful when drinking in foreign countries. He mentioned there is a lot of people who get sick and die from tainted alcohol in foreign countries that don't have the same safety and manufacturing standards as we do in the good old USA. He mentioned the recent deaths of tourists in the Dominican Republic that some people are linking to possibly tainted alcohol. Although that hasn't been proven as of yet and they are still investigating from what I understand. So who knows what the deal is down in the Dominican Republic in reality.

Anyway anybody have concerns or think its a unreasonably high risk of being served tainted alcohol when your out of the country on vacation? Now I have personally drank quite a bit overseas and never run into any issue. Some in Europe (France, Iceland) which I don't think is any more dangerous then the USA at all. Not dealing with to many 3rd world countries in Europe with no safety standards at all.

South of the border I guess I could see a bit more of a concern I guess. Although I have had many a drink in Mexico and Costa Rica and never had any issue myself. But I guess when your dealing with these impoverished nations I could see them possibly cutting corners on health and safety in alcohol production.

Although I guess I drank Corona's imported from Mexico or other imported alcohol on occasion here in the United States. So isn't that the same thing as drinking it down there? I don't know if a Corona imported into the USA as to meet higher safety standards then on one purchased at a resort in Mexico?

Anyway thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:32 AM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
If I’m honest this seems an absurd question to me as liquor recalls happens everywhere. Those recalls that have been called in the Dominican happened here in Canada not so long ago and probably in America and other places too, the only difference being that perhaps here there were no deaths but people got ill.

I’d be more concerned about being a drunk foreigner being conned out of my money or being robbed than being poisoned by the liquor, especially if you’re traveling to places where tourism is a huge part of the economy, it’s not exactly good business to have poisonous unregulated liquor as part of your sales pitch to draw people in...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:58 AM
no i'm not alright

Language: 中国語
Well it's not absurd. There's news about tourist deaths from drinking at unlicensed taverns in Southeast Asia, if I'm not mistaken. They served alcohol that was re-bottled and possibly improperly distilled/contaminated.

So I guess always make sure what they're serving you is from the original manufacturer packaging and unopened + untampered with. There's also a huge counterfeit market over there for all kinds of stuff ,including label drugs like Aspirin. Generally streetside establishments and places that look sketchy, I'd be cautious.

Also isn't the safety of ice cubes (/water) a major concern for travelling to the Caribbean?

I don't think any imported stuff you get in the US would be problematic in any way.

I miss the old days; When men were men, women were bicycles, and children were automated inkjet spray printers.

check out my tumblr/procrastination device
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:48 AM
SAS Member

I live in Turkey and we hear about methyl alcohol intoxication here quite often actually. There're high tax rates of drinkable alcoholic beverages in here to make people drink less, so they produce it with methyl alcohol, people buy it because it's cheaper and get sick or worse, die.

I guess, I wouldn't drink it if it's price is cheaper than a reliable or at least common supermarket's prices and wouldn't go to any restaurant which doesn't have much credit.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:07 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I think it's most likely proportional along with other risks abroad. it would vary country by country. if you're in a country where you need to worry about that I'm sure there is a lot more to worry about also.

but I dont drink and I dont travel so I dont really know or care. in NZ I dont see why it would be less safe than US.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:45 AM
All Nightmare Long

My Mood: Twisted
Interesting you asked. I was watching this video the other day. Obviously it's not a reality in most vacation resorts, but still pretty weird.

Gather your party before venturing forth. And if you don't have a party, at least you don't have to wait on anyone.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
If I’m honest this seems an absurd question to me as liquor recalls happens everywhere. Those recalls that have been called in the Dominican happened here in Canada not so long ago and probably in America and other places too, the only difference being that perhaps here there were no deaths but people got ill.

I’d be more concerned about being a drunk foreigner being conned out of my money or being robbed than being poisoned by the liquor, especially if you’re traveling to places where tourism is a huge part of the economy, it’s not exactly good business to have poisonous unregulated liquor as part of your sales pitch to draw people in...
Yea I would agree with you I am more concerned with being conned or robbed then being poisoned by bad booze. Lot more of a risk there. Just read in the paper the other day in Dominican Republic the goverment have increased there inspections of the alcohol industry in response. So now is probably a safer time to drink down there with new inspections in place. As much money as they make in tourist coming down there to party and drink they don't need news like this out and discourage tourism
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:49 AM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Yea I would agree with you I am more concerned with being conned or robbed then being poisoned by bad booze. Lot more of a risk there. Just read in the paper the other day in Dominican Republic the goverment have increased there inspections of the alcohol industry in response. So now is probably a safer time to drink down there with new inspections in place. As much money as they make in tourist coming down there to party and drink they don't need news like this out and discourage tourism
Others make some interesting points here I didn’t really consider. At the same time, seems to me that if you’re traveling you should have a sort of general consciousness about food and drink anyway, lots of ways to get sick when away from home
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 AM
'internet nerd'

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I've only drunk in countries other than the USA. Because I've never been to the US.

