Going to book signing without having read book? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Going to book signing without having read book?

Would it be worthwhile to go to a book signing even if you haven't read the book and don't own it just to hear the author talk about it? I hear about a lot of book signings and the books sound interesting, but they don't say how much the author is going to talk about if it would even be worth going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Bon
Walking in the light

Re: Going to book signing without having read book?

Uhm, are you a fan of the author? if I didn't know who the author was, haven't read their writings I probably wouldn't go unless someone dragged me;-)

Now, if I had read one of their books in the past, found the writer very interesting, had heard good things about the book, i would probably go to the engagement, and buy the book while I was there. I would have to love the author, cause, I'm cheap and buy most of my books used;-)

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 02:24 PM

LoL. I wouldn't go to a book signing if I hadn't read the book.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
wooden hippie nice

I'd go along if I was remotely interested in the book/author, even if I hadn't read anything by them previously... don't see why you shouldn't, it's not as if you have to stay for the entire time if it turns out to be a major bore. If I had absolutely no interest in the book/author/genre then I probably wouldn't waste my time bothering to go just for the sake of it, though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
R.I.P. Do not contact.

Aren't book signings usually scheduled as promotion for the book anyway?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 PM

Buy the book and read some of it before going to the signing. I've done that.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM

I tend to go anyway *nerd*
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Oh I just wanted to mention the books I am into are non-fiction so that's why I asked. I wouldn't go to a fiction book signing without having read it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 AM
SAS Member

I was going to post the advice that you go, but I looked at the date of the OP and I'm thinking that this book signing may have already happened. If so, did you go?

Since this is a book signing and not English class (or a book club meeting), I wouldn't feel the need to have already read the book before going. Especially since this book is non-fiction (that's all I pretty much read anyway - I rarely read fiction these days).

Besides, it's a good way to get out of the house and be among people (and create a nice memory of meeting someone "significant").

I went to a spell of book signings many years ago - these signings are among the few times I've "rubbed elbows" with someone "famous". Here are a few I went to:

Christopher Darden ("In Contempt") - I had a big crush on Christopher around that time, which made me nervous about making eye contact. From out of the corner of my eye, way before it was my turn for him to sign my book - I think I saw him looking at me. (I'll just remember things that way, lol.) When it was finally my turn, I was almost in a daze - I was speaking to Christopher Darden! I remember him smiling at me...I wish I had really made stronger eye-contact with him. That moment meant a lot to me, and maybe to him as well.

Robert Shapiro (whatever post-O.J. book he had out) - I didn't buy a copy of his book, but I went to a lecture/book-signing he held at a local bookstore. He's an ******* - I had my hand raised because I wanted to ask him a question (he was taking questions), and he didn't acknowledge me.

E. Lynn Harris ("Just as I Am", "And This Too Shall Pass", etc.) - very personable. Great writer, great personality.

"Any time intelligent people make mistakes, they learn from them."

--What a "close friend" of Bill Belichick's said to Sports Illustrated in January 2000, referring to Belichick's first head-coaching job with the Cleveland Browns (which was marred by various troubles).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
SAS Member

There are going to be people who havent read the book their. It is not odd, strange or wierd. And like someone said above, usualy its a promo. I went to one a few years back and got to meet Brian Jacques. I bought the latest copy of his book, listened to his speech and had him sign my book for my dad's birthday. I would go if you are interested in it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCL XI
Aren't book signings usually scheduled as promotion for the book anyway?
yes. that is the whole idea. to get people in there to buy the book.

"charge the enemy! and remember you are from old virginia." george pickett. july 3, 1863.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page