Are middle seats actually torture? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy

Are middle seats actually torture?

Is it just me, or are airplane middle seats (when you don’t know the people on either side of you) torturous? I would change my flight before sitting in a middle seat for a multi hour flight. Maybe it’s my SA, but I’m sweating just thinking about it.

It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls, for the times they are a changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:57 AM
Tired

Language: English
I havent been on a plane for many years. In fact, atm I seem to be developing pretty bad anxiety issues re being trapped in anywhere, so I could imagine being in a plane, trapped up in the air to be an issue. Being in a middle seat would definitely trigger my anxiety.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

You still feel trapped when you know the people on both sides.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
Sure, (and I’m thinking spouse here) but you can at least lean on them to get a little space between yourself and rando on the other side.

It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls, for the times they are a changing.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:06 AM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
I think it's that knowledge its hard to escape, you don't have an escape route. I always try to keep an escape route to be there if I need it. When you don't have that, the anxiety builds.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:48 AM
Barbells and kittens

I've never been on a plane, but the middle seat in a vehicle sucks, so I'm gonna say yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:14 AM
your dads girlfriend

My Mood: Sleepy
I like the window seat for viewing but the aisle seat when I need to pee. I always feel trapped in the middle.

pretty when I cry
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:41 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I was only on a small plane once, it was too small for middle seats but I got a window seat & I was too in awe of the whole experience to notice other people much, head out the window with my tongue & ears flapping in the breeze barking at birds ....(that last part wasn't true )....but I know the sensation of feeling trapped to well : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Never been on a plane and I'm not gonna break that habit now but on the subject of being seated in proximity to other people I don't know, I flippin hate it. I hate it if they're on the left of me, the right of me, on both sides of me, behind me or facing me. I really just don't like being seated with a group of people I don't know. It just feels wrong. Especially if I can smell them (There is this weird smell the sebum of even clean hair has that you can smell from anything closer than about 3 feet) or hear them breathing or their stomach is making trickling noises or something.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:54 AM
bipolar

I used to dislike it more from just a comfort point of view. I usually control where I'm sitting - pre-book it online or ask the ladies at check-in. On long-haul flights I prefer the aisle so you can get up and walk around more easily.

The thing I hate is when the person in front has their seat so far back on those long-haul flights you've literally got your legs wrapped around them for about 8 hours. You feel like after the flight you should at least share a cigarette or get their number.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:09 AM
SAS Member

I don't find them torturous. Middle seats have their benefits, lol. Window seats are usually regarded as best, but when you have a weak bowel and need to go to the bathroom frequently, it can be a hassle to make 2 people get up for you. With window seats that's one less person to move. And as for aisle seats, I can't really relax in them because I frequently get people brushing against me as they're going down the aisle, and I'm worried that baggage will fall over my head from the overhead compartment.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:45 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
I usually get the window seat since I try not to pee while in the air. And I like to be able to rest slightly on my side. Usually wake up with a severe crook in my neck but better than being awake for the entire flight. Long flights are freaking boring. I can't stand to read while in a car or plane. Just can't focus. And the movies or TV shows available on the plane are severely lacking. For 90% of the flight there is very little to see out the window too. Just clouds for hours and hours. To sum up flying- BORING AND CRAMPED.

The middle seat would be okay for a short flight (2-3 hours or so). Anything over 5 hours I would absolutely not sit in the middle.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:16 AM
Russian Modster

I've had to sit in between my sister and a stranger on a few flights, it's not ideal but not the worst. I think if I was flying alone though I'd prefer the aisle seat, so I could get off quicker, but if it were a shorter flight then the window seat, since I typically don't have to get up if I pee before I leave lol. Plus I hate having to constantly get up and move out of the way for the people sitting next to me. On one flight with my sister, there was this guy on the window seat that kept getting up. At one point I traded the aisle with him so we'd have some peace

:: As it stands, more people are willing to kill for what they believe in, rather than die for it ::

Попроси у облаков
Подарить нам белых снов
Ночь плывет и мы за ней
В мир таинственных огней
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:07 AM
In Liquidation

I can see it being very uncomfortable with social anxiety, since you would want privacy and fear of being judged and looked upon at your actions.

I just recalled once being stuck in the middle seat between two strangers on a 6+ hour flight, and I was binging on a show on my laptop. The lady next to me on the window seat kept peeking over at what I was watching and started commenting on why I was watching that. And I was typing something, and she started leaning over trying to read what I was typing to make conversation with me about it. I wanted to tell her off, but all of this was within the first half of the flight. And having what likely was a liquored up socially needy person you piss off for the remaining 3hrs and being stuck with them, will certainly make it awkward and uncomfortable.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:50 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
I can see it being very uncomfortable with social anxiety, since you would want privacy and fear of being judged and looked upon at your actions.

I just recalled once being stuck in the middle seat between two strangers on a 6+ hour flight, and I was binging on a show on my laptop. The lady next to me on the window seat kept peeking over at what I was watching and started commenting on why I was watching that. And I was typing something, and she started leaning over trying to read what I was typing to make conversation with me about it. I wanted to tell her off, but all of this was within the first half of the flight. And having what likely was a liquored up socially needy person you piss off for the remaining 3hrs and being stuck with them, will certainly make it awkward and uncomfortable.
I think a lot of people also just like to talk on flights - especially if they're fairly long. It might have something to do with them being a bit nervous or even excited.

I remember ages ago sitting beside this girl that told me it was her first flight and that she was scared. I had to talk to her for the entire flight - trying to reassure her it would be okay. Some people find flying really terrifying.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:52 AM
In Liquidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I think a lot of people also just like to talk on flights - especially if they're fairly long. It might have something to do with them being a bit nervous or even excited.

I remember ages ago sitting beside this girl that told me it was her first flight and that she was scared. I had to talk to her for the entire flight - trying to reassure her it would be okay. Some people find flying really terrifying.

Yeah I could see that as well definitely. It was just hard for me where she was invading my privacy when she was trying to struck up a conversation. Trying to look at what I was doing on the computer meticulously. I did end up talking to her for a total of an hour or more though from what I remembered. Apparently she flew with her daughter and her daughter didn't want to see with her and she seem upset about it.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 AM
All Nightmare Long

My Mood: Twisted
Enough is enough. I've had it with all these muther****ing middle seats on these muther****ing planes.

Enjoy your programming
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Changeless

My Mood: Worried
I avoid middle seats like the plague. I will sit in one if I absolutely have to but I will do all I can to avoid them--airplanes, movie theaters, concerts, seminars. I want the option to be able to make a clean getaway if I have to--whether it be out the door or to the bathroom.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

“I'm very polite by nature, even the voices in my head let each other finish their sentences.”
― Graham Parke, Unspent Time
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Changeless

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub-Zero View Post
Enough is enough. I've had it with all these muther****ing middle seats on these muther****ing planes.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

“I'm very polite by nature, even the voices in my head let each other finish their sentences.”
― Graham Parke, Unspent Time
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I've only been on a plate twice, and I don't remember where I was sat now.

In long car journeys though I always hated the middle seat. When you're next to the window you can look out and kind of disappear, in the middle seat it's harder to do that so you're stuck with a different viewpoint and being squashed in.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page