Embarrassing songs and musicians you like - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:42 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
This song, I'd probably never listen to without headphones. The only reason I still listen to it is because it was the song that was on the radio when I was reading a letter from my first girlfriend like the first day we were going out. As I said before. The lyrics were not that important (never really have been my first consideration in music) but the music itself is very atmospheric and I tend to like that. It was kind of a dreamlike state of mind I was in because I couldn't believe anyone would date me. Much less a girl I really liked.

Anyway, yeah. Embarrassing that such an old, insignificant and sappy song still moves me and takes me back to this day. Weird. If anyone I know now knew I still listen to this song (and why) it would just be embarrassing.

(Needless to say it was a radio hit in 1988 so the visuals are superfluous)

/WYSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:14 AM
bipolar

Nothing like a nice bit of Wham.

post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:15 AM
bipolar

Or something from the 70's.

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
People think 'emo'-y stuff is embarrassing right? I saw AFI supporting Deftones a couple of years ago. I mostly like their earlier stuff (the art of drowning, black sails in the sunset,) but my friend bought this album when I was in highschool, and obviously Davey was fairly hot:

(this isn't working for me, I'm trying to trigger myself to be embarrassed but I think I've already posted the cringiest stuff like that diss track drama thing above in my previous post.)

I'm like (yes I am using this as an excuse to post this again):
I miss emo years too, when it was fashionable. I think even people who weren't actually part of this subculture and were just ''posers'', many of them, were finding in it something close to themselves (emotionally), unleashing some parts of themselves that they wouldn't otherwise cause stereotypically emo was about unleashing your emotions, mostly negative ones, and acting like a child person. Unless we're talking about girls who were following it very superficially, just the style and making these stupid selfies to look ''cute ^_^ *trademark*'' omg ><

I regret not being able to color my hair and make more brave hairstyles and wear more brave clothes. I didn't have any emo or ''alternative'' friends and therefore influences unfortunately so I would be doing it alone and it would look weird. Although I was wearing some strange clothes sometimes, but it wasn't that much of an emo style that's mostly black etc. But I was influenced by this too cause I was reading some magazines for teenagers.

I know there are people who still miss those years. In countries like mine many people often say ''I want my 2007th back'' among people my age and older.

I personally don't find MCR that embarrassing. I still listen to them too. They're not as embarrassing as Tokio Hotel or Avril Lavigne, for example. Especially Tokio Hotel. But something tells me those guys were booing Tokio Hotel not only cause they were posers and totally pop and bad music. They were also really confused so many girls were fangirling over them, especially the singer in makeup and stuff, who looks very ''feminine''. Mostly they were raging because masculinity is fragile. They couldn't deal with the guy wearing makeup, smokey eyes.

I still find embarrassing listening to all that super obvious pop stuff because back then people were making a big deal out of who's ''most true'' and who's a poser, when many bands were going just for the style cause it was popular and they were heavily produced and mainstream (but MCR fits this too). Like this one:

I feel embarrassed about this one cause it's for children, I assume. I can relate to this stuff to the song of this wicked witch lol

I think her voice suits this role more though and she sounds more ''wicked'' here:

Sorry not sorry
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:23 PM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
I miss emo years too, when it was fashionable. I think even people who weren't actually part of this subculture and were just ''posers'', many of them, were finding in it something close to themselves (emotionally), unleashing some parts of themselves that they wouldn't otherwise cause stereotypically emo was about unleashing your emotions, mostly negative ones, and acting like a child person. Unless we're talking about girls who were following it very superficially, just the style and making these stupid selfies to look ''cute ^_^ *trademark*'' omg ><

I regret not being able to color my hair and make more brave hairstyles and wear more brave clothes. I didn't have any emo or ''alternative'' friends and therefore influences unfortunately so I would be doing it alone and it would look weird. Although I was wearing some strange clothes sometimes, but it wasn't that much of an emo style that's mostly black etc. But I was influenced by this too cause I was reading some magazines for teenagers.

I know there are people who still miss those years. In countries like mine many people often say ''I want my 2007th back'' among people my age and older.

I personally don't find MCR that embarrassing. I still listen to them too. They're not as embarrassing as Tokio Hotel or Avril Lavigne, for example. Especially Tokio Hotel. But something tells me those guys were booing Tokio Hotel not only cause they were posers and totally pop and bad music. They were also really confused so many girls were fangirling over them, especially the singer in makeup and stuff, who looks very ''feminine''. Mostly they were raging because masculinity is fragile. They couldn't deal with the guy wearing makeup, smokey eyes.

