What are the most overused cliches in Movies and TV shows that annoy you? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What are the most overused cliches in Movies and TV shows that annoy you?

Can be anything

I will start with

In TV soaps where the most new characters happen to have a big secret they have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Sammy Lou Who

My Mood: Bitchy
Manic Pixie Dream Girls.

Now I'm Nothing
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Where everyone lives happily ever after.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 PM
The Groat King

When adults decide to go back to college and everyone applauds.
Also applies to when housewives go back to work. Usually it's in sitcoms.
Social engineering much Hollywood?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 10:08 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Heroes always win in the end. Us bad guys deserve to have our day too.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 10:27 PM
slave

Love is the answer to all problems.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:59 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
When someone gets pregnant unexpectedly/at a very inconvenient time in their life and never gets an abortion.

When someone who expresses a lack of interest in having kids at the last moment does or is talked into it to 'tie everything up' (sometimes it doesn't happen at the last moment but it always seems rushed/fake on screen (like when they shove it into a single episode wut,) examples include:

Jake and Amy on Brooklyn 99, Andy and April on Parks and Rec.

There's a tendency to make the least maternal female character have kids and for an entire plot line to be created around her doing so, and getting pregnant while her more feminine friend struggles and wants kids eg:

Sex and The City Miranda while Charlotte wants kids.

edit: another thing that's common on TV shows is characters who want children always get them eventually. Whether it's biological or through adoption. Characters who don't want kids have kids, characters who don't want kids sometimes don't have kids, characters who want kids have kids. Never seen a storyline where someone wants a kid and it just never happens.

When a cast all end up with each other in the end.

Hooking up characters with no chemistry together due to probably some self insert desires of the writers. Key example from what I remember was Penny and Leonard on The Big Bang Theory legit would have made more sense for her to hook up with Sheldon if anyone. Not that any relationship on that show could have been healthy though.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:23 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I don't know about now but it seems like for many years they had that thing going on where someone would lose their memory but then carry on with their lives as if they hadn't and eventually they would be totally back to normal like it never happened.

/WYSD
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Asleep
Any kind of parallel universe type scenarios with a possibility of different meanings. Boring.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Asleep
I fall asleep literally lol
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:13 PM
The Groat King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
When someone gets pregnant unexpectedly/at a very inconvenient time in their life and never gets an abortion.

When someone who expresses a lack of interest in having kids at the last moment does or is talked into it to 'tie everything up' (sometimes it doesn't happen at the last moment but it always seems rushed/fake on screen (like when they shove it into a single episode wut,) examples include:

Jake and Amy on Brooklyn 99, Andy and April on Parks and Rec.

There's a tendency to make the least maternal female character have kids and for an entire plot line to be created around her doing so, and getting pregnant while her more feminine friend struggles and wants kids eg:

Sex and The City Miranda while Charlotte wants kids.

edit: another thing that's common on TV shows is characters who want children always get them eventually. Whether it's biological or through adoption. Characters who don't want kids have kids, characters who don't want kids sometimes don't have kids, characters who want kids have kids. Never seen a storyline where someone wants a kid and it just never happens.

When a cast all end up with each other in the end.

Hooking up characters with no chemistry together due to probably some self insert desires of the writers. Key example from what I remember was Penny and Leonard on The Big Bang Theory legit would have made more sense for her to hook up with Sheldon if anyone. Not that any relationship on that show could have been healthy though.
I agree with all of that especially about the least maternal woman getting pregnant. That just happened on Modern Family and is part of the reason I gave up on that show. Besides the fact that I'm just tired of looking at those people.

