Do you like music better with headphones - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you like music better with headphones

So last night I stayed awake way too late. I was lying in bed in the dark listening to music on YouTube with my headphones in, while it rained outside. I'd forgotten how different songs sound with headphones. You can hear every thing in the music and lyrics and it's just awesome in my opinion. Does anyone else like to do this?

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:15 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Headphones are good, but my ears start to get hot after a while.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:45 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
Yes; only time I ever listen to music without headphones is in my car, and then the sound of the car itself kind of interferes, especially with metal.

My mom was always a real stickler about music -- she doesn't like "noise" unless it's from a show or movie she's watching on the TV, at which point even I'll complain that it's too loud. She doesn't like any music except soft piano stuff. Whenever I tried to play my stereo out loud when I was a teen she'd always command me to turn it off. So I got used to pretty much always using headphones, even at home.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:51 PM
The Groat King

I sold my Sennheiser 598s. They sounded fantastic. But I felt tied down while wearing them. Never could get comfortable with them on.
But those combined with a Little Dot tube headphone amp with vintage tubes is probably the best sound I've ever heard in my life.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:38 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

I don’t like anyone else being able to hear my music, so I always listen to it with earphones. I have headphones, but I don’t use them very often. They squash my ears against the arms of my glasses, which hurts after a while.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:02 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
I don’t like anyone else being able to hear my music, so I always listen to it with earphones. I have headphones, but I don’t use them very often. They squash my ears against the arms of my glasses, which hurts after a while.
Mine do the same thing but I still do it. I've got rough patches at the tops of my ears from years of having that happen to them.

I have joked that the tips of my ears are gonna rot off if this keeps up.

/WYSD
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:03 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Yes. I don't even have speakers anymore. I wear my headphones pretty much all the time. They're reasonably decent AKGs and they were pretty comfy when new but the pads are worn out now and they hurt a bit like mentioned above. They still sound great though.

/WYSD
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 AM
SAS Member

listening to headphones is great. I often just lie in bed listening to music on my headphones.

but even better is sitting on a comfortable couch, listening to music in the living room with a good sound system--preferably multi-speaker. The only problem is that it requires you to have your own house/apartment and living room, and no other distractions--none of which I have these days.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:38 AM
FML

Language: Pidgin
Speakers are better but with headphones you get alot more privacy and it can be alot more intimate if there are people anywhere near (compared to speakers in such a situation). Headphones are also cheaper as you don't have to worry about the room you are listening in but they also lack the bass/sub response and feeling you get from larger systems employing speakers. If you have nice speakers/monitors and a room with decent acoustics, you can hear just about as much detail as any headphones will provide, plus a much more improved bass response and more natural/accurate stereo image (because in contrast to speakers, with headphones the drivers are isolated from each other so that the left ear doesn't get to hear the sound coming out of the right driver and vice-versa) that will let you experience and enjoy the dead-center "sweet spot". Decent acoustics means large rooms or rooms that are not barren or devoid of furniture but rather furnished with couches, beds, or bookshelves filled with books (etc.) as these will absorb nasty "echoes" aka reflections/reverberations that often introduce drastic dips or resonances at particular frequencies... You can also manually "treat" a room with absorption panels, bass traps (for corners especially), and diffusers to get a nice and flat frequency response out of the room while still retaining the subtle character/sound/life of the room, and that is something that you also won't get with cans...

TLDR: I guess I'd have to agree, but if I had the privacy, the space and a bit more money, I'd go for the speakers every time for a more sonically accurate and immersive/exciting experience.

Nobody, I'm nobody.
I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo, I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine, and a straight razor if you get too close to me.

Give me liberty, or give me memes!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:11 AM
FML

Language: Pidgin
Before doing any of that though, if you want a huge improvement in sound quality for little money and little work no matter if you're on headphones or speakers, simply:

1. Make sure you have a decent sound card (also called audio interface or DAC - digital to analog converter) if you are on a PC. Newer Apple computers seem to have ok DAC's although I'm not too sure about mobile devices. The thing about mobile devices though is that they are much harder to find audio interfaces for, especially if they aren't Apple/iOS devices, and obviously it will likely ruin the portability of your "mobile" device.

