Post your unpopular entertainment opinions? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Post your unpopular entertainment opinions?

Whether that be TV film , music YouTube et
I will start

Friends is world class
Zerkaa is the best sideman
Deji deserves more credit as a youtuber
Adam Sandler movies are world class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 02:28 PM
SAS Member

Language: Spanish, English, German
My Mood: Relaxed
I hate how movies make named characters hypercompetent at everything. It never fails to break immersion. A nerdy character can't just have an interest in computers. He has to be the best hacker in the world. A cop can't just be fit, he has to be able to kick grenades out of the air back at enemies. There's a line between a power fantasy and everything being effortless.

I hate how open world games are automatically considered to be better than linear games.

I hate how some LGBT characters are entirely defined by that one trait, and how we're still at the point where the media pushes a "right way" to be gay, which involves either being into BDSM or being into girly things. (The United States doesn't do this as much anymore at least)

I think we're good on first-person no-combat horror games that are essentially carnival rides for Youtubers who scream in their thumbnails. Please go back to making actual survival horror games.

I don't like that anything that's set in viking/medieval times is only allowed to have one kind of comic relief: drunk characters saying vulgar things

I think games nowadays are gory in a very tasteless way.

I hate how every villanous faction in media is a rebranding of the NSDAP.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 03:52 PM
SAS Member

Christopher Nolan hasn't made a truly good movie from 2008 on (including The Dark Knight), and Interstellar and Tenet are among the worst movies ever made.

The Shape of Water, Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Once Upon a Time . . . in Hollywood are all HORRIBLE movies.

Martin Scorsese is supremely overrated.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 03:56 PM
SAS Member

Leonardo Dicaprio should have won an Oscar for the Departed not for the Revenant
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 04:06 PM
zkv
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwsderf View Post
Leonardo Dicaprio should have won an Oscar for the Departed not for the Revenant
My dad said something like that. Didn't mention The Departed but said he was OK in The Revenant but anyone could've done it. And he loves DiCaprio. Who should've won that year, though? Redmayne? Fassbender?

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 04:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv View Post
My dad said something like that. Didn't mention The Departed but said he was OK in The Revenant but anyone could've done it. And he loves DiCaprio. Who should've won that year, though? Redmayne? Fassbender?
He wasn't even nominated for the Departed that year even tho the movie took home the majority of awards. It's ridiculous

I prob would have given it to Redmayne
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 04:20 PM
SAS Member

Jennifer Lawrence and Brad Pitt are not good actors.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 05:35 PM
drifting in mist

Breaking Bad is very xenophobic. I agree about Chris Nolan, his movies are vapid (though I enjoyed interstellar). Anything Disney touches is poison (including Marvel and Lucasarts now).
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM
Failure's Art

Pop, R&B and Hip-Hop suck. I don't care that they sell billions of records and mostly everyone listens to that ****e. OK, once in a while I can get into the right kind of Hip-Hop. But basically it's all manufactured, auto-tuned, souless garbage.

Scientists Just Discovered Why All Pop Music Sounds Exactly the Same
https://www.mic.com/articles/107896/...ounds-the-same

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 06:50 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Chandler and Rachel actually had quite a bit of chemistry in the first season of Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 07:26 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
All those superhero films are just mostly trash. Logan was alright at best, but it's garbage when you know the comics. I can name you about 5 superheros movie that were alright to great. Rest is pretty much kiddy garbage.

The only worthwhile superhero show right now is The Boys.

Can't believe the new Blade film will be like pg13 lmao. **** off with that ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeta View Post

I think we're good on first-person no-combat horror games that are essentially carnival rides for Youtubers who scream in their thumbnails. Please go back to making actual survival horror games.

I agree with that so much. Those and the walking simulators like Firewatch.

What is a man?
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

I don't like Fight Club or the Matrix

I don't like anime.

Mucus is a living thing you know
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:49 PM
SAS Member

Language: Spanish, English, German
Metal seems to be specifically engineered to be as annoying as possible to anyone who is not already very much into it. No other genre comes close. It also tends to have the most pretentious fans, who really love to overstate its quality and originality and call other genres worthless. Some even think that it's the modern descendant of classical music or some ****. Hip hop, funk, EDM, rock, jazz, and pop are at least somewhat listenable even if you dislike them, but metal fans don't seem to notice how much more irritating their music sounds to someone who doesn't like it. Subjecting someone who is not into pop to a pop song is a faux pas. Subjecting people who are not into metal to metal songs is torture.

Most superhero movies released nowadays will be painful to sit through in a few years. They also seem to be designed to be as forgettable as possible. They're just not that entertaining and most heroes are interchangeable. They all have the same morals and they're either quippy or brooding with very little more to their characters.

I find it really distracting when foreign characters in movies speak the local language perfectly and only "forget" the most basic words. They talk like this: "It would most certainly behove you to comport yourself in a manner befitting your familia."