I still find embarrassing listening to all that super obvious pop stuff because back then people were making a big deal out of who's ''most true'' and who's a poser, when many bands were going just for the style cause it was popular and they were heavily produced and mainstream (but MCR fits this too). Like this one:
I think I prefer the goth aesthetic and definitely musically (like Bauhaus, some Christian Death songs etc,) and some doom metal stuff to emo but all of those styles sort of merge together a bit as well into a kind of vague 'dark stuff' category. I still listen to MCR and they're one of the few from that style I listen to regularly. I liked a lot of pop-punk too.

I think it's common for groups or fanbases that gain a lot of female people/fans to slowly lose straight males at probably a proportional rate. I noticed that MCR started off with a lot of male fans (you can see in early concert footage,) but then became more of a female focussed fanbase as the years went on. Happens a lot you get a kind of exodus hahaha. It's usually when their aesthetic is more andro and they get a lot of women who are attracted to the guys in the band and sometimes that forces people to confront stuff that makes them uncomfortable, much like when they see certain fanart images created by women. They get a bit OCD. It's funny because the guy's in these bands are usually straight but whatever.

So by the end the only guys who stick around are usually bisexual (I would say gay too but there's some weird emo + bisexual connection in this case this YouTuber spoke about it in a video I watched recently as well lol. I think it was a more ambiguous subculture so attracted people who didn't fit into homonormativity or heteronormativity as well like with similar subcultures mentioned in the video.) Plus even this link I just found lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MyChemicalR...ere_more_male/

Though saying this, I do like MCR's first two albums more than their later work, but because they're more raw sounding I think. Also because I listened to them first and I tend to like stuff more in a nostalgic way then.

I dyed my hair lots of weird colours from 2010-2014 but after that I got fed up with maintaining it because it was a lot of work, and stopped being as fun. So then I started dying it black a few times and now it's back to dark brown (natural colour.)

I don't think I'd want to go back in time because I really hated highschool.

Also I like that song memories, I wasn't as big a fan of Within Temptation though but I also liked this song:

I think I preferred Evanescence (Sort of similar,) because I liked her voice more, although they were more popular but that didn't bother me. A bit less musically complex too though (especially first album.)

I think symphonic/gothic sort of metal was pretty popular back then in Europe because of Nightwish.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:16 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Speaking of Christmas music...

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:27 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
Speaking of Christmas music...

Very nice mate - but personally I don't think it's quite up to the standard of the Wham boys.
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I think I prefer the goth aesthetic and definitely musically (like Bauhaus, some Christian Death songs etc,) and some doom metal stuff to emo but all of those styles sort of merge together a bit as well into a kind of vague 'dark stuff' category. I still listen to MCR and they're one of the few from that style I listen to regularly. I liked a lot of pop-punk too.

I think it's common for groups or fanbases that gain a lot of female people/fans to slowly lose straight males at probably a proportional rate. I noticed that MCR started off with a lot of male fans (you can see in early concert footage,) but then became more of a female focussed fanbase as the years went on. Happens a lot you get a kind of exodus hahaha. It's usually when their aesthetic is more andro and they get a lot of women who are attracted to the guys in the band and sometimes that forces people to confront stuff that makes them uncomfortable, much like when they see certain fanart images created by women. They get a bit OCD. It's funny because the guy's in these bands are usually straight but whatever.

So by the end the only guys who stick around are usually bisexual (I would say gay too but there's some weird emo + bisexual connection in this case this YouTuber spoke about it in a video I watched recently as well lol. I think it was a more ambiguous subculture so attracted people who didn't fit into homonormativity or heteronormativity as well like with similar subcultures mentioned in the video.) Plus even this link I just found lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MyChemicalR...ere_more_male/

Though saying this, I do like MCR's first two albums more than their later work, but because they're more raw sounding I think. Also because I listened to them first and I tend to like stuff more in a nostalgic way then.

I dyed my hair lots of weird colours from 2010-2014 but after that I got fed up with maintaining it because it was a lot of work, and stopped being as fun. So then I started dying it black a few times and now it's back to dark brown (natural colour.)

I don't think I'd want to go back in time because I really hated highschool.

