Cop gave me a ticket for running a stop sign. What should I plead or do? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Cop gave me a ticket for running a stop sign. What should I plead or do?

I saw lights go off about 200 feet behind me and I pulled over and the cop was pulling me over. The cop came up and asked for my license. He asked If I knew why I was pulled over and I said no. He said I ran a stop sign. He then said "Didn't even see it did you." I don't remember it. I know there is a stop sign back there but I don't remember it. Normally when nobody is there I slow down and stop for a half second and go. He says I ran through it. I'm not sure if they have a dash cam on it or not and I'm afraid to plead not guilty, but if I'm guilty that could hurt my chances at going for a new mail carrier job at the post office.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Oniichan

Dash cam or not, you have a slim chance of the court taking your word over the officer's. Unless you have some very solid evidence that you didn't speed through it, you probably have a lot more to lose than to gain by fighting it (expensive court fees in addition to whatever effect it has on your job prospects).

"If life scares you to death, you and me: we feel the same. We feel the same."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Should I even tell my father? He's always telling me "Always stop 3 seconds at a stop sign" and gonna give me the I told you so routine.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Permanently Banned

I don't like cops, I got a ticket once and it was turning red but I passed before it did, I even saw it wasn't red yet even while I crossed, I was so pissed off that I opened and slammed the door like 3 times while cursing while the female cop was behind me parked, then I left the door open and just lay low so the cop couldn't even see my head

Nas

I peeped you frontin, I was in the Jeep
Sunk in the seat, tinted with heat, beats bumpin
Across the streat you was wildin
Talkin bout how you ran the Island in eighty-nine
Layin up, playin the yard with crazy shine
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:38 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Twisted
that cop needed to boost his pension lol.... You're gonna end up losing because this has happened to my friends and they all lost the appeal.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
I don't like cops, I got a ticket once and it was turning red but I passed before it did, I even saw it wasn't red yet even while I crossed, I was so pissed off that I opened and slammed the door like 3 times while cursing while the female cop was behind me parked, then I left the door open and just lay low so the cop couldn't even see my head
Don't blame you for being mad, but I'm surprised acting that way didn't escalate things with the police officer.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
Don't blame you for being mad, but I'm surprised acting that way didn't escalate things with the police officer.
maybe she was afraid of me, I did look really pissed off
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Permanently Banned

It sounds like you probably ran through it without knowing it at the time even though you knew it was there before. I don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't challenge it and if there is an optional driving remedial class it would be better for the insurance. But yes, I dislike these cops hanging around at corners or in spots looking to ambush for their quota while they don't bother with real endangering crimes. Some of them don't even make a signal turning.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsr View Post
It sounds like you probably ran through it without knowing it at the time even though you knew it was there before. I don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't challenge it and if there is an optional driving remedial class it would be better for the insurance. But yes, I dislike these cops hanging around at corners or in spots looking to ambush for their quota while they don't bother with real endangering crimes. Some of them don't even make a signal turning.

Not like I would have went if a car was there but the road was clear.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:06 PM
~The Fun Has Arrived~

You ran a stop sign and got a ticket.
Be aware of your surrounding next time.
What happen had happen. Move on. Be careful next time.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:24 PM
SAS Member

I never been pulled over for a stop sign but speeding i have everytime i get let off just agree with them and make out what you did was very dumb i was doing 100km/h in a 40km/h zone he let me go because i was not a smart *** and admited to what i did wrong
2nd time i was drag racing on my way to work cop did not catch up to me until i was parked he just checked my licence and gave me a talk about how he does not wish to knock on my family door and tell them i have died so i missed 4k worth of fines plus my car been impounded and lost of licence for two years
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:35 PM
You spoony bard!

Cops are the modern day highway robbers. They wait by the side of the road for unsuspecting prey to pass, then steal a couple hundred bucks from some helpless schmoe on his way to work or heading home.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:43 PM
SAS Member

Going to court to fight a ticket is something you do for highly questionable circumstances. Failing to notice a stop sign and blowing right through it makes you clearly guilty. Just pay it and accept whatever consequences come your way as a result.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Fight it. Always fight your tickets. Sometimes the cop doesn't even show up to the court hearing which means your ticket is null. If you put a claim in the court to fight it, they'll probably give you a date months from now. There are a lot of things that can go wrong during that time. Hell, the officer may even totally forget about the violation. Always fight your tickets.

**** the past
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Oniichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner21 View Post
Fight it. Always fight your tickets. Sometimes the cop doesn't even show up to the court hearing which means your ticket is null. If you put a claim in the court to fight it, they'll probably give you a date months from now. There are a lot of things that can go wrong during that time. Hell, the officer may even totally forget about the violation. Always fight your tickets.
Most people end up losing the case and paying additional fees. Do you have any personal experience or real advice to offer? Is there something OP could do to ensure that they don't lose the case?

"If life scares you to death, you and me: we feel the same. We feel the same."
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:30 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfCompulsoryIsolation View Post
Most people end up losing the case and paying additional fees. Do you have any personal experience or real advice to offer? Is there something OP could do to ensure that they don't lose the case?
No they don't. Well actually, I don't know how it works in US, but that's now how it works in Canada.

Most of the times, even if you're found by the judge, he'll give you the original or a reduced fine (if you're first time offender or something). If OP pays fine, his insurance will definitely go up because they everytime for a traffic violation and over time that ends up being a lot of money. At least when you fight, you give yourself a chance to walk away not guilty (even if that chance is 1%)

**** the past

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page