Do you feel comfortable wearing shorts? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語

Do you feel comfortable wearing shorts?

So I don't shave my leg hair, and during the winter this doesn't present an issue because everyone including myself wears trousers. For me, I'm genetically female so I know when people see me with leg hair if they pay attention they see 'female person who is deviating from gender expectations' and more to the point I'm not very masculine looking (I don't know why but I figure it's less weird to others if you seem quite androgynous looking, but my features are quite feminine/neotenous,) so I think about what they're thinking about and since my anxiety with leaving the house has increased in general, my thoughts about this have increased too. In the past there were many occasions where I'd forget that I had some leg hair since even when I'd remove it I wasn't fastidious about it, and then it would maybe occur to me later on or something if at all.

Anyway what was more interesting is in a conversation with my brother recently he revealed he doesn't feel comfortable wearing shorts (which I'd noticed tbh since he always wears jeans including all summer.) But he admitted this was kind of because his legs were hairy which blew my mind because I thought this wouldn't be something guys would care about (to be fair my whole family is sort of weird though..) But he said since his skin was so pale and his hair was so dark he didn't like how it stood out. This is something I contemplate too because the contrast is large and I think I even had some comments on it as a child though I was fairer back then... As an adult I had a guy compare my forearm hair to his, and I wouldn't say there's a lot of it but I assume it's the contrast with my very pale skin that makes it more noticeable (also that guy had very little body hair.) This also reminded me that my mum said that my dad never felt comfortable wearing shorts when he was younger, I think because of his pale skin.

The disparity in what people are self conscious about in my family is odd tbh because my brother doesn't shower often and for years just had his hair long and curly despite people constantly criticizing that. Likewise I wore alternative clothing for years despite people often criticizing it. I mean I still do but I think slightly more casual now. So this is just one example since I started wearing weird clothing at about age 11. There was this one point in sixth form (around age 16,) where I'd just wear jeans with a punk skirt over the top (this sort of thing, over jeans basically) and a black blazer with purple pinstripes, or this other kind of black soft blazer, and stuff like this or hippy hoodies, and at one point my sixth form teacher questioned if I was in the right class (basically a software development course, but he was also my form teacher) and also asked me if I was also studying fashion design after he saw I was studying fine art (I was not.) I have to admit from a 3rd person pov it was pretty funny though considering the demographics of that class.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:48 AM
SAS Member

Yeah, I'm wearing some right now. lol When I was younger I hated wearing them to school though, because most of the ones I had were hand-me-downs came up above my knees when I sat down, so kids would laugh and told everyone I liked to wear daisy dukes. Super embarrassing, so I didn't wear them to school again until my senior year of high school.

Then after that, I was in a church for a long time where some people were against guys wearing shorts, and women were supposed to wear skirts or dresses only. But our pastor said if women could wear skirts below their knee, then men should be able to wear shorts to the same length. But I mainly only wore them for playing sports then.

Now though, I'm comfortable wearing them again. Mostly I wear ones that come below the knee, but I have a few pairs that are slightly above, which I think is the popular look these days. I still won't wear denim shorts because they remind me of those daisy dukes of yore. I only wear shorts in solids or plaids, or else I wear board shorts.

My legs are rather pale as well which I don't get because most weekends I go out in the sun with shorts on. They are also quite hairy which I think is masculine as a guy but my hair isn't very dark so it doesn't really stand out.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
I'm not OK (I promise)

Yeah I seem to feel more comfortable wearing ones that go a little below the knee, but I'll kind of push passed that and wear other ones anyway sometimes. If I'm at home it matters less though as long as they're comfortable. I wear mostly denim, but I don't like tight denim stuff because it's also uncomfortable physically but that's another matter.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.

🎸

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
My gf made me wear short about 10 years ago. We went to the beach and she refused to be seen in public with a person wearing pants. Also, wore them to the zoo around the same time.

I have very pale skin (I was always the palest person in class) so I got teased a lot about it growing up. I didn't like wearing shorts for that reason (among others) and only wore them in gym class (when I was like 14) because I had to (probably the last time I wore them, aside from the gf episode). I have very sparse body hair, and it's blonde, so I don't look very hairy. In fact, my shins mostly don't grow hair.

I'd wear shorts around the house now, but the ones I own don't stay up, even with a belt, because I've lost too much weight.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:52 AM
The Nimbus Man

Language: Dovah, Kantonian
My Mood: Bitchy
I love wearing shorts. I can't fathom willingly wearing jeans in 60°F+ weather. I mean, I wear them at work because I have to but once I get home I'm stripping down and putting on some shorts.

Recently-ish I started wearing some capri jogger-things which are super comfy. Like sweatshorts, I just gotta slap on a t-shirt and I have an easy/lazy outfit.

My legs are hella hairy but it's not something I think about. I'm not a swimmer so like, why bother shaving them?

"A day without laughter is a day wasted."
-Charlie Chaplin
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:21 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
My gf made me wear short about 10 years ago. We went to the beach and she refused to be seen in public with a person wearing pants. Also, wore them to the zoo around the same time.

I have very pale skin (I was always the palest person in class) so I got teased a lot about it growing up. I didn't like wearing shorts for that reason (among others) and only wore them in gym class (when I was like 14) because I had to (probably the last time I wore them, aside from the gf episode). I have very sparse body hair, and it's blonde, so I don't look very hairy. In fact, my shins mostly don't grow hair.

