"Dead" man wakes up under autopsy knife - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

"Dead" man wakes up under autopsy knife

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070917/od_ ... GUU6YDW7oF

Quote:

CARACAS (Reuters) - A Venezuelan man who had been declared dead woke up in the morgue in excruciating pain after medical examiners began their autopsy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Carlos Camejo, 33, was declared dead after a highway accident and taken to the morgue, where examiners began an autopsy only to realize something was amiss when he started bleeding. They quickly sought to stitch up the incision on his face.

"I woke up because the pain was unbearable," Camejo said, according to a report on Friday in leading local newspaper El Universal.

His grieving wife turned up at the morgue to identify her husband's body only to find him moved into a corridor -- and alive.

Reuters could not immediately reach hospital officials to confirm the events. But Camejo showed the newspaper his facial scar and a document ordering the autopsy.
Rude awakening.

"To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
SAS Member

Re: "Dead" man wakes up under autopsy knife

WOW ....

I would be interested to know how he could have been determined dead when actually alive...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus
His grieving wife turned up at the morgue to identify her husband's body only to find him moved into a corridor -- and alive.
What an emotional ride that must've been.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
She-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny
WOW ....

I would be interested to know how he could have been determined dead when actually alive...
i know that used to happen quite a bit maybe 100 years ago. of course now it happens much, much less because of technology. but i've heard of horror stories where someone was buried... alive, and they only found out many years later when they found that the casket had scratch marks on the inside.

apparently, when my grandpa was 10 years old, he drank so much alcohol he was blacked out for two days, and they thought he was dead.. they were even wearing black and preparing for the funeral.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely

Being buried alive is one of my all-time biggest fears.

Has anyone ever read about this story:

http://www.snopes.com/sports/horse/deadjockey.asp

Hyperbole is the best thing ever!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 AM

It's like that CSI episode where the dead guy is actually alive.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny
WOW ....

Just imagine being the doc to pronounce him dead. He'll be the butt of jokes from here to eternity.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
resident classicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_of_diamonds
Being buried alive is one of my all-time biggest fears.
OhmyGodyes. That and maggots and heights.

"[Hillary Clinton] is a *****. And so am I. *****es get stuff done. That's why Catholic schools use nuns instead of priests. At the end of the year you hated those *****es, but you knew the capital of Vermont." - Tina Fey
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM
She-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Just imagine being the doc to pronounce him dead. He'll be the butt of jokes from here to eternity.
i imagine his "unconscious state" would have been barely noticable if they had just pronounced him dead.. i'm sure there were quite a few medical professionals (paramedic, doctor, etc.) that had seen him and who had not noticed he was alive until they cut his face open. pretty interesting.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 02:12 AM
dez
Rainmaker

Quote:
examiners began an autopsy only to realize something was amiss when he started bleeding. They quickly sought to stitch up the incision on his face.

"I woke up because the pain was unbearable," Camejo said, according to a report on Friday in leading local newspaper El Universal.
Ouch! Just imagining this makes me skin crawl.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Just imagine being the doctor who was doing the autopsy. I'm sure he's already looking for a new line of work right now.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM

I heard about this on Stern's show and it made me cringe.
A listener called in and said it was common back in the 1800's for people to be buried alive because like nothing_to_fear mentioned, they didn't have the technology to be sure if the person was dead or whatever. So back then when they buried people, they would attach a bell to the coffin and put the string inside the coffin so that if the person is alive, they could ring the bell and be heard. That's why they call it the "graveyard shift" because there would be people working in the graveyard, listening out for any bells to go off. I would be scared as ****.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 PM
In 'da 707

OMG That's one of the reasons I'm gonna request to be cremated. If I'm really alive, I'll feel the burn and wake up. Better than waking up underground w/no air, food, or water.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carry
OMG That's one of the reasons I'm gonna request to be cremated. If I'm really alive, I'll feel the burn and wake up. Better than waking up underground w/no air, food, or water.
Nobody gets buried alive today. The embalming process will kill you if you aren't already dead.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:27 AM
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null
Quote:
Originally Posted by carry
Nobody gets buried alive today. The embalming process will kill you if you aren't already dead.
Exactly.

By the way, that 'buried alive' apparatus mentioned above was indeed invented and patented, but apparently it wasn't purchased that much, and I can find no record of it actually being used.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:44 PM
SAS Veteran

How did they miss a pulse or a heartbeat??

"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

Funny how so many people mention the 19-century fear of being buried alive... that's exactly what I thought of as I read the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
By the way, that 'buried alive' apparatus mentioned above was indeed invented and patented, but apparently it wasn't purchased that much, and I can find no record of it actually being used.
I think you're right. I remember reading about the patent, but I'm not sure anyone had it installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page