do you sleep well at night, or you have sleeping issues? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

do you sleep well at night, or you have sleeping issues?

do you at least enjoy the time you spend sleeping? or you have trouble falling asleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

For the past few nights, I've been eating buttered toast with a glass of milk before bed, and I've been sleeping really well. It seems to work better than a bowl of cereal.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
I've had insomnia and nightmares for about 30 years now. Even if I can get to sleep, it's usually a horrible experience. If I could stay awake for the rest of my life, I would. Bad as being awake is, it's better than being asleep.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 PM
loser

I sleep pretty bad, wake up tired and grumpy. Lot's of headaches too
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 PM
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I've had insomnia and nightmares for about 30 years now. Even if I can get to sleep, it's usually a horrible experience. If I could stay awake for the rest of my life, I would. Bad as being awake is, it's better than being asleep.
How much hours do you reckon you sleep a night?
My dreams are usually not too pleasant either but I wouldn't call them nightmares more extremely irritating, negative. But I often remember them the day after which means I haven't really slept deep enough to be fully rested.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
How much hours do you reckon you sleep a night?
My dreams are usually not too pleasant either but I wouldn't call them nightmares more extremely irritating, negative. But I often remember them the day after which means I haven't really slept deep enough to be fully rested.
Varies a bit, but I average about 5 hours a night. That's usually over two sleep periods. I typically sleep for about 90 minutes to 3 hours at a time, a couple times a day. Sometimes I'll get more, like 4-5 hours. And every once in a while I'll sleep for 8 hours straight. But I can go months without a full night's sleep. I'm basically always exhausted. I also can't sleep in the dark. I either sleep during the day, or I sleep with the lights on. Otherwise I'll never get to sleep because my anxiety will keep me up.

The reason I usually only sleep for that long is because my nightmares usually wake me up. It's not unusual for me to be woken up more than once a day by a nightmare. My nightmares usually involve me being hunted by something -- demons (Satan, a few times), ghosts, cannibals, serial killers, totalitarian governments, zombies, giants, robots, aliens, bears, tigers, giant spiders, etc. Sometimes they're apocalyptic and involve tornados, floods, electrical storms, etc. Sometimes they're horrible diseases involving my body rotting or falling apart on me. I'm often injured, mutilated, dismembered, or killed in my dreams. And unlike some people, I find none of it entertaining.

Not all of my dreams are bad. Some of them are just weird. Or they're upsetting, but not frightening. Like getting into arguments with my parents or someone I care about dying. I very, very rarely have nice dreams. Maybe a couple a year. If I never had to sleep, my life would be dramatically improved. As it is, I'm tired all the time because I can't stay asleep long enough to feel rested.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Sleep at night? What!?

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 PM
SAS Member

Language: Non-Verbal communication
Not anymore, there's too much noises (my ears are pretty sensitive)... I've also been having the weirdest dreams lately

I don't wanna exist
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Varies a bit, but I average about 5 hours a night. That's usually over two sleep periods. I typically sleep for about 90 minutes to 3 hours at a time, a couple times a day. Sometimes I'll get more, like 4-5 hours. And every once in a while I'll sleep for 8 hours straight. But I can go months without a full night's sleep. I'm basically always exhausted. I also can't sleep in the dark. I either sleep during the day, or I sleep with the lights on. Otherwise I'll never get to sleep because my anxiety will keep me up.
I was that way, too, until I got on Paxil. It doesn't do anything for my SAD, but it does get rid of some of the irrational fears, like fear of ghosts or that someone's in the house.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
As long as I tire myself out physically in the daytime I usually have no trouble sleeping be it work or exercise, but I have trouble sleeping if the room is too hot & I also don't like sleeping in complete darkness, leave the hall light on with a crack in the door, if I wake in the middle of the night in complete darkness I've panicked momentarily cause in my still half asleep state I thought I went blind.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I rarely have ever slept well. Even when I slept hard it was a kind of tormented sleep that almost took as much out of me as it put into me and I'd wake up with horrible headaches and not really feeling refreshed. Nowadays my waking life is a nightmare and my sleeping time is (at best) a period of unconsciousness that allows me to not be stuck in the nightmare for awhile. And yet I still wake up feeling like sleeping took more effort than being awake.