I'd wear shorts around the house now, but the ones I own don't stay up, even with a belt, because I've lost too much weight.
I'm pale too and I've just accepted it. My arms have a bit of a tan but otherwise I'm really white and have slight freckles, and I burn rather than tan. I may as well stay out of the sun because most people I know that tanned when they were younger have gotten skin cancer and really leathery skin as they get older. So at least I'll still have good skin when I get older (hopefully).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
I love wearing shorts. I can't fathom willingly wearing jeans in 60°F+ weather. I mean, I wear them at work because I have to but once I get home I'm stripping down and putting on some shorts.

Recently-ish I started wearing some capri jogger-things which are super comfy. Like sweatshorts, I just gotta slap on a t-shirt and I have an easy/lazy outfit.

My legs are hella hairy but it's not something I think about. I'm not a swimmer so like, why bother shaving them?
I'm the same but I'm okay with jeans up to about the high 70s or so depending on the humidity. I can't stand wearing them during the summer anymore though.
And I've thought about getting some of those jogger things, but IDK.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:01 PM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
I like shorts.

post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Not really, it's a long time since I wore any at least, I have one pair lying around somewhere, I used to wear them for a day at the beach etc but I haven't spent a day at the beach in a long time

My body is not very hairy & the hair that's there is on the fair/blond side anyway, so it wouldn't bother me to wear them, although my legs would be on the pale side never having seen the sun much, I mostly wear cargo type pants everyday & denim jeans for more special occasions.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
I started feeling uncomfortable about it 2 years ago. So I dont wear them but I used to. And long shorts look weird on me so I'm not going to wear them. Even if its 100 degree weather, I wear pants in public.
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Nope. I stopped wearing shorts in the early 80s. Never felt comfortable wearing them in the first place. Particularly became self-conscious about it after my mother made some comments about me "having nice legs for a guy". WTF? That gave me the willies then and still does now to think back on it but my mom was always cringey like that and could never keep the weird things she had going on in her head to herself.

I think she might have said that more than once back then and I pretty much stopped wearing shorts and never did it again after that. Only to go swimming. Which I didn't like wearing them then, either. Felt naked.

I was thinking about buying some pants a couple days ago because I like the ones with big pockets but could only find shorts made that way at that store. Didn't get them because they were shorts. I don't particularly care if my legs are hairy or not. I just don't like feeling half-naked.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:06 PM
All Nightmare Long

My Mood: Twisted
That's all I wear in warm enough weather. Its loose and comfortable

Enjoy your programming
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
I have a fairly athletic figure, and in general I don't feel self-conscious exposing my body to the public.

That said, I generally prefer pants to shorts. I can't quite put my finger on the reason, and it has nothing to do with the public opinion - but somehow I feel more "protected" in pants. It may be the result of me going out to the nature all the time and having to deal with insects, sharp grass, etc. Pants give a lot of protection from these things.
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:51 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I seldom wear them. slightly uncomfortable.

a girl I know wears them all the time. she's a bit tomboyish. I dont know anyone else that really wears them a lot.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:57 PM
SAS Member

Language: Italian, English
My Mood: Stressed
If you're rationalizing there should be no reason why you shouldn't wear shorts just because your legs are hairy. Most people will look at you for no more than a few seconds anyway and forget about it. If it's just a gut feeling that doesn't allow you to wear shorts all I can recommend is building up your self esteem and your confidence, because you deserve to wear whatever you want.
I don't wear shorts at the moment but I used to (with tights).

«But the thing that girls know best, is that glitter covers all the ugliness
And they know one thing above all the rest
Sparkle covers evilness
Shimmer covers all the mess
Glitter covers darkness»
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Persona Non Grata

My Mood: Worried
Yes...I am wearing them right now in fact!
post #16 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Am I the only one curious about how hairy persephones legs actually are, I'm imagining sasquatch territory ?

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #17 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
I'm not OK (I promise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleonora91 View Post
If you're rationalizing there should be no reason why you shouldn't wear shorts just because your legs are hairy. Most people will look at you for no more than a few seconds anyway and forget about it. If it's just a gut feeling that doesn't allow you to wear shorts all I can recommend is building up your self esteem and your confidence, because you deserve to wear whatever you want.
I don't wear shorts at the moment but I used to (with tights).
No I do wear them when it's hot, even though it makes me uncomfortable. I've had people comment on it before too which probably didn't help. For some reason people see it as a huge deal and I find being scrutinised in such a way unpleasant. I don't like being around people in general anyway though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Am I the only one curious about how hairy persephones legs actually are, I'm imagining sasquatch territory ?
I am actually an ewok.

I posted a photo once a few years ago in one of the photo album threads actually, but it was hard to show on photo because I think I took it in weird lighting so I don't consider that representative. It's not that my legs are unrealistically hairy just that any amount of hair there that's noticeable to people draws attention/comment.

Quote:

🎸

post #18 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Lonely Misanthrope

My Mood: Amused
I'm not comfortable wearing most things because I'm not comfortable in my own skin. But, I do wear shorts when it's super hot, because I might as well be comfortably uncomfortable, if that makes sense.

Now I'm Nothing
post #19 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM
SAS Member

Im just so pale... lol. Only reason I might not wear as to not attract attention.
post #20 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
I don't. I'm too self-conscious about my legs. Plus, I don't own any and I'm too cheap to buy them. I wear jeans all the time, no matter how hot it is.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page