Action Figures and Dolls - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Action Figures and Dolls

Do SAS members like action figures and/or dolls? Do they collect them?

(I consider action figures and dolls to be basically the same thing, but I don't want to exclude anyone from replying to me about their toy collection -- which is why I have referred to both of those things.)

I purchased a Deluxe Starforce Captain Marvel figure; she comes with a pair of faces and TWO FLIGHT STANDS! According to the packet, one of the flight stands is a "diorama base" -- but it's an energy blast from below her feet, so I'm calling it what it is: a second flight stand.

This "dolly" is super amazing if one covets the sight of a superheroine levitating using her own power.

I prefer to display her with the helm on, but the Brie Larson face is a great likeness. The blank stare is very authentic, which I love (not sarcasm).

She looks wonderful next to Charlotte Flair in her black and silver ring gear. I plan to unbox my DC Comics Darwyn Cooke Supergirl soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:16 PM
On Life Support

My Mood: Buzzed
I've amassed a pretty big Marvel Legends and DC Universe Classics collection.... I certainly don't enjoy Superhero movies and I stopped reading comic books a long time ago but for some strange reason I enjoy posing those figures and displaying those figures in my basement shelf. Away from preying eyes hahaha.

I more into anime so my Figma and S.H Figuarts is much bigger.

I could never get into Funko Pops though.... they are pretty ugly and lack articulation

Nendoroid does a much better job with the Chibi style. Although they are much more expensive and less varied

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Trailer Trash Tranny

My Mood: Brooding
I used to have a bunch of Mego action figures when I was a kid (Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, superheroes). They were my favorite toys. I wanted Barbies but my parents weren't having any of that!

My mother has a huge baby doll collection. The super-realistic ones. But they creep me out, because they look like dead babies. I like the custom ball jointed dolls:

But I'll probably never be rich enough to collect them. Or talented enough to make them.

The only thing better than money is more money.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:09 PM
blurry dystopia gif ☣️

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post

I like the custom ball jointed dolls:

But I'll probably never be rich enough to collect them. Or talented enough to make them.
I knew someone who had some of those in uni. The people who are into them seem to treat them kind of like personas/avatars I notice or romantic partners, like the woman I knew who was into them also really liked cosplaying. Then I used to read a lot of stories people made using The Sims on livejournal as a teenager and I think one of the authors of one work I was really into had some of her characters as ball jointed dolls.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:14 PM
blurry dystopia gif ☣️

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I'm not personally into them I did play with them as a kid. The only things I really collect are concert tickets and train tickets, but only ones I've used (so basically souvenirs.)

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:24 PM
The Wanderer

If I find something at a thrift shop and it'll look neat on my bookshelf sometimes I get action figures or toys. I bought a Darth Vader figure, the face hugger from the movie Alien, Back to the Future Delorean, some Dodgers bobbleheads. Jurassic Park velociraptor and a vintage T-rex from the first movie. And I have a few Greek goddess style mini statues.

[Everyone disliked that.]
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
No. I was never much of an action figure type. I did have a Hulk when I was a kid but he was (I think) made of rubber or something and his joints didn't move.

/WYSD
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Eternal Solitude, which action figures from your various collections are your favourites (if you have especial favourites)?

truant, it's fascinating that those Star Trek figures have clothes made from some type of fabric -- very much like Barbie dolls! The faces are quite accurate to the on-screen actors, also. Very cool!

I believe you can have the money and/or the talent to get the sort of toys you want, if you want that.

Do you want a Hasbro Starforce Captain Marvel "dolly", with hair like a Barbie doll, and a removable helmet? Because I magicked a Hasbro Starforce Captain Marvel "dolly" into existence. Oops! (It seems like something that ought not to exist, but now it does.)