Often I wake up and start walking around looking for snacks even though I have taken steps to try to make it harder for me to snack while half awake. So I'll go drag a stepladder in here from another room so I can get in the top of my closet and get the jar of peanut butter I know is up there (because I put it there to discourage my hungry sleepy self from getting to it) and end up eating like four spoons of it and falling back asleep. Then Waking up randomly off and on feeling the dreadful effects of having eaten too much peanut butter at once.

I'll get a Pepsi out of the fridge and start sipping on it in bed and fall asleep with it sitting in front of me and roll over and have the straw go up my nose. Just total random weirdness like that.

Sometimes I'll eat weird stuff that I wouldn't normally eat but do it anyway because it's what I can find that's edible. Like applesauce. I don't even particularly like applesauce. The worst thing was one time I ate part of a banana and woke up some hours later to find I was still holding the rest of the banana and it had turned brown and my room stank of it for like the next two days.

Needless to say a lot of this random stuff I eat has a not good effect on me due to diabetes and not having planned on eating it. So that makes a lot of my dreams a bit more odd than they would be and makes me feel woozy and tired and dry-mouthed and so forth. I'm often miserable no matter what I'm doing is what I'm trying to say.

I got up one night and walked out into the hall way and my dad was just standing there looking at a wall like he had been there all night (I have no idea how long he had been there or why). I thought I dreamed that until the next day when I realized it really did happen.

/WYSD
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
I would say I sleep well but I get these bad kind of dreams bc of a medication I'm currently taking and withdrawing from, not always though.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:49 AM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: In Love
did have a period of a few years where now and again I would struggle with sleep and had to use pills but meditation sorted that out

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Certified Human

My Mood: Devilish
I enjoy sleeping, I have many pleasant dreams. If I could spend all my life sleeping, I would.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:51 PM
SAS Member

When I go to sleep I normally wake up at around 2am to use the bathroom and then struggle to get back to sleep until around 4am. There was a period when I started choking and coughing in the middle of the night and gasping for air. I haven't had that in a while but I think it happens when I've been really stressed out.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 PM
Half agony, half hope.

I have insomnia from time to time but otherwise I'm just a little bit of a night owl & sleep fine.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:17 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
I have a bad combination of:

needing 9+ hours of sleep to feel good
being a light sleeper
being nocturnal

If I'm not working my sleeping hours are about 4am to 1pm. Any little noise will wake me up. For most of my life I have lived with family, roommates, or a boyfriend. You can imagine the problems this has caused. If someone is puttering around the house or even uses the microwave I will wake up from that noise. If they turn on the TV I will wake up. It's much better now that I live alone but I still get woken up by outside noise if I have my window open. Someone starts talking outside the apartment building and the infernal garbage/recycling trucks that come multiple times a week (my bedroom window is on the 2nd floor). If I were a morning person life would be much easier. Daytime is much noisier.

I love sleeping, sometimes I just want to sleep forever. Sleeping is fabulous. I want to live in a forest with no neighbors. Silence.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 PM
womfn

I have a terrible time sleeping. I hate sleeping actually, I wish I was never tired so I could stay up 24/7. I had insomnia for awhile I don't know if what I have now could still be considered that.
I've tried nyquil to try to force myself to sleep. It worked ok for awhile but now my body tries hard to fight off the sleepy effects and it's not fun.

I hate sleeping but I also need at least 8-9 hours of it to function ok. I'm weird.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:31 PM
formerly Shawn81

Horrible insomnia my entire adult life. Can't fall asleep at all without a benzo. Can't stay asleep. Sleep changes drastically in cycles. Sometimes I barely sleep at all, other times I can sleep 11 hours, but feel worse than not sleeping. Lots of buzzing and shivering in my head, especially when waking up and trying to go back to sleep, and dizziness all day, probably from sleep deprivation.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 PM
CWe
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Usually can go to sleep when I'm really tired. The only issue is I get sleep paralysis a'lot. Makes sleeping annoying sometimes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page