Do you ever think about who you'd be in a war? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Do you ever think about who you'd be in a war?

edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:15 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My country went to war in 2003 when it attacked another country, so this isn't a hypothetical for me. I was an anti-war protester.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I would most definitely be seen as the coward, as I would avoid going to war. I would make a horrible soldier, and my desire to hold on to an identity for the sake of strangers is not very strong. Actually, it is a pretty good question, and it leads right up to the reason I don't like the concept of identity to begin with, people use it to control others. People would say "A real man would die for such and such" and people fall for that all of the time, I don't. I am not so easily manipulated by such a foolish concept.

My real identity is not is how people perceive it, it is not even static as it changes constantly. I don't feel compelled to hold up to a standard others expect out of me. Sorry for rambling on, it is a great question, and I did not mean to stretch it around like silly putty. I would be seen as a coward, I would not kill others to maintain a role for other people.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:36 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Spanish
I'd flee obviously. Wars are government created and I'm not here to be a part of that.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 PM
Anxiolytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
Would you be a coward that turns his back to people who need help, would you be part of a resistance, would you join the army, would you flee? I often think about this, many times I think the true identity of a man can only be revealed when it's war.

All options are understandable especially for people like us. How well do we truly know who when a life is at stake?
It takes a special kind of person to thrive in an environment like that. Even though the US has volunteers, some still end up with PTSD. It's not a fate anyone should be forced into and maybe it's the millennial in me talking but it's absurd when I hear about drafts or military service in other countries.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I think due to the excessive killing power of modern weapons and the lack of bravery involved in their use, a new international law should be implemented requiring all wars to be fought medieval style where two armies meet each other on the field of battle and hack each other up with swords until one side has no one left alive.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
@Morpheus did you also see the war?
I was not on a battlefield - they were on the other side of the world - but I knew people who did and I was arrested for doing civil disobedience against the war.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelinquishedHell View Post
I think due to the excessive killing power of modern weapons and the lack of bravery involved in their use, a new international law should be implemented requiring all wars to be fought medieval style where two armies meet each other on the field of battle and hack each other up with swords until one side has no one left alive.

I think we should just opt for robot wars, which is far more entertaining and no one gets hurt. I mean, that is likely to be the wars of the future anyway.

Robot wars.. I mean, if we are going to automate everything else, why not automate our wars as well, and keep people out of the equation

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:39 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelinquishedHell View Post

I think we should just opt for robot wars, which is far more entertaining and no one gets hurt. I mean, that is likely to be the wars of the future anyway.

Robot wars.. I mean, if we are going to automate everything else, why not automate our wars as well, and keep people out of the equation <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>
... so what happens when one robot side wins ? What happens to the losing side ?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:41 PM
alien monk

dont need to wonder about who I'd be in some other horrible reality, this reality is bad enough

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
... so what happens when one robot side wins ? What happens to the losing side ?
Well, they don't have any more robots, they lose.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:16 PM
Permanently Banned

What happens to the people on the losing side ? Do they get wiped out or are they now slaves to the winning side ?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
What happens to the people on the losing side ? Do they get wiped out or are they now slaves to the winning side ?
No, just bragging rights. No slaves, or being wiped out, that is unnecessary with a robotic workforce =)

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:34 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Quote:
No, just bragging rights. No slaves, or being wiped out, that is unnecessary with a robotic workforce =)
What if one side just keeps winning ( they have superior robot designs ) ... over time the losing side gets more and more bitter because they never win ! ... so they bribe a robot designer from the winning side and he designs fantastic robots and they win the next war ... well that’s not sitting well for the former winners now so they take it up a notch ... well, you can see how this continues to escalate ... I don’t see how people can avoid being personally involved
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
What if one side just keeps winning ( they have superior robot designs ) ... over time the losing side gets more and more bitter because they never win ! ... so they bribe a robot designer from the winning side and he designs fantastic robots and they win the next war ... well thatís not sitting well for the former winners now so they take it up a notch ... well, you can see how this continues to escalate ... I donít see how people can avoid being personally involved
Well, that is easily settled then, we take humans out of the equation entirely. We will have robot leaders, that follow a strict set of rules for the engagement of wars. Then we never have to worry about human interference and in fact, the robot wars will be perfectly balanced due to one supreme robot leader ensuring all nations have the same robots. Of course, this will lead to wars that can never be won, but that has never stopped us in the past

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:22 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Quote:
What if one side just keeps winning ( they have superior robot designs ) ... over time the losing side gets more and more bitter because they never win ! ... so they bribe a robot designer from the winning side and he designs fantastic robots and they win the next war ... well that’s not sitting well for the former winners now so they take it up a notch ... well, you can see how this continues to escalate ... I don’t see how people can avoid being personally involved
Well, that is easily settled then, we take humans out of the equation entirely. We will have robot leaders, that follow a strict set of rules for the engagement of wars. Then we never have to worry about human interference and in fact, the robot wars will be perfectly balanced due to one supreme robot leader ensuring all nations have the same robots. Of course, this will lead to wars that can never be won, but that has never stopped us in the past <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>
Well maybe we can get these wars to be waged in Antarctica or some other out of the way area ... that way they aren’t messing up the beaches and whatnot. Then we can just keep up with the daily updates from ‘the front’ to see how our team is doing ... by gawd I think you’re on to something here &#x1f600;
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:05 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Front line infantry/cannon fodder.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:42 AM
Greasy prospector

There is no bull$h!t war, our lives are a war & we're on the front line everyday.

A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
- Macbeth
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:50 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
There is no bull$h!t war, our lives are a war & we're on the front line everyday.
Somehow I think we have a very different viewpoint on life mate.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:52 AM
Greasy prospector

Is different bad ?

- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page