I'm happy that there are people on SAS who also love action figures and dolls. Does anyone here have the 2016 SDCC exclusive She-Ra doll? I was hoping that her sister figure, Catra, might get made eventually. The She-Ra doll has Filmation-style clothes *and* clothes in the style of the original She-Ra dolly (which looks quite different to the cartoon character).
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:50 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I like collectibles. I've got a few dozen LEGO sets displayed on shelves around my room. I've also got a decent collection of anime figurines, as well as some action figures from Warcraft and The Legend of Zelda, and a collection of some of my favorite toys from my childhood, Battle Beasts, set up on another shelf.

I still have most of my toys in storage under the house. I've thought about taking out my G.I. Joe figures or something, but I'm out of space, and my room is pretty big.

"Churches ... appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." -Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 AM
On Life Support

My Mood: Buzzed
Quote:
Originally Posted by XebelRebel View Post
Eternal Solitude, which action figures from your various collections are your favourites (if you have especial favourites)?
From the DC Universe Classics line my favorite figure is Zatanna:

Not only because she is my favorite Superhero of all time but because her figure is really well done. I am also glad that they went with this version of her costume.

Another DC Classics figure that I really like is Plasticman:

Came with a bunch of really cool accessories and can even transform into a briefcase:

I also like the character. His personality is pretty much what the Joker would be if he decided to fight crime as opposed to being a criminal. Way cooler than Deadpool in my opinion!

From Marvel Legends I really like Rogue (I would love to have her sassy personality) and I like Carol Danvers (aka Captain Marvel) in her classic Miss Marvel costume. Fun Fact: Rogue stole her powers with her mutant powers and that is how she gained her super strength and ability to fly.

From the Figma line I'd say that my favorite figure is the Legend of Zelda :Twilight Princess - Link DX figure. Which to this day is the best Link figure ever made.

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:51 AM
Half agony, half hope.

Nope, I used to play with dolls when I was younger and stopped when I was around 9 or so. I did collect stuffed animals as a kid into my teen years but I stopped that as well and got rid of most of them. Only kept a few that have sentimental value.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Trailer Trash Tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by XebelRebel View Post
truant, it's fascinating that those Star Trek figures have clothes made from some type of fabric -- very much like Barbie dolls! The faces are quite accurate to the on-screen actors, also. Very cool!

I believe you can have the money and/or the talent to get the sort of toys you want, if you want that.

Do you want a Hasbro Starforce Captain Marvel "dolly", with hair like a Barbie doll, and a removable helmet? Because I magicked a Hasbro Starforce Captain Marvel "dolly" into existence. Oops! (It seems like something that ought not to exist, but now it does.)

I'm happy that there are people on SAS who also love action figures and dolls. Does anyone here have the 2016 SDCC exclusive She-Ra doll? I was hoping that her sister figure, Catra, might get made eventually. The She-Ra doll has Filmation-style clothes *and* clothes in the style of the original She-Ra dolly (which looks quite different to the cartoon character).
Yes, they were very good toys. I liked that they wore actual clothes. Though they didn't have much by way of selection!

I think I'll probably always be too busy to make custom dolls myself. I've seen some YT videos by some of the artists and they're so talented! It would take me years to learn all that stuff.

I haven't even seen the movie yet! But thanks for the offer. It looks like a pretty good quality doll. (I checked out a review on YT.) I was watching the old She-Ra from the 80s on NF. Haven't seen the new one yet.

Do you have a lot of dolls/action figures? My mother has a whole room full of dolls. And a bunch in storage. Hundreds! I think I inherited my interest in dolls from her.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 04:23 PM
Trailer Trash Tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I knew someone who had some of those in uni. The people who are into them seem to treat them kind of like personas/avatars I notice or romantic partners, like the woman I knew who was into them also really liked cosplaying. Then I used to read a lot of stories people made using The Sims on livejournal as a teenager and I think one of the authors of one work I was really into had some of her characters as ball jointed dolls.
Yeah, I can see that. The wonders of modern tech that make stuff like that possible. I've always liked dolls, or things of a doll-like nature, like Claymation, stop motion animation. There's something about the "not-quite-human", the uncanny valley effect, that tickles me. I'm hoping I live long enough to see the world populated by androids, lol.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 04:43 PM
Yoink