I hate it when games force you to push up and block all other inputs while you listen to characters talk about things that could perfectly be explained in a skippable cutscene. It's like every year they come up with new ways to make their derivative stories get in the way of gameplay and I'm shocked that so many people are okay with it.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myosr View Post
I don't like Fight Club or the Matrix

I don't like anime.
Fight Club was OK but I didn't love it. The Matrix (the first one) was/is amazing. Still. I'll never forget when it first came out on DVD. It was THE movie that helped launch DVD. I mean, I personally think it's impossible to overrate The Matrix but whatever you think of it, DVD was actually behind the times in terms of technology and the best we had before that was VHS (well, the best the average person had was VHS. But even LaserDisc wasn't that great). The Matrix convinced me to splurge on DVD. Which (if you're old enough you might remember) was really expensive back then. And the TVs of the time could not really even take full advantage of the benefits of DVD (most people had TVs with 4:3 AR and most DVDs that were coming out were 16:9 AR. Many of them did not even include a 4:3 version and many people were hating it because they didn't like the black bars and many TVs didn't even have component inputs).

DVD was well overdue when it finally did become the dominant format and anything that hastened that can be forgiven for any failings it may have had. But I still think The Matrix stands on it's own.

I don't like anime either.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:09 PM
SAS Member

@WillYouStopDave

I almost removed "The Matrix" before I posted because I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'll just never watch it again.

I've heard so many people talking about it and analyzing it and using scenes or metaphors from it, etc, etc. It's almost impossible for me to separate the movie from all those things and enjoy it as a separate thing. Also, conspiracy theorists love the Matrix metaphor so it's kind of tainted for me

The first time I watched it was a long time ago, so I don't really remember how I felt about it.

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 05:34 PM
Failure's Art

Quote:
I don't like Fight Club

You are a blasphemer, sir! Best movie ever. Awesome book too. Probably why it was such a great movie, because it's for the most part true to the book except for a couple of small improvements. I love it because its one of the most anti-authority, anti-social, anti-professional class, anti-consumerist political statements of a movie there is. Why do you think the first rule of fight club is not to talk about fight club? To teach you how to break rules and resist authority! And in a way its also an indictment of radical political movements and their drink the kool-aid type of devolutions into conformity. But yea I guess this is the "unpopular" opinions thread. Any reason why you don't like it?

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:36 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
@WillYouStopDave

I almost removed "The Matrix" before I posted because I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'll just never watch it again.

I've heard so many people talking about it and analyzing it and using scenes or metaphors from it, etc, etc. It's almost impossible for me to separate the movie from all those things and enjoy it as a separate thing. Also, conspiracy theorists love the Matrix metaphor so it's kind of tainted for me

The first time I watched it was a long time ago, so I don't really remember how I felt about it.
Oh yeah the way it's been used culturally is obnoxious. I liked the films though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:51 PM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
I need roman style colosseums to open up again, back in the day they used to be my bread & butter collecting souls & pretty fun too : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:57 PM
zkv
SAS Member

There are two Matrix movies too many. But that's maybe the more popular opinion, not sure. Are they really making a fourth one? Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
I love it because its one of the most anti-authority, anti-social, anti-professional class, anti-consumerist political statements of a movie there is. Why do you think the first rule of fight club is not to talk about fight club? To teach you how to break rules and resist authority! And in a way its also an indictment of radical political movements and their drink the kool-aid type of devolutions into conformity.
No fear? No distractions? The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide? Good plan but no, can't do none of that.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 01:36 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
You are a blasphemer, sir! Best movie ever. Awesome book too. Probably why it was such a great movie, because it's for the most part true to the book except for a couple of small improvements. I love it because its one of the most anti-authority, anti-social, anti-professional class, anti-consumerist political statements of a movie there is. Why do you think the first rule of fight club is not to talk about fight club? To teach you how to break rules and resist authority! And in a way its also an indictment of radical political movements and their drink the kool-aid type of devolutions into conformity. But yea I guess this is the "unpopular" opinions thread. Any reason why you don't like it?
Hm. I don't think there are any deep reasons. I just don't like the hypermasculinity stuff? if that makes any sense. It just doesn't jive with me. I mean I can relate to the protagonist's problems, just not to the way his spoilers "friend" came to solve it?

Also, the ending scene was just so unbelievable (all those buildings exploding). I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Oh yeah the way it's been used culturally is obnoxious. I liked the films though.
I think the idea that there is "a super conspiracy that can be easily exposed" has been taken seriously by so many weird people it just turns me off honestly.
Also, the average Joe turning to Jesus & Neo being such a bland character.
I mean in the context of a movie that's all good (suspension of disbelief and all that), but I think it's taken more seriously than it should?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page