Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Angelic
Well, It's not going away : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 05:03 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Have to get over the first wave before we can have a second.

That ain't happening for us any time soon.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 06:16 PM
SAS Member

Who knows, we're still in the first wave. I think places like Italy, Sweden, and CT/NY here in the US that had a lot of infections, but have now slowed way down, possibly won't have a second wave. Studies now are saying like anywhere from 20% to 50% of the population in some areas might already have cross-reactive cells to this from other virus, so it's possible a lot of people won't even get this or have very mild to no symptoms if they do. So I think it's possible it's already run its course completely in some areas. But only time will tell.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 06:46 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I'm not sure. Most of the infections and deaths were in long term care homes, and it seems to be under control now after the military intervened. Still not a good situation I'm sure, but the government invested money to recruit like 10k new orderlies to staff the homes in my province.

The populace has also been very mask-adherent and hand hygienic, just anecdotally speaking when I go out.

I think a spike would likely come from the children returning to school and daycares, when they bring it back to their grandparents and other older relatives. Maybe not, I have no idea how the government and school boards are handling it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:31 PM
bipolar

The US is still in the first one and will be for ages. Yes, second wave is starting now in places like Spain etc. Many other countries still haven't gotten out of the first one- Brazil, India, Iran, Indonesia. etc

We (Australia) are in the middle of a second one now. Mainly down here in Melbourne.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:34 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
I think a spike would likely come from the children returning to school and daycares, when they bring it back to their grandparents and other older relatives. Maybe not, I have no idea how the government and school boards are handling it.
It wouldn't surprise me if there was a spike after the kids went back to school. Usually in September its not long when stuff like the flu and colds start going around again. I'm not sure how the school boards are going to handle it yet either, I heard that from grades 4 to 12 that masks would be mandatory all day. Younger kids would be put in a so called social bubble. They will not be allowed to bring any toys to school. It will be more like a prison than anything, kids won't be able to be kids.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:49 PM
SAS Member

Almost certainly in my opinion. It feels like in Canada, people are too complacent about going out, especially in the west coast. We're experiencing a second wave of covid in BC.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:55 PM
SAS Member

I don't see how any of this is a second wave if it never went away the first time. Here in my state some call it a second wave but the thing is we never really slowed down the first time after we locked down and reopened. It's just that the places that didn't get it much the first time (like mine) are getting it now. Now if the areas that had really high numbers, like Italy, Connecticut, etc start to go way up again, then I'd say it's truly a second wave.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 04:09 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Highly likely. When everyone's immune system goes down in the colder seasons, when everyone's caution eases when the cases dips, society and social norms expecting everyone to congregate again and etc.

Meanwhile, even if an efficient vaccine does every come, I do not expect the vaccine and any antiviral treatments to be equally accessible and available to people of different income levels (especially so in the U.S). Add to testing and logistical dysfunction and societal stubborness. So I do think many developing countries and the U.S to be among the last to curb the virus, while also being the last remaining obstacles to the world in curbing the virus as a whole.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 04:24 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Course it could happen but if worst than first wave (talking UK here) then Boris and his tory muppets would have a lot to answer for.

There is also a **** load of hype and scaremongering in the news at the moment too

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page