Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

10 years ago if someone had offered you the life you have now , would you take it?

4K views 42 replies 38 participants last post by  AvoidantGuy 
#1 ·
I would personally.

#6 ·
It's only a little worse than 10 years ago, so I'd have taken it in a heartbeat. 10 years ago, I thought I'd be homeless or in a job I couldn't stand by now. Since 2004, all I've been trying to do is somehow maintain a similar life with less and less money each year... with pretty good success.

I'd have hoped for social development, but you can't have everything.

#9 ·
I'd say so! Ten years ago, I had just gotten out of the local hospital's youth psych ward for a suicide attempt. I thought I'd never graduate high school or have any friends, or find any semblance of happiness. Since then things have hardly been perfect and I still have a lot to figure out, but they're better than I thought possible back then.

#10 ·
hell no. Although I'm a firm believer things can always be(get) worse.

#18 ·
Exactly my thinking - turning down the offer as if the alternative isn't exactly the same.

Anyway - when judging your current life from the perspective of 10 years ago, it may be completely different from how you see it now. Or alternatively, you may have made necessary choices during that time which you probably not appreciate 10 years ago (and so would likely turn the "offer" down).

So basically I appreciate how my life turned out now more so than I would have done earlier. Again, the point made by aqwsderf above makes it a bit awkward answering the question directly.

#13 ·
10 years ago I lived in a shelter for 6 months. During that time the people were sociable and it was eaiser to maintain sleep.

2 years ago I lived in a shelter for 20 months. During that time the people aren't sociable and my sleep was difficult to maintain.

#14 ·
10 years ago, probably not. I was probably expecting myself to be much more ahead in life then in 10 years than I am right now.

5 years ago though, probably yes. Because at that time, I was living in a very bleak and hopeless outlook. Literally just living taking it a few weeks at a time. Although right now, I am still bleak and hopeless, but at least I am now in a state of sustaining in the mean time. But all of that could change of course if someone decides to simply topple over my house of cards (it's staying up, just not expanding as fast) out of pure boredom and in need of some stimulation, and because the cards are not expanding as fast as to their liking.

#17 ·
Depends, I mean is there any other option? There are things I would change looking back but overall...just recently new doors are opening for me and I don't know where they'll lead, if anywhere, but it's better than seemingly having every door shut for years.

#19 ·
Right now, though I would have hoped for more, my life is on the cusp of great promise:

1. I have done a lot of work on myself, understand myself and have build considerable strengths that I have only recently realised others don't have, as a result of learning to cope with mental health problems.
2. It looks like I will be employed in a job which will give me the opportunity for social development
3. I am doing very well with dating. Though its hard, I am confident I will find someone in the next few months who will be a good match for me
4. I am okay financially

I think the next year will be the year I become who I was supposed to become. So I would take it, yes.

#20 ·
Well, I mean, to a large extent, it has been pretty obvious where I was headed all along. There have been a couple of kind of unexpected twists in the road that made things much worse than I thought they'd be, but things are not really all that surprising given the starting point and the likely trajectory from that point.

I would not have been eager to get here if someone had "offered" it to me. No.

#30 ·
Well, I mean, to a large extent, it has been pretty obvious where I was headed all along. There have been a couple of kind of unexpected twists in the road that made things much worse than I thought they'd be, but things are not really all that surprising given the starting point and the likely trajectory from that point.

I would not have been eager to get here if someone had "offered" it to me. No.
Quoted to add - The way things generally go for me, no one ever offers me anything unless it's something I don't want and it's more of a command than an offer.

So if someone "offered" me the life I have now ten years ago, it would have been someone forcing me into the life I have now (on top of the fact that I already have no real choice). Which would be just as bad as it already is but with the added insult of having no choice twice (instead of just once).

#22 ·
I deffo would. Can always strive for better, but in those intervening years, a lot has happened. Places, people, experiences. It was dodgy five years ago but kept my head down and pushed for chances.

Covid has been a block on travel - but cold be helluva lot worse.

Optimistic for the NEXT 10.

#23 ·
10 years ago I was fresh out of high school, starting my first year of university. I was hoping the new environment alone would change the course of my life, which was pretty naive and exposed a lack of self-knowledge on my part. I was sort of in denial about the depth of my issues. So I'd say if I had known where I'd be 10 years down the line I would have been very disappointed in myself.

I'll take it now anyway.

#24 ·
No, my life was better 10 years ago than it is now. And back then I had hope. Now I've just got a collection of personality disorders to show off. I'm probably mostly to blame for that I guess. I probably would have tried harder to keep things together if I had known I'd end up where I am today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.