(lol but yeah I don't know about non-Western countries.)

edit: Let me see though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balconing

Quote:
Doctor Segura and the British Foreign Office established the profile of the "average practitioner" as a 24 year old British male. 97% of people involved in balconing are men and 61% are British. German and other nationalities are less numerous.[8]
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...f-alcohol.html

Quote:
Three in four people in A&E at weekend are there because of alcohol
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...n-England.html

Quote:
Problem drinkers 'make up 60 percent of alcohol sales in England'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-global-study/

Quote:
"In the UK we don't tend to do moderation, we end up getting drunk as the point of the evening.

"Until culture changes and we become more European and moderate in our drinking, we might have to bite the bullet and think about how to advise people to get drunk drinking less.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47624856

Quote:
Majorca in drive to rein in boozy tourists

Majorca has long been a magnet for young German and British tourists, who often drink heavily and enjoy rowdy late-night clubbing.

The neighbouring island of Ibiza also has a reputation for hard-drinking young partygoers from Northern Europe.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-survey-finds

Quote:
Britons get drunk more often than 35 other nations, survey finds

Meanwhile, cocaine use among people in England tops the same global list
Quote:
The Global Drug Survey, of more than 120,000 substance-users worldwide, also found that England has the highest rate of people having tried cocaine in the world.

In England, 74% of participants reported having used cocaine at some point in their lives, compared with 43% globally. Use of the drug in the past year among people from England who responded went up from 43% in 2018’s survey to 64% this year.
I did not actually know about the cocaine thing, but I can confirm that people are drunk a lot. Depending on where you go you'll probably encounter drunk people during the day who may harass you and sometimes people get violent.

Somehow, I don't think I've ever known anyone who has done coke here. Social bubbles I guess.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:02 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
It can be dangerous in any country, excessive consumption etc, supposedly approx 3 million people die directly from alcohol related issues every year, plus a casual factor in many more suicides, accidents or disease's, but probably higher chances of poor distillation methods & contamination in poorer area's without minimum standards of quality

Even having a legitimate looking bottle doesn't mean what's in the bottle is legitimate, just make sure the seal isn't tampered with, though very difficult to do In a bar/social event setting or poor quality moonshine, you could stick to spirits & just light a little bit & check for a blue flame & you'll be fine.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:24 AM
manic in Bali

You need to be careful in places like Bali - sometimes instead of things like Vodka you can be drinking arak laced with methanol. It can cause blindness and in extreme cases can kill you.

When I was very manic one time there I drank a lot of arak - I look back on that time now and realise how lucky I was none of it must have had (much) methanol in it, if any. It happens a lot up there.

I'd be surprised if they don't do a similar thing in many SE Asian and/or third world countries - they're poor and want to maximise profits. They don't necessarily care about what effect it'll have on you.

https://www.thedosebali.com/methanol-poisoning-in-bali/
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:09 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
World population is still swelling. Must not be that dangerous.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:17 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
World population is still swelling. Must not be that dangerous.
....Ironically on the grand scale of things, I'd say it helps with that with drunken pregnancies

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:18 AM
untitled document

Language: None
Keep in mind that while dozens of tourists dying sounds like a lot, there are 25 million tourists a year in the Caribbean, about 6.5 million of those visiting the Dominican Republic. An elevated risk still isn't a very high risk.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:52 PM
Estoylistoparalamuerte

My Mood: Lonely
Or just avoid third world crapholes?

Quote:
“What if this is as good as it gets?” - Melvin Udall
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I trust alcohol served in first world countries.

Never been to second/third world, but I would only have alcohol in their original manufacturer packaging. So no mixed drinks or cocktails for me or anything on tap.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:49 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
I never had any problems. I had alcoholic drinks in Japan, Korea, Peru, Bolivia, and Brazil. I did hear that the vodka served at some places in Brazil was rotgut but that was just a rumor. And I've never had anyone try to put a date rape drug into my drink either.

The main risks when traveling abroad is getting robbed/pickpocketed and getting run over by a car. Traffic is horrible in the 3rd world. It's cars first, then pedestrians. Chaotic. Cars won't stop and don't give a flying **** about pedestrians. Crossing certain intersections is very dangerous.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:15 AM
manic in Bali

Most of the time you'll be fine. Just don't go drinking the local fire-water. (like arak in Bali - they usually look like water but are very strong) Most bars etc will be okay - you can just order a beer etc and it's not a problem. Always pays to probably watch your drinks though I guess - although I never did - I was usually too bloody crazy at the time to even think about any of that stuff.

In Asian countries you should even check the water bottles tbh - check the lids haven't been taken off and put back on again as they do that too. They put tap water in them sometimes and it'll also make you sick as a dog. (depending on the country of course)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
The main risks when traveling abroad is getting robbed/pickpocketed and getting run over by a car. Traffic is horrible in the 3rd world. It's cars first, then pedestrians. Chaotic. Cars won't stop and don't give a flying **** about pedestrians. Crossing certain intersections is very dangerous.
I hear you on the traffic issues. I rented a car in Costa Rica a couple years ago. Pretty much no one follows any traffic rules and there is pretty much no traffic enforcement from law enforcement.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:35 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I think another problem is not only how that alcohol is manufactured, but how you drink it... Different ingredients and such require different attention and may be more dangerous than usual...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page