Songs that made you cry? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.

Songs that made you cry?

I'm not the kind of person who cries easily. Only two songs in my memory have led me to do so, since I can relate to the subject of the songs:

Dance with my Father by Luther Vandross

If You're Reading This by Tim McGraw

Any more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 PM
SAS Member

re: Songs that made you cry?

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
SAS Member

I don't think any song has ever made me Cry, I have got a little teary...

"Beautiful One" by Mortal Love

Unspoken Love...

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Super Beaver

Sleater-Kinney - Sympathy
Electrelane - 8 Steps

One More Hour.. the last song Sleater-Kinney played at their farewell show.. had me bawling. A year later and I still can't listen to it or I'll start crying again.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Monster

Everything makes me cry, but this one in particular just hurts for some reason -

Hold Me Down by Motion City Soundtrack

You're the echoes of my everything,
You're the emptiness the whole world sings at night.
You're the laziness of afternoon,
You're the reason why I burst and why I bloom.
You're the leaky sink of sentiment,
You're the failed attempts I never could forget.
You're the metaphors I can't create to comprehend this curse that I call love..
How will I break the news to you?

I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 02:28 AM

Death Cab For Cutie 'Transatlanticism' because I was thinking of someone far away and the chorus "I need you so much closer" hits me so hard. The whole damn song actually, it's gorgeous.

'Butterfly Kisses' by Bob Carlisle
It's just so sweet about a relationship between a father and daughter and the daughter growing up and he has to give her away at her wedding.
It makes me cry like a lil' *****.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 AM

"What A Wonderful World" By Louis Armstrong
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Death Cab for Cutie- Transatlanticism
Taking back Sunday- you're so last summer
Her Space holiday-Tech Romance, and some of his other songs.
The Postal Service- Nothing Better
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Permanently Banned

emerson drive - moments

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 04:54 PM

I never cry over books, movies, songs, but this one song did it for me. I would have it play in my head when one of my rats died, even though it's not related to pets. More of a song about lost love.

Les Miserables-On My Own

And now I'm all alone again
Nowhere to turn, no one to go to.
Without a home, without a friend
without a face to say hello to
But now the night is near
And I can make-believe he's here

Sometimes I walk alone at night
When everybody else is sleeping
I think of him and then I'm happy
With the company I'm keeping
The city goes to bed
And I can live inside my head

On my own
Pretending he's beside me
All alone
I walk with him 'til morning
Without him, I feel his arms around me
And when I lose my way, I close my eyes and he has found me

In the rain
The pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever

And I know it's only in my mind
That I'm talking to myself and not to him
And although I know that he is blind
Still I say there's a way for us

I love him
But when the night is over
He is gone
The river's just a river
Without him, the world around me changes
The trees are bare and everywhere the streets are full of strangers

I love him
But every day I'm lonely
All my life I've only been pretending
Without me, his world will go on turning
The world is full of happiness that I have never known

I love him
I love him
I love him...
But only on my own...
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM
SAS Member

For some reason, 'Fly' by Nick Drake, but only recently. I've never actually cried while listening to it, but I've felt like it. There's something in his voice that makes it sound like he's really asking for a second chance, or something. I'm going to go listen to it.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 PM
SAS Member

Janis Joplin's - Work Me, Lord and Little Girl Blue.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead

It's shuch a beautiful shong, the extent of its exquisite beauty is so unbelievable

This version of Nina Simone's song by amazing Janis Joplin pouring her heart into it makes me cry not only because it's so beautiful, but also for personal reasons. I think a great deal of songs that make us cry are mirroring our emotions.

Same reason (mirroring me feelings). My favorite part of it is when the backup singers and Florence start singing and till the end of the song. She borrowed from gospel music and her entire second album sounds like religious chanting even though it's not religious. Love that sound so much.

Also mirroring of my feelings. Made me cry a few years ago when I heard it on radio in public transport :/ It was a very embarrassing experience to have people noticing that and staring at me. Cause it wasn't just a tear. I couldn't stop :/ I mean I guess that's why tears exist in the first place, to give signals to other people that you're not feeling well and make them feel empathetic and show empathy towards you. That's if those people were super healthy, but that's not the reality. So they just feel uncomfortable and/or stare at you from afar. They usually suppress their emotions themselves.

This one made me cry in a very specific circumstances, when I heard it in public again. It was before a therapy session, I was thinking about my past, my traumas etc, specifically about the connection thing and I was anticipating and craving it. Unfortunately, it's a very unusual state for me as a schizoid. If it wasn't then I can't even describe how tremendously it could help me in therapy and relationship. Instead I'm trying to forcefully summon these feelings most of the time and these efforts don't help to summon it at all Only sometimes. And there's too little of it

I could control the tears this time better though.

