Bathroom Anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Bored

Bathroom Anxiety

Every time I go to the bathroom, I am always afraid of peopling hearing me pee. I always feel like if they hear me they'll be like "omg she went to the bathroom!" I know, its irrational and makes no sense because everyone goes to the bathroom. Anyone else? All through elementary - high school I never talked, so I guess thats where I got that idea from that people think that, but now in college I dont know why..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 PM
SAS Member

That's understandable! I'm kinda similar, not that I'm afraid of people hearing me pee, but that I'm conscious of others being in the bathroom while I am and I always wonder if they are listening to it hahaha so I get kinda self-conscious sometimes but the self-consciousness mostly goes unnoticed by me
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Everyone goes to the bathroom but not everyone's butt is prone to doing the diarrhea blunderbuss (complete with horrendous staccato tuba fart sounds and vigorous splashing and splattering).

Not only that but when I get diarrhea it smells like someone filled up an old tire with cat poop and lit it on fire.

/WYSD
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:40 PM
King of Carrot Flowers

My Mood: Fine
Lol do you ever take huge dumps in public restrooms?

May the wind be always at your back.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 07:38 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Yeah I have to run the water at home and I don't use crowded public restrooms. The worse is when someone is waiting on you to finish, I seriously can't use it if I know someone is waiting on me. Too much anxiety.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:13 PM
SAS Member

I get self conscious about it too but I try very hard to mind my own business when someone else is going to the bathroom, so I hope they're giving me the same courtesy. And I think for the most part, they do. Most mature people don't want to make someone else feel badly for something so normal.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Everyone goes to the bathroom but not everyone's butt is prone to doing the diarrhea blunderbuss (complete with horrendous staccato tuba fart sounds and vigorous splashing and splattering).

Not only that but when I get diarrhea it smells like someone filled up an old tire with cat poop and lit it on fire.
Me and my IBS sympathize!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:26 PM
SAS Member

I run the water at home whenever I need to poop... and the only person I live with is my long term partner who has already heard me poop. And also cleaned my own vomit off of me.

When in public, I wait till someone runs the water or uses the hand dryer. I'm thankfully a quick pooper.

No shy bladder though! Most of the time.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:46 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
I run the water at home whenever I need to poop... and the only person I live with is my long term partner who has already heard me poop. And also cleaned my own vomit off of me.

When in public, I wait till someone runs the water or uses the hand dryer. I'm thankfully a quick pooper.

No shy bladder though! Most of the time.
Oh wow congrats I know some married couples that still don't do that around each other lol. If you can "poop" around someone you can do anything with that person.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 04:47 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

a room. some space.

at home.

or public one. how big? one tiny toilet only

or more ways to wash body with water!

after all sport

ladies or gents'
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 06:03 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post

This description is awesome. 'horrendous staccato tuba' will remain with me forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
and the only person I live with is my long term partner who has already heard me poop. And also cleaned my own vomit off of me.
My partner makes cats go into the bathroom when I'm ****ting -_- And I shout 'LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE I'M ON THE LITTERBOX'. The rule is you can stay on the other side of the door and talk (if there's an ongoing conversation) but litterbox is private time.

And, to answer the thread topic: if I'm in a public bathroom, I'll wait for a handdryer/tap to create noise before I drop it, but I won't wait too long either. It's more out of consideration than anxiety, really.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 10:35 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Oh wow congrats I know some married couples that still don't do that around each other lol. If you can "poop" around someone you can do anything with that person.
He's heard me poop (unintentionally), not seen me poop lol... with any luck that will never happen
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 02:13 AM
F0rum Pothole

Funny digging back up a poop thread.
Mostly I poop at home shortly after waking up. I very rarely use public restrooms to poop unless I have the runs. And when I do, it comes out, no bathroom anxiety will be strong enough to hold it in.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 04:57 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Yeah when I was at school I'd often not use the bathroom there unless absolutely necessary, even now I try to only go at home where possible & yeah I have used the leaving the water running trick aswell sometimes.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:28 AM
Gangsta Crayon

I got used to peeing like 4 months after I started my job cause I'm not holding it in all day everyday. But I am only able to do the other if no one else is in the bathroom. Could not do number 2 especially if another coworker is in the bathroom.

If there's guests at home, I cant even pee cause the bathroom is right next to the kitchen and I don't want to be called into the kitchen to talk to people. Trailers dont have much privacy.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 06:48 AM
Self isolating from self

I tend to avoid public toliets when ever possible. For both SA reasons as well as cleanliness. But when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 05:21 PM
SAS Member

At work there's one restroom that only has one toilet and one sink and a lock on the door, instead of the two others that have multiple stalls and urinals. I don't like when I'm trying to pee or poop and someone else walks in, it just seems awkward. So I'm really glad we have that single restroom and I always try to use it, especially if I have to poop. But sometimes if I hear people out in the hall I still get nervous and try to hide the peeing sounds because I know they can hear it through the door.

Also I try to hide the peeing sounds like if I'm at my grandma's house or friend's houses. At home I feel completely comfortable with it though.

In public restrooms in general, I don't really get that bothered about it. But I prefer the really big restrooms like at Home Depot or Lowes where there's probably 10 stalls in the men's restroom and nobody would even know you were in there. What I don't like are public restrooms where it's single occupancy and you lock the door and then somebody comes and knocks while you're in there. If that happens I just don't say anything until they walk away. Although one time I saw a single occupancy restroom at Subway where a guy was in there, but didn't lock the door and when I walked by another guy went in and started peeing while the other guy was washing his hands! I guess they didn't know it was meant for just one person at a time. LOL

At work it never happens, because if they see somebody's in the single one, they just go to the other bigger restrooms.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page