Billie Eilish vs Van Halen - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

Question

Billie Eilish vs Van Halen

I've don't think I've heard a Billie Eilish song yet. Maybe I've seen her on SNL. But I'm definitely a huge fan of Van Halen. I guess its not fair to expect kids to know what heavy metal or classic rock music is about. It seems that pop, hip hop and country are what kids think is music these days. Oh well their loss.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Una imposibilidad yestoqu

Language: Luuvvvv
Sounds like she and Van Halen both got what it takes, so why can't we just let them beeee loved. Pop can be such fluff these days but I like her singing style. Pop is known for one hits. She's got a few. Do kids know led zeppelin and Metallica. Meaning the most recent gen of kids. I worry they don't get enough metal in their diets:/
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:33 PM
SAS Member

Van Halen's 1984 was 35 years ago, 35 years before that was 1949. I don't think that many 80s teenagers would be into 40s music or know of artists of that period. Except for maybe Frank Sinatra or Glen Miller. Van Halen was way past their heyday by the time she was born. Strange controversy.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
35 more years will be 2054 & we'll be listening to Britney Spears on our gramophones saying music was better in our day <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/wife.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:38 PM
SAS Member

I like some of her songs.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:45 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I saw someone mention that on Twitter, I share their sentiment of who cares? Why should she know them? Her music is OK, bit boring at times, but better than a lot of current pop music so I can see why people like her in that sense. I like this video because of the spiders:

Her music doesn't seem particularly inspired by the 70s, it would be weirder if this band said they hadn't heard of Black Sabbath because:

Quote:
When iggy pop and courtney love has a love child that's adopted by marilyn Manson.
Yeah I guess that works.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
Van Halen reeks of Americana to me. Definitely dated by now.

Some artists can be put in a time capsule and feel relevant decades later. I don't think Van Halen is one of them, lol.

Don't know much about Eilish, though.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Changeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I saw someone mention that on Twitter, I share their sentiment of who cares? Why should she know them? Her music is OK, bit boring at times, but better than a lot of current pop music so I can see why people like her in that sense. I like this video because of the spiders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah0Ys50CqO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBRi6aZJGj4

Her music doesn't seem particularly inspired by the 70s, it would be weirder if this band said they hadn't heard of Black Sabbath because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yTYlKPdS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzlySJJJQQ

Yeah I guess that works.
lol, I've actually been enjoying Starcrawler recently. Eilish not so much.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesker View Post
lol, I've actually been enjoying Starcrawler recently. Eilish not so much.
Yeah they're not bad. I've listened to a few of their songs after getting recommended Bet My Brains by YouTube.

But while we're 'my generationing' Tbh Van Halen is a bit cringe to me (at least what I've heard,) since it's so upbeat and energetic without a sense of irony, stuff like Jump. Have to be in a particular mood to listen to upbeat stuff and I grew up mostly on a combination of 90s alt rock and prog rock that my dad listened to, plus stuff I listened to which was 90s/2000s rock/metal music, then branched out later to various other stuff and some 80s music like The Cure.

I also grew up in the 90s/2000s which was like in between sadboy 2010s, and overdosing on irony leftover from generation x with cartoons like Daria (on that note irony is dead we killed like punk before it.) So it was like:

This one is from the pov of a prostitute:

Frenetic passive aggressive happy-anger, left over dead-inside post-Nirvana post-grunge Nirvana sound-alikes, indie pop-rock, and watered down post-hardcore/emo with some dark-cabaret aesthetics sprinkled around (Dresdon Dolls, Emilie Autumn, Panic At The Disco.) Pop Punk/skate punk seemed like the most happy/hopeful genre to me at the time. And the early 2000 music was very political as well. My Chemical Romance was basically formed as a therapy project for the lead singer who witnessed 9/11 first hand lol so and several of those 90s/2000s alt rock figures have committed suicide by this point.

And you know Marilyn Manson was doing some kind of critique of Ziggy Stardust before he faded into the background at some point a bit before the 2000s pop punk thing. That and other stuff bled into some stuff like The Birthday Massacre I guess, but Jack off Jill released their last album in 2000 and Holy Wood was released in 2000, so that aesthetic/creative group were more centred in the 90s.

In hindsight I am a bit bummed that 'emo' wasn't more like:

because that combination of things was some good ****. Instead of (or you know Funeral for a Friend above etc that kind of thing,):

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:56 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Is Billie Eilish one of them "Pretty People.....with Problems"?

I heard that girlz - teenies and tweenies - are going all out for a $225 pair of Chuck Taylors with her face painted on them.

I am like "Good Lord, one puddle and it's all over!" There is NO WAY I would buy them for my daughter if I had one!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Changeless

Quote:
Yeah they're not bad. I've listened to a few of their songs after getting recommended Bet My Brains by YouTube.