It's such a pleasure to suddenly hear your favorite songs and artists on a radio somewhere in public because most of the time some crap is playing.

Sorry not sorry
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:31 PM
blob

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Song and action man

The one below. I wrote a blog about it on this site before. It reminds me of my natural curious/innocent state before SA kind of ruined me

“Just because you have a choice, it doesn't mean that any of them 'has' to be right."
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:27 PM

6-7.

I don't remember how I got to listen to them in the first place, but I remember they made me cry from falling in love with that guy from my favorite city that I only saw once lol I think I liked him cause he was a rocker with tattoos and all, but he was also shy and sensitive and polite lol It was so long ago, when I was a teen. It's funny how I only got to remember that now when remembering songs that made me cry in the past. The lyrics don't even suit the situation, especially the second song. I must had projected a great deal onto that guy. I remember feeling super lonely and depressed at that point of time and I was also in love with that city and was so sad to leave it and be back at my ****hole where most people are the opposite of polite, sensitive etc, where we drifted apart with my two only friends, where I was scared to start my life after school and where everything was so awful.

I'm not that into Christina Aguilera though. Her singing no longer makes me feel particularly emotional, as opposed to Mariah Carey.

Speaking of that time, this one is another song that made me cry back then. I thought it sounded like the state I was in. I didn't understand the lyrics though, something about angel Gabriel. I was still a lot into God and Christianity stuff back then and I was thinking about some invisible support of God and angels and that I had an angel and that it was witnessing the state I was in and my life.

This song was also popular at that time, back when Ed Sheeran wasn't so ''bloody'' annoying and mainstream. I cried because of the situation in it and because of the music video. I was feeling for the woman in it. Maybe she was even partly reflecting my own state. And it was a lonely girl too. And, again, there was a world ''angels'' in it and I was thinking about angels cause that was at that same exact period of time.

I was ignorant about prostitution back then and thought only some individual cases were that tragic.

Speaking of prostitution, this video was making me cry too long before I found out anything about women's life in prostitution and why they get there. So I was thinking of it as an individual case again. That's because I had stupid myths about women in prostitution in my head too and I was in my early-mid teen years.

I like how the focus is on the woman who does that, her real life, how surprisingly humanizing this video is to a woman in prostitution and strip club dancer. It's not sexually objectifying or/and diminishing. It's so rare to this day, especially when clueless, fooled by the pimps' lobbists, ''progressive'' and erm ''feminist'' (no) people demand to portray this all as ''fun and empowering''

Speaking of Christina Aguilera, this song would always make me cry because it would remind me of my grandad who died very very long ago. I can't relate to her feeling of guilt and him being wrong though. Plus he died when I only turned 7.

12-17.

Speaking of Christianity, God and my mid teens. These songs made me cry when I was finding erm ''Christian rock'' songs. They all reflected my feelings about God.

However, I was aware that at least two last songs were kinda strange.

Speaking of earlier or same teenage years, this song made me cry when I was thinking about yet another (but before the first one I described) guy I liked not mutually, from afar. He had a gothic style and I saw him frequently cause he lived very near me.

Omg, that's enough. If I'll be remembering every song that ever made me cry it will take so much time and so much space in this thread. Most of the songs in this post don't make me cry anymore. It's just memories and for me remembering is important cause I can reflect back. These songs make me remember much more than I usually do. I don't have these things at the back of my mind and don't remember they existed otherwise.

Sorry not sorry
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
It's more likely that they'll just make me feel intense emotion than actually cry.

Off the top of my head though songs/music where I actually cried before:

But I think my favourite track from WoW is this one (though it's really hard to say because the music in that game is amazing. 1:20 and then the part at 4:20 onwards. Would just fly around there for the music haha.)

Don't think this made me cry but also very emotional:

Guthix was my favourite non-God (favourite God is obviously the cabbage.)

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
The one below. I wrote a blog about it on this site before. It reminds me of my natural curious/innocent state before SA kind of ruined me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqUdI4AIDF0
Aw, that's so nice. Sorry you're feeling this way Wish you to get back to that state.

Sorry not sorry
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:52 PM

Okay, another portion

Makes me cry because I associate it with my ex childhood friend.

I was associating this song with my previous (and first one) cat when she died (she was 14 years old and she died from cancer). For some reason the lyrics sounded as if she would sing it if she was a human
Wait a second, I still do and it still makes me weep. Just now.

Sorry not sorry
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed
Life By the Drop - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page