Popular media that everyone seems to like but you - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Popular media that everyone seems to like but you

Harry Potter. Star Wars. Netflix shows. Game of Thrones. Friends. BTS. Anime (like a few but I mean like 5). Marvel. Tiktok (never used it), Instagram (I have one but don’t post on it), Disney. Most movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 11:05 PM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Well I've never used tiktok but that's really just because it's mostly teenagers. I mostly like the other stuff you listed, or at least some of them, or parts of them.

Never heard BTS music I listened to some kpop around 2014/2015 but BTS are probably new and I don't keep up with that.

I feel like Japanese and Korean rock music is underrated though comparatively.

Like this kind of thing is fine in the right mood or something:

https://@www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihi_kJJj_8A

https://@www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AYJZvHeKFo

https://@www.youtube.com/watch?v=73--6_6bfKw

^ and kind of sounds like Metallica in the opening there haha but yeah.

but this stuff is all legit great and could pretty much go back to it at any point:

edit: also unrelated off topic fact this is one of the few Japanese songs I can sing along to without looking up lyrics.

^ this band are amazing but they never tour outside Japan and basically don't have any following outside Japan except the odd person so.

I dunno why it was always harder finding Korean rock and metal I'd rarely stumble on it unlike with Japanese stuff. I always found it weird how it was easy to find Japanese metal/rock probably more common than pop but then hip-hop and pop is more common among the Korean stuff I'd find lol. Like a genre per country or something at least on YouTube. But I guess it's like how it's easier to stumble on Scandinavian or Nordic metal or Russian and Belarusian post-punk.

edit:

Quote:
My k-pop obsessed friend told me to check out korean music.
I pretty sure this is not what she had in mind but I love it.

There was a song I was looking for before I started spamming jrock videos yesterday. I think it's by Gostwind but I can't remember what it was called and think whatever the song was was deleted from YT when I had it bookmarked. So anyway I'll just link this instead:

https://@www.youtube.com/watch?v=03l015dq9r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 12:12 AM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
The majority of people don't like the majority of those things. With the extreme variety of entertainment options these days, the most popular media can't approach 50% popularity.

Personally I don't like Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Friends, BTS, any anime, any Marvel, Tiktok, Instagram or Disney. But I think that's pretty normal of me.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 01:11 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
The Witcher. I'm not into fantasy in general, especially grim settings. I don't like sex in mainstream games, nor settings where sex-based discrimination is commonplace and almost everyone is an ignorant, superstitious ***. I'm sure the games are good, but I struggle to think of how you could make a less appealing (to me) setting than The Witcher. I wouldnt want to immerse myself in that world.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 08:24 AM
Fupa King

Language: English
Tik tok, although, I'm a bit old for it anyway. Never even got into Vine when it was big, but it's demographic seemed to be more college-aged. Honestly there aren't many things I feel like I actively dislike. I don't really have the same nostalgic connections to Disney movies people do. I tend not to like sitcoms in general. I don't love the Office but I don't have a burning hatred for it. Like I can watch it and find it funny, and there's some really good moments in the show that can make it worth it, but I feel no need to rewatch the entire series every week. I like Parks and Rec but it's mainly because I got attached to Andy, Ron Swanson (because of how many people I know who are Libertarians who want to be this person but are not this person), and April. Super Smash Brothers. It's weird. As a kid I used to think this game was the coolest concept, and it is, in some sense it's one of those universal video games where even if you don't play video games you probably will play Smash because it's the party game of fighting games. Now, I play it and it's just kinda "meh." Sports, but I wished I liked sports just to have more to talk about with people.

Life's Wack
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 09:03 AM
SAS Member

Language: French/English
My Mood: Pensive
I used to like TVA Nouvelles but it became a manufacturer of fear, for citizens to bow down and stay on their knees in front of the government and "doctors" of Big Pharma!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 06:47 PM
Not like the other ducks

I was never really that into zombies when they were really popular. Werewolves don't interest me much. Neither do most fictional films about animals like animal cartoons were never my favourite especially didn't like 101 Dalmatians when I was a kid, or if there's some live action film about a dog or something I don't really care.

Quote:
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 04:50 PM
Mattie Sanstheworld

I don't think I've ever watched a comedy movie, like ever, I can't think of a single one.

(I probably have but I've blocked them from my memory because I'm so turned off by the concept of a comedy movie, something's really creepy about the idea of someone doing a whole movie just to make you laugh, seems unnatural).

Okay, that's dumb. I can't explain. I just hate comedies. I hate looking at their posters.

My sense of humor is pretty boring, so I think comedy's just too deep for me.

Romantic movies are pretty creepy too

---

What else?

superhero comic books? Is that popular media? I don't know.

I'm not sure why in the West / US or whatever I feel like that's the kind of comics people grew up with.

Where I live it was mostly "Mickey Mouse" and "Donald Duck" stuff, and I loved those. Well, the Donald duck stuff anyway, some of them were really deep, lol.

I don't like superhero comic drawing style.

I had a classmate (I was like 10 - 13) that was really good at drawing (I mean he was objectively good at it), he used to draw those silly batmans and supermans and I think he even invented his own superheroes and he kept telling me about them. And I always never cared, lol.

He did introduce me to Tintin though, which I guess was fun, though I don't remember much of it.

Okay, enough rambling.

Mucus is a living thing you know
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 05:33 PM
Not like the other ducks

^ Nah it's just tiktok for me I still watch Marvel films and listened to a bunch of Billie Eilish tracks she's OK but I'm not that into the style.

Quote:

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 05:57 PM
😷

My Mood: Angelic
The gramophone & post mortem photographs.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Among us which everyone seems to be playing. I don’t even get it
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 03:33 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equity View Post
I think with me now fantasy usually should have something unique to it that other fantasy does not have much of, like a lot of comedy in it or something.
Yeah, nearly all fantasy settings nowadays are the same tired old Tolkien cliches with the elves and the dwarves and what have you. Either that or it's just basically medieval. I can only get into ones that have a twist to them, like maybe steampunk elements, or ones that are based on a different folklore like the Thea games.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 03:43 PM
SAS Member

Avatar I just don't understand the liking for. I only ever viewed it once, in the theater. The story is absolutely negligible, just a retread of Dune and other similar stuff. People raved about the special effects, and the blue people were horribly rendered. The faces sucked. James Cameron is making these sequels, and I kind of doubt that any interest still exists in the franchise.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 03:52 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedOver View Post
Avatar I just don't understand the liking for. I only ever viewed it once, in the theater.
I didn't like it either.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 03:52 PM
Fupa King

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedOver View Post
Avatar I just don't understand the liking for. I only ever viewed it once, in the theater. The story is absolutely negligible, just a retread of Dune and other similar stuff. People raved about the special effects, and the blue people were horribly rendered. The faces sucked. James Cameron is making these sequels, and I kind of doubt that any interest still exists in the franchise.
Nobody can even remember the main character's name in that movie and yet it's one of the top grossing (it actually used to be #1) movies of all time haha

Life's Wack
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 03:57 PM
😷

I never even watched Avatar.

A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
- Macbeth
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 03:58 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
I never even watched Avatar.
Lucky you. Someone bought me the DVD without asking me if I wanted it.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 04:21 PM
insert witty comment here

Gaming. I just don't get the appeal.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 05:33 PM
😷

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Gaming. I just don't get the appeal.
Interesting, I'm the opposite, I don't get the appeal of reality >_>

- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page