But while we're 'my generationing' Tbh Van Halen is a bit cringe to me (at least what I've heard,) since it's so upbeat and energetic without a sense of irony, stuff like Jump. Have to be in a particular mood to listen to upbeat stuff and I grew up mostly on a combination of 90s alt rock and prog rock that my dad listened to, plus stuff I listened to which was 90s/2000s rock/metal music, then branched out later to various other stuff and some 80s music like The Cure.

I also grew up in the 90s/2000s which was like in between sadboy 2010s, and overdosing on irony leftover from generation x with cartoons like Daria (on that note irony is dead we killed like punk before it.) So it was like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1OqtIqzScI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeTOS2VBVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsaamq0E964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz1ca1-_-MY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIADZKU9dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugaQQB8LmKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kMZ23T9VHE

This one is from the pov of a prostitute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4fkwksdbPY

Frenetic passive aggressive happy-anger, left over dead-inside post-Nirvana post-grunge Nirvana sound-alikes, indie pop-rock, and watered down post-hardcore/emo with some dark-cabaret aesthetics sprinkled around (Dresdon Dolls, Emilie Autumn, Panic At The Disco.) Pop Punk/skate punk seemed like the most happy/hopeful genre to me at the time. And the early 2000 music was very political as well. My Chemical Romance was basically formed as a therapy project for the lead singer who witnessed 9/11 first hand lol so and several of those 90s/2000s alt rock figures have committed suicide by this point.

And you know Marilyn Manson was doing some kind of critique of Ziggy Stardust before he faded into the background at some point a bit before the 2000s pop punk thing. That and other stuff bled into some stuff like The Birthday Massacre I guess, but Jack off Jill released their last album in 2000 and Holy Wood was released in 2000, so that aesthetic/creative group were more centred in the 90s.

In hindsight I am a bit bummed that 'emo' wasn't more like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAFTnvzHrsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMsmnyLGJBA

because that combination of things was some good ****. Instead of (or you know Funeral for a Friend above etc that kind of thing,):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ux6SlOE9Qk
I've always kind of hated Van Halen. I think I might have liked them a bit when I was a teen but they got boring and schlocky really fast. Will check out the vids.

Also, anything beyond Van Halen's first album was pretty bad.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

@kesker

Oh sorry by the way I wanted there to be more of a separation between that post and me quoting you I should have started a new post really since it's not relevant to your post but was just thinking on the thread vibe of 'music was better in the past.' I actually don't think the emotional tone of music has changed much from when I was younger to now because I think society has been stuck in something of a hangover since the late 80s/early 90s. It's not a coincidence that most teenagers now can relate and identify fully with the music of Nirvana despite it being before their time, and probably even post-punk, but can't connect to bands like Van Halen or in this case know who they are.

The inability to create new forms is so extreme now that people just slow down music that fits that hangover style:

And when I listen to Billie Eilish I get a similar vibe.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
I thought a lot more kids than ever listen to rock and alternative music now.

I like a few of Van Halen's stuff and Billie Eilish is really talented. Her voice has a classic feel to it in some of her songs. I'm not a huge fan of her music but it's good.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

Eddie Van Halen also played guitar on Michael Jackson's Beat It song, do the kids know who that is?

Just like Stevie Ray Vaughan played guitar on David Bowie's Let's Dance album

All this music is freely available on spotify and youtube so kids really have no excuse for being so ignorant these days, back in my days we joined Columbia House and bought a wide selection of pop, rock, jazz, classical, reggae, r&b, etc. One of these days I'll unbox all of that collected vinyl

from wikipedia

Quote:
Eddie Van Halen's guitar solo

Eddie Van Halen, lead guitarist of hard rock band Van Halen, was asked to add a guitar solo.[12][21] When initially contacted by Jones, Van Halen thought he was receiving a prank call.[22] Having established that the call was genuine, Van Halen used a Hartley-Thompson amplifier borrowed from guitarist Allan Holdsworth[23] and recorded his guitar solo free of any charge. "I did it as a favor", the musician later said. "I was a complete fool, according to the rest of the band, our manager and everyone else. I was not used. I knew what I was doing – I don't do something unless I want to do it."[5] Van Halen recorded his contribution following Jones and Jackson arriving at the guitarist's house with a "skeleton version" of the song. Fellow guitarist Steve Lukather recalled, "Initially, we rocked it out as Eddie had played a good solo—but Quincy thought it was too tough. So I had to reduce the distorted guitar sound and that is what was released."[5] Two versions of the solo were recorded.[22]

Right before Van Halen's guitar solo begins, a noise is heard that sounds like somebody knocking at a door. It is reported that the knock was a person walking into Eddie's recording studio. Another story has claimed that the sound was simply the musician knocking on his own guitar.[24] The sound, however, is that of Jackson knocking on a drum case, as he is credited in the album's liner notes.