But yea for example something like this would be high quality and work with iOS or Mac even:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...apogee-jam-96k

Or a more regular interface for your laptop or desktop:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...duct_id=UM2usb

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ScarlettSoloG3

You will also typically gain not just quality audio outputs, but quality audio inputs going into your computer as well if you're into recording things. If you buy one of these but your headphones only have the baby 3.5mm jack, you will need a 1/4 inch adapter like this as audio interfaces/external DAC's typically have 1/4 inch plugs: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7139

2. This one is even more crucial for decent sound quality in our era of only consuming compressed (degraded quality from the original recording) media en masse, and that is to download or listen to your music in high quality formats (AIFF or WAV, and maybe 320 kbps MP3 if you must) which typically requires you to pay whether it's a streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music (no longer iTunes apparently) or Google Music or Amazon or Beatport (Beatport offers "full quality" WAV or AIFF downloads but is geared towards djs) etc. Better yet, just buy the CD if you've got the money and simply rip the songs off of it in WAV or AIFF format (formats which both have no file compression involved and are full quality unlike MP3), both of which are also always going to be higher quality than any MP3 or any other similarly lossy compressed audio format via this method (or via any method that involves obtaining an original uncompressed copy directly from a reseller/publisher). But even if you can't get ahold of the CD or a WAV/AIFF copy, you will still typically have much better quality compressed audio by obtaining the music directly from a reseller or even through a legit service like Spotify or Apple Music etc. compared to listening to re-uploads by random users on YouTube for instance. If you pay you will also support your favorite artists which helps them out if they are lesser known. You can also research (Google) and typically find out what formats and kbps (bit rate) these music publishers/stores offer their music in, or what format and kbps their stream will play at!

Nobody, I'm nobody.
I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo, I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine, and a straight razor if you get too close to me.

Give me liberty, or give me memes!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Yep, it makes the music sound better.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical

Do you like music better with headphones

A good pair of studio quality headphones is solid but nothing beats a solid stereo system or PA, when the bass and full frequency ranges are literally rattling your bones
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:20 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
yeah sounds good.

one of the great tragedies of life is that its difficult to go to sleep while wearing them.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
yeah sounds good.

one of the great tragedies of life is that its difficult to go to sleep while wearing them.
There are probably completely wireless bluetongue IEMs that stay put. So it wouldn't be much different than wearing musical earplugs.

/WYSD
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:22 PM
bipolar

I've always been a big user of headphones - especially when I was younger. Always had a decent pair of Sennheisers around. My son had my giant speakers in his room for ages as a teenager and they used to shake the walls - so when my wife would snap and start heading to his room I'd always have to intervene and try to convince him to put some headphones on.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:04 PM
Spectacular Member

I like to listen to speakers and subwoofers instead and feel the music in my body rather than just my head. I have a 330 Watt Sony soundbar with a 8" sub that I usually listen to music from my computer or spotify. I have a pair of Uiisii BN90 IEM quad driver wireless aptX-HD earbuds to listen to music off my OnePlus 7 Pro, and a pair of USB surround sound Logitech G35 from like 2010 which still sound great to me which I might replace if I can find a suitable pair of headset that I like.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:15 PM
butterball

My Mood: Mellow
In the evenings and night. During the day I prefer speakers and the subwoofer.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
A good pair of studio quality headphones is solid but nothing beats a solid stereo system or PA, when the bass and full frequency ranges are literally rattling your bones
This. I upgraded the stereo in my truck a couple months ago and it was so worth it. Makes listening to music so much more enjoyable.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:24 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I like it both.

As someone who listens music a lot and everyday, I have my reasons why I can agree and disagree at the same time... tbh I can add that I pretty much can't live without music...

Through speakers it is more convenient in my opinion, especially when I need more freedom on myself (no need to carry phone + headphone cable, so far I dislike idea of wireless headphones)... Or doing something like eating, or taking shower (I can't use headphones there of course) PC is an exception either... At that moment I prefer using speakers on stereo as well... Headphones cable is too short to connect it PC itself and therefore I can only use the connectors on the back, because front ones doesn't work right for some reason, tried reconnecting these on the motherboard, but no luck. I still can connect headphones on the stereo that I use with my PC, but in that way they doesn't sound good as the stereo isn't something hi end or HQ anyway, it's just a microcomponent system made by Panasonic and quite an old one... Made in 2001 I believe... Not the oldest possible, but not the newest either... But for me it's enough to use it as a PC speakers, or for radio listening...

On the other hand. While listening on headphones, the sound is more clear and detailed. Also less "background noise"... No need to hear someone else talking, walking, or doing whatever else they do, just me and my music... This makes me to like spending hours with headphones as well...

To add really good quality headphones are less expensive than high quality speakers...

In conclusion. I use headphones a lot (everyday I should say), but I can't use them all the time.

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:23 PM
🥀

at home I prefer speaker

“I’m tired, can’t think of anything and want only to lay my face in your lap, feel your hand on my head and remain like that through all eternity.”
― Franz Kafka, Letters to Milena

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page