Anyone get disoriented after sleeping/ naps? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anyone get disoriented after sleeping/ naps?

I rarely take naps. But Monday I was super tired all day at work and just worked through lunch and left early. I got home and went to bed and fell asleep for an hour. As usual, I was disoriented when I awoke and wasn't sure if it was morning or evening, it was still daylight when I awoke though.

This nearly always happens to me when I nap. What gets really odd is if I nap when it's daylight but wake up at dusk, and I think it's the next morning.

Also sometimes during regular sleep, I wake up and not sure what day it is. Like I'll wake up on a Saturday and think it's still Friday and I have to go to work. Fortunately lately I haven't woken on Monday and thought it was still Sunday, but it used to happen often.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Yeah, that happens to me on the occasion. Usually, I wake up from an alarm clock so I know what time it is, but there are times where I wake up earlier and am convinced I slept past the alarm clock.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
This happens to me to. I rarely nap, in part because of this. But for me, the disorientation is more than just about time, if I fall asleep during daylight and wake up in the dark I feel lost and alone sort of...? It’s hard to describe, I get a kind of existential angst and the only way to shake it is go out somewhere and see people’s doing normal things like at a shop or bar. Then I cam go back home and/or to bed. It’s like I have to prove to myself that the world is still out there and things are ‘OK’. Anyone else feel this ever?

It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls, for the times they are a changing.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 PM
untitled document

Language: None
I'm rarely disoriented about the time of day (despite a fully randomized sleep unschedule), just about where I am and what year it is. Usually in dreams it's 10 or 20 years ago and I live with my parents, so it often takes a minute to sort out the present day after I wake up. Just a little preview of what dementia is like, I suppose.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Yes. During the work week, I usually take a 10min nap in the AM and when I wake up, for a few secs, I don't know where I'm at.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president weíve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:34 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
That happens to me sometimes. Usually only if I sleep at an unusual time or location.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 03:13 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssia View Post
This happens to me to. I rarely nap, in part because of this. But for me, the disorientation is more than just about time, if I fall asleep during daylight and wake up in the dark I feel lost and alone sort of...? Itís hard to describe, I get a kind of existential angst and the only way to shake it is go out somewhere and see peopleís doing normal things like at a shop or bar. Then I cam go back home and/or to bed. Itís like I have to prove to myself that the world is still out there and things are ĎOKí. Anyone else feel this ever?
I've felt like that before. It's quite a scary feeling. I used to also sometimes wake up after a nap in a bit of a panic - but the way you described the feeling is very good. I don't take naps much nowadays though.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

When I used to visit my grandparents I used to get that odd feeling when I'd wake in the morning that I had no idea where I was. I used to get this too when staying in hotel rooms.

Also my grandparents like to take naps, and when I was younger and spending time at their house, I'd take a nap in the spare bedroom and when I woke up I got this strange panic because I couldn't find them, since they had gone outside. My mom also used to make me take naps before I started going to school as a kid and when I'd wake up she'd be out doing yard work and I'd get a panic then too, because I felt like she'd left me behind or something.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:10 PM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
I generally don't take naps. If I go to sleep, I will sleep for awhile. But no. My mind is usually very sharp when I first wake up and I know exactly what's going on right off. Well, at least as soon as I'm fully conscious. I usually "fade" in but while I'm in that transition, my mind usually is not thinking about what day or time it is. It's just kind of existing and becoming aware. Which (BTW) is why I have such a hard time waking to an alarm. When it goes off, my instinct is just "Make noise stop! Must sleep more!" and then "Noise is gone? Good! Very good! Blank."

/WYSD
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:34 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
I rarely get like this. Once I wake up from a nap or sleep, I'm wide awake. Did happen to me more in the past where I'd wake up and think it was the next day or something but not anymore.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:11 PM
☆ Moderator ☆

I've been confused about what day it was a few times, or if it was daytime or nighttime. I think there was one time when I thought it was two days later than it was.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 PM
SAS Member

I'm always like that lol... Probably because of not having enough sleep...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Quote:
This happens to me to. I rarely nap, in part because of this. But for me, the disorientation is more than just about time, if I fall asleep during daylight and wake up in the dark I feel lost and alone sort of...? It’s hard to describe, I get a kind of existential angst and the only way to shake it is go out somewhere and see people’s doing normal things like at a shop or bar. Then I cam go back home and/or to bed. It’s like I have to prove to myself that the world is still out there and things are ‘OK’. Anyone else feel this ever?
I've felt like that before. It's quite a scary feeling. I used to also sometimes wake up after a nap in a bit of a panic - but the way you described the feeling is very good. I don't take naps much nowadays though.
It’s comforting to hear that someone else has experienced this too. I rarely take naps anymore - maybe because it was too uncomfortable coming out of it!!

It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls, for the times they are a changing.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
My mind just goes to the most unwanted places when I try to nap in the afternoon. I start thinking about all the big issues/problems in my life, it's awful. Nightmare material. Not sure why it doesn't happen as much at night.

One thing that can be disorienting is if you move your bed. I like moving furniture around, so I've moved my bed around from one wall to another. I've woken up and felt all weirded out. Also happened when I changed apartments.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:29 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Itís comforting to hear that someone else has experienced this too. I rarely take naps anymore - maybe because it was too uncomfortable coming out of it!!
Yeah, that used to happen to me when I was quite young I think - I don't think it's all that surprising tbh, because if you go to sleep when it's daylight it feels really weird to wake up in the dark. It used to scare the hell out of me. (admittedly that's not that hard to do though, which is a bit of a worry in itself)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:33 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
My mind just goes to the most unwanted places when I try to nap in the afternoon. I start thinking about all the big issues/problems in my life, it's awful. Nightmare material. Not sure why it doesn't happen much at night.

One thing that can be disorienting is if you move your bed. I like moving furniture around, so I've moved my bed around from one wall to another. I've woken up and felt all weirded out. Also happened when I changed apartments.
There's no way I could move my bed - or any of my furniture really. It would take me ages to get used to it. I think it's sort of getting worse as I get older too - very strange.

I couldn't care less where furniture etc is in a hotel room for example, but for some reason I seem to be getting obsessive about where I place things in my apartment.

Plus I have that thinking about all the heavy things in my life too - but with me it always happens very early in the mornings. I lie there for ages at about 4 am worrying myself sick about basically everything.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:45 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

i wish so. it's nice

timecheck needed

everyday full of empty, boring nulls... no entertainment, no news, nothing nice or exciting.

i switch off.. main telecomms floor-based tower machine to interact with all. often not enuff response so giv up. TV worst disappointment. nothing going on, this world, no occupation. often bed, anytime. cannot last so long. any noises of this area outside arouses me. engine Noise! neighbours' BANGING ALL Their doooorrrzz!!

equation not right: just supermarket no food? recession this bad? lazy farmers? foreign imports? proud getting by bike to see no stock/elevated prices. empty shelves. saved car fuel & wear & tear by not using, on such crowded roads.

me the only person who ain't stupid, slooww or stupid?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page