The engineers were shocked during the recording of Van Halen's solo to discover that the sound of his guitar had caused the monitor speaker in the control room to catch fire, causing one to exclaim, "This must be really good!"

all hate and money
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

@sabbath9

Quote:
All this music is freely available on spotify and youtube so kids really have no excuse for being so ignorant these days, back in my days we joined Columbia House and bought a wide selection of pop, rock, jazz, classical, reggae, r&b, etc. One of these days I'll unbox all of that collected vinyl
Have you listened to every song on spotify and YouTube?

Have you listened to this?

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

Quote:
@sabbath9

Have you listened to every song on spotify and YouTube?

Have you listened to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VDIbDKjQs

I don't waste my time on unknown artists. Instead I'd rather listen to Van Halen albums I haven't heard yet, like whatever they've put out since For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

The Dream is Over, in my humble opinion, is about how Reaganomics has destroyed the American Dream and in turn has destroyed the planet.

Quote:
Van Halen Lyrics

"The Dream Is Over"

Psst, hey, come on man, wake up.
Oh, yeah, yeah!
I see the power,
Changin hands
Risin from the streets
A self made businessman,
Knows how the system can be beat.
Oh, we're the lost generation,
Have no place to go,
The road to destruction,
Is all we need to know,
Cause it's a rip off,
We're stripped, drawn, and cheated,
We're flat stone cold lied to
But we're not defeated, Nooo, sir
Easy money,
It's your way out,
Join the Family
No middleman,
No I.R.S.
Your ticket out of poverty
Oh, we're the lost generation,
I hold fate from a string
Lookin for direction
Reachin' out for anything, so
Dream another dream
This dream is over, (oooh oooh oh)
Dream another dream
This dream is over, (dream another dream)
Dream another dream
This dream is over, (oooh) over yeah, (dream another dream)
So dream another dream

[Solo]

Ah, Yeow!!!!
Oh, it's a rip off,
We're stepped on an' cheated,
Flat stone cold lied to,
We're not defeated, noooo,
Dream another dream, this dream is over, (oooh oooh oh)
Dream another dream, this dream is over, (dream another dream)
Dream another dream, this dream is over, (oooh oooh oh) oh
Dream another dream, this dream is over, over yeah, (dream another dream)
Dream another dream, (ooh ooh ooh)
Dream another dream, (dream another dream, oooh ooh ooh)
Dream another dream, oh, this dream's all over (dream another dream)
Dream another dream, (dream another dream)
Dream another dream...

some of my favorites:

AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Alarm, Alice in Chains, Allman Brothers Band, America, Animals, Adam Ant, Anthrax, Louis Armstrong, Asia,

Bach, BTO, Bad Company, The Band, Bangles, Gato Barbieri, Bay City Rollers, Beach Boys, Beastie Boys, Beatles, Beck, Jeff Beck, The Bee Gees, Beethoven, Pat Benatar, George Benson, Berlin, Chuck Berry, B-52's, Bjork, Black Crowes, Blackfoot, Black Sabbath, Blind Melon, Blue Oyster Cult, Blues Brothers, Blues Traveler, Blondie, Blood Sweat & Tears, Bon Jovi, Boston, David Bowie, Bread, Breeders, James Brown, Dave Brubeck, Jimmy Buffett, Bush,

Cake, Canned Heat, Carpenters, Cars, Johnny Cash, Tracy Chapman, Ray Charles, Chubby Checker, Chicago, Cheap Trick, Cheech & Chong, Cher, Chic, Eric Clapton, Clash, Jimmy Cliff, Patsy Cline, Coasters, Joe Cocker, Nat King Cole, Collective Soul, Phil Collins, John Coltrane, Commodores, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello, The Cranberries, Cracker, Robert Cray, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jim Croce, CSNY, Christopher Cross, The Cult, Culture Club, The Cure, Cyprus Hill,

Dick Dale, Charlie Daniels, Danzig, Miles Davis, Dee-Lite, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, John Denver, Depeche Mode, Devo, Neil Diamond, Bo Diddley, Dio, Donovan, Doors, Doobie Brothers, Disturbed, Dire Straits, Thomas Dolby, Fats Domino, Duran Duran, Bob Dylan,

Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, ELO, Duke Ellington, ELP, Eminem, David Essex, Eurythmics,

Fabulous Thunderbirds, Faith No More, Jose Feliciano, Fifth Dimension, Ella Fitzgerald, The Fixx, Fleetwood Mac, Flock of Seagulls, Foghat, Foo Fighters, Foreigner, 4 Non Blondes, Peter Frampton, Aretha Franklin, Glenn Frey,