I have some Hot Wheels. I used to watch the cartoons when I was a kid. But I think they were banned for some reason. Jack Rabbit Special is one of my fave Hot Wheels, it was featured in the cartoons.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Tetragammon, which LEGO sets do you have on display? I have the LEGO Friends Rescue Mission Boat; it comes with a tiny coral reef and a narwhal. I like that quite a few of the LEGO Friends sets from recent years focus on protecting wildlife.

truant, what I meant is perhaps you might choose to simply ask for what you want -- like silently wishing upon a star, throwing a coin into a well, writing a letter to Santa, or saying a prayer out loud -- and then do your best to believe that you can do it (i.e. get what you want). And there is no need to be disheartened if the initial offerings from the universe are not exactly what you hoped to receive. It ought to give one confidence upon making note of the evidence that one has the power, which is something that can be built upon to gradually increase one's confidence in one's own abilities.

Here is what my Starforce Captain Marvel obsession is about: her clothes are green, which for me represents Gaian environmentalism. Super Greta!

The movie is very enjoyable; I like it a lot. However, it is sort of a "Matrix blue pill" movie with the seeds of the "Matrix red pill" perspective contained within it for those "with eyes to see". (I am not a Thelemite in the formal Crowleyan religious sense, but your previous SAS signature had not gone unnoticed by me.)

It's quite funny, actually. The movie is like The Matrix if Cypher was the main character, instead of Neo -- so the plot features said main character attempting to plug theirself back into the Matrix, metaphorically speaking (although the movie represents that concept on the screen in a way that is visually reversed, compared with how that same idea is depicted by the Wachowskis' magnum opus). But -- bizarrely -- the character with the "can't do" attitude very obviously CAN DO rather a lot of things: seemingly anything she wants, actually!

Cypher is also a character from a popular tabletop miniatures game, whose allegiance was said to be questionable. And his buddies got into the colour green in a big way.

One of the things I love about the Captain Marvel movie is that her power is said to be derived from her emotions.

In the Wonder Woman movie, the titular superheroine is shown to utilise her strength of feeling for making things the way she wants them to be -- although she is a nice person, so she chooses to primarily work on transforming herself with an eye towards improving the world for everyone. But unlike cinema's Carol Danvers, Diana of Themyscira senses no need for the philosophical invention of a "mcguffin" to explain how she can do what she does: she simply does what she wants to do with her willpower (like reaching out with the hand to pick something up).

In answer to your question: I have so many toys! I feel guilty about that, since action figures and dolls have not been easily recyclable until recently. I aim to purchase far less unnecessary luxury items made from plastic. My plan is to downsize my plastic toys collection so that I will keep only those characters whom I like best. However, it is not my intention to "guilt trip" anyone; my version of Starforce Captain Marvel is more like a girl going her own way than the Dictator's doll. We don't have to stop using plastic altogether in deference to some vicious green-eyed Goddess.

Look at what TerraCycle and Hasbro have been up to:

https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/brigades/hasbro
https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/zero_waste_boxes/toys
https://csr.hasbro.com/en-us/toy-recycling

"this program is completely free and very easy"

"use this (TerraCycle Zero Waste Box) to recycle any item that is used for play, including electronic toys"

"toys and games collected through this program will be recycled into new materials and products"

Cool, huh? I want the TerraCycle Zero Waste Box model (or something like it) to be rolled out all around the world. It makes sense for private companies like Hasbro to work directly with providers of recycling solutions, since a company like Hasbro will have extant inventories enabling ease of dismantling plastic products with complex constructions -- as well as ease of sorting the constituent parts into different grades of recyclable materials. Hopefully there will be a way to recycle toys and games with zero waste in Britain, soon.