And yes yes yes to Sheldon and Penny. Those were the two with the chemistry on that show. I never did like Amy and never cared much for Leonard either.
Putting Sheldon and Penny together could have kept that show from sinking into a pit of over-sentimentality.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:00 PM
SAS Member

the little children ghosts that are running rampant in "scary movies". usually a little girl with messy hair hanging over her face. they just appear out of nowhere standing in a hallway, or a reflection in a mirror. then they just whisper some corny crap. is there even anything scary about this? i think not. to add to that they're not even ghosts they're fully formed people. i don't understand it.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:20 PM
SAS Member

I have no idea - but how anyone can possibly watch Big Bang Theory or Friends without wanting to smash their television is beyond me.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:37 PM
a

Those movies/TV shows where happiness is accentuated right before a bad thing, for extra dramatic effect (but makes me cringe).

2b
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 05:51 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
I agree with all of that especially about the least maternal woman getting pregnant. That just happened on Modern Family and is part of the reason I gave up on that show. Besides the fact that I'm just tired of looking at those people.

And yes yes yes to Sheldon and Penny. Those were the two with the chemistry on that show. I never did like Amy and never cared much for Leonard either.
Putting Sheldon and Penny together could have kept that show from sinking into a pit of over-sentimentality.
Yeah I didn't like that twist in Modern Family either it also seemed like they rushed it in because the show is coming to a close and they wanted there to be 'another generation' or something.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:08 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Slaanesh

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/com...s_depicted_so/

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17622592249

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17621322022

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...bout_sylvanas/

Quote:
I think Sylvannas has always been a great subterfuge character/ leader. Doing dirty work behind the scenes... but as a front and center Warchief? It's true what they say; if you like a character, pray Blizzard ignores them.
lol. At least Vol'jin was warchief for a short while.

I realise this isn't TV/film but close enough and there is a Warcraft film actually now. And though these were the most annoying and recent examples that annoyed me/come to mind really it's just the way villains in general are portrayed. But also and this is particular to these examples there's this idea that they're neutral factions or supposed to be but they still make one side obviously bad in a dumb *** binary way. At least Warcraft queercodes a bit less.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:03 PM
SAS Member

In sitcoms when somebody says "I love you" before they're "ready", whatever that means and the whole episode is them panicking about it.

And when a guy asks a woman's dad if he can marry her. It's not the 18th century, she's the only one to ask. Surprisingly, I've asked real women about this and they all seem to like it.

Work a little bit harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 12:48 AM
SAS Member

When the male main character and the female main character clearly don't get along at first and are diametrically opposed and then end up becoming each other's love interests. It's totally predictable and doesn't make sense. Often times their personalities aren't compatible and it comes off as the writer was just trying to fit a love story into the script
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 02:59 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

all scripts ping-pong

YOU! then the victim yells YOU back at 'em!

no human sees past their own nose

world of our own dismal

when other humans involved
just shouting at each other. no fascinating concepts. just the other person?

objects/items mean a lot more than boring human bodies

but all thing involve other people who manufacture: car, fone? furniture, art, music? humans are everything? what's the body worth? Ł0. best when incinerated so all resources become available.

i see no humans. but in a supermarket! crowds & queues. i watch zombies taking epic time concentrating too long lifting toward sensors. hours waiting behind all retards. i sprint around squeezing past everyone. but final stage of terminals. proud when not accusing the retards. i do, with a 3rd party.

machines & software interface designed to call me "YOU" You sure You want you want to.. you & you??? want cancel the item? want receipt? someone say YOU to me, i mirror their placebo term of referencing the person with such label, i say human. often.. as their usage of plankton term .. it? questions follow. most hated phrase: "Who DO YOU Think YOU ARE?" entire conveyance of meaning to me: = "UH" preferred: "What YOU Think YOU ARE?"

seriously, i do need human language = SQL
or C# ? "U think" a question or command? what's what?

this symbol: = why people use this word? "is" equal? or Are? or > or <

UP TO?? MAX
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:39 AM
--

I liked Sylvanas, though with the recent events, and that one writer inserting himself into the story to vicariously romance her (https://imgur.com/r/wow/FX4poT6), I can't say I'm much of a fan.

Annoying cliche: When the first bad guy is defeated by an even stronger bad guy to prove how strong the new bad guy is.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page