Also I like that song memories, I wasn't as big a fan of Within Temptation though but I also liked this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifTjdKrTPw

I think I preferred Evanescence (Sort of similar,) because I liked her voice more, although they were more popular but that didn't bother me. A bit less musically complex too though (especially first album.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBYhQnjyrWo

I think symphonic/gothic sort of metal was pretty popular back then in Europe because of Nightwish.
I'm not that attached to goth subculture only because it emerged and kind of faded away when I was too young to be involved in it. When emo was the thing it was my early teens so I remember more. We did have one ''goth wanna be slash metallers slash alternative slash emo'' company around and I fell for a goth-metaller wannabe guy. Although goth culture is so much more sophisticated and mature than emo one. I'm digging the aesthetics and poetry of that a lot.

Emo was a different thing though. As far as I know, it was about unleashing your emotions and I remember everyone trying to be emo at least to some degree. It was because of fashion, but at least it's better than what people are usually taught which is to ''grow up'' (despite not being emotionally mature and if you're not emotionally mature you can only fake this growing up process and become inauthentic), to suppress everything and to pretend everything's ok even though it's not. I remember lots of suicide talks on the internet and in general, suicidal songs. And then the state TV programs where they were telling ''emo is corrupting our children, it's because of the genocide of our people by America. We should officially forbid it.'' I remember different parents and teachers saying the same stuff and acting accordingly, like kids who are this way are the danger and ''the evil'' itself, like they're spreading the disease. As if the problems weren't in the family and these kids' lives. As if someone can kill themselves or even have suicide thoughts just because of ''fashion''. This is why I like it for personal reason and for what I personally see in it.

I miss subcultures. Although wait now being a ''leftist'' is the same or if you don't agree then backlashing against that is sort of a subculture too (even though it's actually about being a conformist which is anti-subculture) . Still, as someone says, the capitalist machine is absorbing everything so now punk, gothic and hippie stuff are part of it and people can wear the clothes just for the sake of fashion. And it can go into high fashion too even though, for example, punk subculture in its nature was the opposite of that stuff. But subcultures are not only about music and clothing, they were about certain way of living and certain philosophy. I mean back when I was a teenager those things were commercialized too and they weren't that authentic, but it was still better and at least there was something behind it even if it was a little bit or maybe I'm just biased because it was the time when I was a teenager.

I wasn't that much into Within Temptation or Evanescence, but just liked some of their songs and was listening to them. I don't remember the Within Temptation song you posted, it's nice. But it kind of ''triggered'' me if that's the right world. Although it's something I'm already remembering and reliving because I was suppressing that before but it was still there so it's better to relive it in therapy to actually move past it and not to deny it. Sorry for venting to you about personal stuff cause it's inappropriate, but to be fair I'm doing that on this site in general because I can't handle that alone, it's too much for me. Appologies because you didn't ask for that at all.

Anyway, here's another song I like of them. It's the performance I like, the duet, not the song itself. This Anneke singer has interesting songs btw. Don't know if you know her.

It's not something I would listen for anything other than nostalgia and remembering things from my past though.

I like Nightwish too, especially when they had that classic vocal lady that made them famous:

Yeah, I remember how some people from that same alternative and metalist company I was talking about were having a band that was completely copying the style of Nightwish, in our small town. They were awful though.

I don't know from which album were MCR songs I was listening to, but I should definitely check these first albums out. I like how you described them.

I wanted to dye them either red or purple or black like an emo or multiple colors back then, but I didn't have a style so it would be hard for me to figure out what to wear with that and I was already teased at school so I didn't want to attract even more attention to myself. The attention was all over the top already. Plus I was thinking there was no point in that since I'm ugly and that only normal or beautiful-looking girls could do that. Only now when it's not happening anymore I'm thinking I should have expressed myself better but that just couldn't happen in reality. I also partly didn't like the hairdying process as well as makeup because I didn't like how it felt and it even felt too much, like some body integrity interrogation. I had an uneven haircut, but it was not as radical as emo ones. I also had a parting that was far behind the middle of my head and it was closing one of my eyes all the time, but I didn't mind that. But it did look super weird. And yeah the maintaining part is also the downside.

Ok, that's enough, I should stop talking that much. Sorry.

Sorry not sorry
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:04 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
I have to confess ATC ‘Around the World ‘ is a guilty pleasure of mine. Along with Eiffel 65 ‘Blue (da ba dee). Reminds me of happier times with no responsibilities &#x1f61b;
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page