Back to talking about the plastic toys though! I want to eventually acquire a Reign action figure with a removable black mask: specifically the alter-ego of Sam Arias from the Supergirl TV show, and not the female Doomsday from the DC comics. Just to clarify again: that's Odette Annable, not Adelaide Kane. Maybe I will fashion this "dolly" myself, with my hands -- but that might feel like some horrific dark magic ritual, LOL.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 11:25 AM
SAS Member

@XebelRebel

Well... a few dozen was a euphemism for 100+. But yeah.

I've been collecting LEGO since I was like 5. My favorites were always the Castle, Space, Pirates and Underwater sets. I've got the original Black Seas Barracuda Pirate ship set up on a top shelf, right beside the re-release, and a few other original Pirates sets. Below that I've got the Neptune Discovery Lab Aquanauts set with a bunch of the subs, and the Stingray Stormer which was always one of my favorites. On another shelf unit I've got a whole bunch of Castle sets, of which the Royal Knight's Castle is probably my favorite. On a cabinet area I've set up a bunch of the Star Wars sets I collected more recently -- Kylo Ren's shuttle, the Defender-class light corvette Jedi ship from SWTOR, and the Millennium Falcon.

"Churches ... appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." -Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 11:41 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Yeah I like dolls alright, I mean those life-sized silicone ones with a metal skeleton, as a girlfriend...

Also, I would like to have this Catwoman statue from the 60's Batman TV-series, but it's really pricey for a statue.

I do have the lego version of her, but it was also very expensive, since it only comes in a large exclusive set, but that's okay, I wanted the -66 lego batmobile too.

-61 Lincoln
-62 Fairlane
-65 Mustang
-68 Escort
-91 Thunderbird
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 11:57 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Yeah I like dolls alright, I mean those life-sized silicone ones with a metal skeleton, as a girlfriend...
One of my favorite fantasies involves me designing my own "doll." Wouldn't it be awesome if you could design it on a computer, kind of like some of those advanced Japanese character creators like for Honey Select, including tweaking the facial details... and then have it built in real-life?

Maybe someday, if I ever manage to get a decent job and if I could manage to actually save money for a few decades...

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:40 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
One of my favorite fantasies involves me designing my own "doll." Wouldn't it be awesome if you could design it on a computer, kind of like some of those advanced Japanese character creators like for Honey Select, including tweaking the facial details... and then have it built in real-life?

Maybe someday, if I ever manage to get a decent job and if I could manage to actually save money for a few decades...
The prices have come down on the "dolls", they used to be like 8k, but the competition with so many new manufacturers has lowered the prices significantly. Sure they still have mostly pre-selected set of faces, etc, but I've heard it's pretty common for them to do custom molds from the customer request (although it's probably still really expensive)

Aesthetics are sure really important with these and the lack of really pretty faces has kinda kept me from buying one, yet. I know the first impression from the people about these "dolls" is the "masturbator device", but they are so much more in so many ways. People have statues in their yards, so let me just have an indoor "statue" (and non-judgmental companion).

-61 Lincoln
-62 Fairlane
-65 Mustang
-68 Escort
-91 Thunderbird
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Eternal Solitude, have you read of the rumours that a Zatanna movie might be released by Warner Bros? I'm not a big fan of the character, but I like female superheroes -- so I support the idea of a Zatanna movie being made. What do you think about Jenna Coleman playing Zatanna, as that is who I had in mind for the role?

Thanks for sharing pictures and details of your collection.

Tetragammon, I like LEGO boats, ships, submarines, and coastal buildings a lot.

And that LEGO 1960s Batcave is awesome!

P.S. I am glad that you guys are asking the universe for what you want, but I was hoping that you might want to help out the Justice League. This "bring the T-X to life" kickstarter thing is a bit worrying. I am not being judgemental about you wanting girlfriends; I understand that sentiment and there is nothing wrong with it. I am saying be careful what you wish for, LOL.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page