Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What are the most overused cliches in Movies and TV shows that annoy you?

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Hank Scorpio 
#1 ·
Can be anything

I will start with

In TV soaps where the most new characters happen to have a big secret they have.

#3 ·
Where everyone lives happily ever after.

#7 ·
When someone gets pregnant unexpectedly/at a very inconvenient time in their life and never gets an abortion.

When someone who expresses a lack of interest in having kids at the last moment does or is talked into it to 'tie everything up' (sometimes it doesn't happen at the last moment but it always seems rushed/fake on screen (like when they shove it into a single episode wut,) examples include:

Jake and Amy on Brooklyn 99, Andy and April on Parks and Rec.

There's a tendency to make the least maternal female character have kids and for an entire plot line to be created around her doing so, and getting pregnant while her more feminine friend struggles and wants kids eg:

Sex and The City Miranda while Charlotte wants kids.

edit: another thing that's common on TV shows is characters who want children always get them eventually. Whether it's biological or through adoption. Characters who don't want kids have kids, characters who don't want kids sometimes don't have kids, characters who want kids have kids. Never seen a storyline where someone wants a kid and it just never happens.

When a cast all end up with each other in the end.

Hooking up characters with no chemistry together due to probably some self insert desires of the writers. Key example from what I remember was Penny and Leonard on The Big Bang Theory legit would have made more sense for her to hook up with Sheldon if anyone. Not that any relationship on that show could have been healthy though.

#11 ·
I agree with all of that especially about the least maternal woman getting pregnant. That just happened on Modern Family and is part of the reason I gave up on that show. Besides the fact that I'm just tired of looking at those people.

And yes yes yes to Sheldon and Penny. Those were the two with the chemistry on that show. I never did like Amy and never cared much for Leonard either.
Putting Sheldon and Penny together could have kept that show from sinking into a pit of over-sentimentality.

#12 ·
the little children ghosts that are running rampant in "scary movies". usually a little girl with messy hair hanging over her face. they just appear out of nowhere standing in a hallway, or a reflection in a mirror. then they just whisper some corny crap. is there even anything scary about this? i think not. to add to that they're not even ghosts they're fully formed people. i don't understand it.

#16 ·
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Slaanesh

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17622592249

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17621322022

I think Sylvannas has always been a great subterfuge character/ leader. Doing dirty work behind the scenes... but as a front and center Warchief? It's true what they say; if you like a character, pray Blizzard ignores them.
lol. At least Vol'jin was warchief for a short while.

I realise this isn't TV/film but close enough and there is a Warcraft film actually now. And though these were the most annoying and recent examples that annoyed me/come to mind really it's just the way villains in general are portrayed. But also and this is particular to these examples there's this idea that they're neutral factions or supposed to be but they still make one side obviously bad in a dumb *** binary way. At least Warcraft queercodes a bit less.

#17 ·
In sitcoms when somebody says "I love you" before they're "ready", whatever that means and the whole episode is them panicking about it.

And when a guy asks a woman's dad if he can marry her. It's not the 18th century, she's the only one to ask. Surprisingly, I've asked real women about this and they all seem to like it.

#18 ·
When the male main character and the female main character clearly don't get along at first and are diametrically opposed and then end up becoming each other's love interests. It's totally predictable and doesn't make sense. Often times their personalities aren't compatible and it comes off as the writer was just trying to fit a love story into the script

#19 ·
all scripts ping-pong

YOU! then the victim yells YOU back at 'em!

no human sees past their own nose

world of our own dismal

when other humans involved
just shouting at each other. no fascinating concepts. just the other person?

objects/items mean a lot more than boring human bodies

but all thing involve other people who manufacture: car, fone? furniture, art, music? humans are everything? what's the body worth? £0. best when incinerated so all resources become available.

i see no humans. but in a supermarket! crowds & queues. i watch zombies taking epic time concentrating too long lifting toward sensors. hours waiting behind all retards. i sprint around squeezing past everyone. but final stage of terminals. proud when not accusing the retards. i do, with a 3rd party.

machines & software interface designed to call me "YOU" You sure You want you want to.. you & you??? want cancel the item? want receipt? someone say YOU to me, i mirror their placebo term of referencing the person with such label, i say human. often.. as their usage of plankton term .. it? questions follow. most hated phrase: "Who DO YOU Think YOU ARE?" entire conveyance of meaning to me: = "UH" preferred: "What YOU Think YOU ARE?"

seriously, i do need human language = SQL
or C# ? "U think" a question or command? what's what?

this symbol: = why people use this word? "is" equal? or Are? or > or <

UP TO?? MAX

#20 ·
I liked Sylvanas, though with the recent events, and that one writer inserting himself into the story to vicariously romance her (), I can't say I'm much of a fan.

Annoying cliche: When the first bad guy is defeated by an even stronger bad guy to prove how strong the new bad guy is.

#21 ·
^ So I stopped playing WoW years ago and only occasionally check in to see what's happening lorewise.

Well.

Still waiting for the 'morally grey' part. :|

Oh dear.

Warchief of the Horde is a bit like being a defence against the dark arts teacher at Hogwarts.

#22 ·
People completely armed in horror movie suddenly forgetting how to use every single weapon on them when they get scared

#23 ·
When they adapt a character who is supposed to be plain or ugly by using an attractive person and pretending they're unattractive, by putting glasses, frumpy clothes and disheveled hair, or like, a very, very faint birthmark to count as a disfigurement, even though it compromises the story line. It actually has a name 'Adaptational Attractiveness' and I saw a video on this recently:

And just generally the ugly duckling turns into swan trope irritates me because it's so overdone and unrealistic.

#24 ·
When the male protagonist flirt with a lady at the bar ,and the lady giggles at everything. Even sh*t that don't even make sense. Also when they try to make the protagonist/antagonist look "badass" with some unnecessary poses and stares,hard to explain but one actor I saw pulling those unnecessary poses and stares really well was Mahershala Ali in Alita Battle Angel. One of my favourite villains of 2019

#25 ·
Chalk up another one for happily ever after. Even if real life does occasionally have temporary soaring moments, most people don't live happily ever after. There's a limited amount of happy juice in every lifetime and it will always run out eventually. (god that sounded more disgusting than I meant for it to).

#26 ·
Sci-fi cliches I hate.

Time Travel - I don't care that "scientists say it's technically possible", it's impossible and makes no sense.

Kill the queen and the whole alien species dies - A species like that could never survive and it's the total opposite of how real ants and bees work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.