Book reading vs. audiobook listening - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Book reading vs. audiobook listening

I've never been much of a book reader. I read a lot of articles, but my eyes get tired when I try to read for more than ten minutes or so because of my stigmatism, which makes it difficult to concentrate, so I rarely make it more than half-way through a book.

I recently started listening to audiobooks, which solves the problem of my eyes getting tired. Sure, it takes a lot longer to get through a book that way, but at least I can get through them.

For some reason, listening to audiobooks feels lazy, vs. reading, which feels like I'm doing something constructive. When you read, you have to hold the book, turn the pages, keep your eyes focused, process the text... When you listen to audiobooks, you just sit there and listen. They both accomplish the same thing, but one seems tantamount to watching TV while the other is an intellectual pursuit.

Anybody else listen to audiobooks?

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:52 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
I'm the opposite. It's easier for me to absorb something when I read it than when I hear it. I can't recall a time that I've listened to an audiobook.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president weíve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
I started listening to audiobooks a few years ago. They help keep me engaged and awake when I'm driving. I've also found that they're excellent when I'm having trouble sleeping.

I wouldn't necessarily consider it lazier than reading a physical book - it's just a different way of receiving the information. I tend to race through books because I'm eager to know what's going to happen. My eyes will skip over entire paragraphs. If I'm listening to a book, I can't do that. I remember what I read a lot more clearly.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:15 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
I sometimes listen to audiobooks while driving long distances as they're a good way to keep entertained, but elsewhere you get distracted too easily and miss too much. And really, it depends on who is doing the reading. Some really make it an effort to follow and don't get you absorbed in the story.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
I've never used audiobooks. My dad is switching over to audio because his eyes are bad. I don't think there's any real difference between them, aside from books being a bit more work. An audiobook wouldn't even take longer for me to read, since I never learned how to read faster than the rate that I talk. When I read, I'm always listening to an internal voice saying the words that I'm reading. I know most people get over that, but I haven't been able to. So I read incredibly slowly. I generally prefer to read over watching videos, though. Watching videos is typically a real chore for me by comparison.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:44 PM
We don't belong here.

My Mood: Innocent
I prefer to hold the book in my hands physically. I can also resell a book.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:28 AM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
Iíve only ever listened to one but I listen to podcasts on regularly so itís not a far stretch. I donít sit to read actual books these days though Iíd like to
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:55 AM
In Liquidation

As a heavily visual person, audiobooks and learning things this way usually is a nightmare for me. With books or text, I can at least go back and re-read something over and over again as needed.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:40 AM
Barbells and kittens

I've been trying audiobooks the last couple years since I'm driving so much now. I prefer actually reading it myself and definitely absorb the information better that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:46 PM
SAS Member

I prefer audio books. I can listen to them while I'm working or at the gym and it doesn't take any additional time from my day. Reading requires that I drop everything and dedicate time to it, and ain't nobody got time for that. My mind also wanders while I'm reading and I'll find myself having to re-read pages constantly.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
I absorb more when I read rather than listen.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:50 AM
You tell me

I prefer reading I think? Idk I could probably get used to audiobooks if I wanted to. But I did read somewhere that listening vs reading doesn't make any difference to your comprehension of a book. Humans were orating stories long before they were reading them.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:22 AM
(J)joke(pj)partjoke(s)sar

Audiobooks are easier for me
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I made it all the way through the Stephen King's Pet Sematary audiobook. I wouldn't have made it half-way through the text version. Or even a quarter of the way through. There are a lot of boring parts where King just rambles on and on. With the audiobook, I could look at something else during those parts.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:30 AM
I am average!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
I made it all the way through the Stephen King's Pet Sematary audiobook. I wouldn't have made it half-way through the text version. Or even a quarter of the way through. There are a lot of boring parts where King just rambles on and on. With the audiobook, I could look at something else during those parts.
Why not just skip it entirely then? Can't imagine you remember a lot of the book if you watch something else instead :P

In fact you could save time in a book just skipping the entire part, but now you have to listen to them, but not really :P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page