Peter Gabriel, Garbage, Marvin Gaye, Gloria Gaynor, J. Geils Band, Genesis, Godsmack, Go-Go's, Golden Earring, Grand Funk, Grateful Dead, Al Green, Green Day, Guess Who, Guns N Roses,

Sammy Hagar, Hall & Oates, Lionel Hampton, Herbie Hancock, George Harrison, Hawkwind, Heart, Helmet, Jimi Hendrix, Don Henley, Al Hirt, Billie Holiday, Buddy Holly, John Lee Hooker,

Billy Idol, INXS, Iron Maiden, Chris Isaak,

Joe Jackson, Michael Jackson, Rick James, Jane's Addiction, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Joan Jett, Billy Joel, Elton John, Grace Jones, Tom Jones, Janis Joplin, Journey, Judas Priest,

Kansas, KC and the Sunshine Band, Kiss, BB King, King Crimson, Kinks, Kool & the Gang, Korn, Kraftwerk, Lenny Kravitz, Gene Krupa,

Cyndi Lauper, Led Zeppelin, Peggy Lee, John Lennon, Huey Lewis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Little Richard, Live, Living Colour, Kenny Loggins, Los Lobos, Loverboy, Lynyrd Skynyrd,

Madness, Mamas and the Papas, Henry Mancini, Barry Manilow, Marilyn Manson, Bob Marley, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis, Dave Matthews Band, Paul McCartney, MC Hammer, Meat Loaf, Megadeth, Men at Work, Metallica, George Michael, Midnight Oil, Glenn Miller, Jacob Miller, Steve Miller Band, Missing Persons, Eddie Money, Thelonious Monk, Molly Hatchet, The Monkees, Moody Blues, Alanis Morrisette, Van Morrison, Motels, Motley Crue, Motorhead, Mountain, Mozart,

Nazareth, Willie Nelson, Randy Newman, Olivia Newton-John, Night Ranger, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, No Doubt, Ted Nugent,

Offspring, O'Jays, Roy Orbison, Tony Orlando, Outlaws, Ozzy Osbourne,

Jimmy Page, Pantera, Robert Palmer, Parliament, Charlie Parker, Alan Parsons Project, Dolly Parton, Pearl Jam, Pet Shop Boys, Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Robert Plant, Pointer Sisters, Police, PUSA, Elvis Presley, The Pretenders, Louis Prima, Primus, Prince, Procol Harum,

Queen, Queensryche, Quiet Riot,

Rage Against the Machine, Rainbow, Bonnie Raitt, Rammstein, Ramones, Rare Earth, Otis Redding, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, REO Speedwagon, Smokey Robinson, Rolling Stones, Romantics, Linda Ronstadt, Diana Ross, Runaways, Run DMC, Rush,

Sade, Sam & Dave, Santana, Joe Satriani, Boz Scaggs, Scorpions, Seals & Crofts, Bob Seger, Sepultura, Sex Pistols, Shaggy, Simon & Garfunkel, Carly Simon, Paul Simon, Frank Sinatra, Slade, Slayer, Smashing Pumpkins, Snoop Dogg, Soundgarden, Spin Doctors, Spinners, Spirit, Dusty Springfield, Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, Steely Dan, Steppenwolf, Cat Stevens, Rod Stewart, Sting, Sly & The Family Stone, Stone Temple Pilots, Stray Cats, Barbra Streisand, Styx, Sublime, Suicidal Tendencies, Donna Summer, Supertramp, Supremes, Sweet, System of a Down,

Talking Heads, Tchaikovsky, Temptations, Ten Years After, Tesla, Thin Lizzy, .38 Special, George Thorogood, Three Dog Night, Toadies, Tool, Peter Tosh, Traffic, Pat Travers, Traveling Wilburys, Triumph, Robin Trower, Tina Turner, Twisted Sister,

UB40, U2, Ugly Kid Joe, Uriah Heep,

Frankie Valli, Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Vivaldi, Volbeat,

Joe Walsh, Wang Chung, Wagner, War, Muddy Waters, Wham, Barry White, Whitesnake, White Zombie, The Who, John Williams, Edgar Winter, Stevie Wonder,

Yardbirds, Yes, Neil Young,

Frank Zappa, Zebra, Zombies, ZZ Top

all hate and money
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Pfff I don't waste my time on anything without dinosaurs & flutes.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

One of the first Van Halen concerts that I've attended was them opening for The Rolling Stones' Tattoo You tour in Orlando, FL 1981.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ro...ican_Tour_1981

all hate and money
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
Pandora’s Birthright

My Mood: Pensive
So...OP, you like Van Halen. Why not make an “I like Van Halen” thread? Why put down an artist you’re entirely unfamiliar with?

If you did it for clicks, I guess it worked. I entered this thread because of Eilish.

Edit: A strange controversy indeed.

Some people will always need help. That doesn’t mean they’re not worth helping
– Meera Reed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page