Any updates on the writers' strike? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Any updates on the writers' strike?

I haven't heard anything about the writers' strike in a while, and I hope they resolve this strike soon. It's going to be a winter of discontent for me -- with no new 24 or other shows due to the strike, and a lot of game shows and reality shows, neither of which I'm a big fan of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:11 AM
SAS Member

Re: Any updates on the writers' strike?

It looks like the broader negotiations are still deadlocked on the issue of revenue-sharing of internet-delivered video. There are indications that the writers guild is willing to negotiate with the individual member studios of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. I know Letterman is looking into this right now.

You're exactly right though... if the strike doesn't end soon, we can look forward to lots of re-runs and reality TV come January. I might have to upgrade my Netflix subscription

Speaking of 24, Kiefer Sutherland is serving his DUI sentence in one chunk now--he was going to try to get it split so he could work on production of 24, but that ain't happening now.

-Ryan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 AM
insert witty comment here

Over here we have now had the last episode of Ugly Betty until whenever the strike is over.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I've heard at this point, there may be no new episodes of 24 until the fall. They have 8 episodes filmed, but they don't want to air them and have 2/3s of the "day" not filmed or in the process of being filmed. Major bummer.

I've already noticed how they're rushing game shows out. Some lie detector show on Fox, and a Millionaire/World Series of Poker hybrid called Duel (or something like that) with ESPN's Mike Greenberg as the host. NBC brings back American Gladiators in January with Hulk Hogan and Layla Ali as hosts.

It's only going to get worse, but more power to the writers -- the least appreciated component of the Hollywood entertainment machine.

A friend of mine who's a musician out in L.A. is in town for the holidays, and I asked him how bad it is there right now with the strike, and he verified that things are getting bad. All of the people who work in the industry who aren't on strike but can't work with production shut down are really hurting. That being said, the writers are still on the right side of this fight.

Hopefully, a compromise will be reached soon.

Brian
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Poorly Educated

I saw a commercial on ABC tonight for season four of Lost which is still scheduled to start the last week of January. I don't know how many episodes will air before they run out of material though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyguy
I don't know how many episodes will air before they run out of material though.
I think I heard they're doing 8.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:06 PM
SAS Member

I really hope this strike ends soon. I mean it has yet to affect me, like ESPN still runs.

But regarding LOST, from what I’ve heard they have already created eight episodes and they still plan on airing those at the scheduled time. There might be a delay in between that and the other remaining episodes all depending on whenever the strike ends. But I also hear that ABC or the creaters or whomever woud rather air all 16 episodes consecutively in the fall or even in 09!!!!!

But I saw that on the commercial to so hopefully that is not the case.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Pushing Daisies just ran out of episodes last week. The Office has been out of episodes for almost a month. Those are about the only two shows I watch. Conan, Leno, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are coming back soon even without the writers, dont know how that would work though.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I can see how Conan and Leno could come back, but Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are more scripted.

Letterman's production company is negotiating with the WGA separately in order to try and reach a resolution.

Brian
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm starting to get bummed, as next week was originally supposed to be the season premiere of "24," and the trailer they released right before the start of the strike looked REALLY cool, but the season is on indefinite hold for now due to the strike. I saw a commercial for the Sarah Connors/Terminator show that will be taking 24's spot on the schedule for the time being, and I'm bummed, especially since I have no interest in that show as well.

Brian
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Spectacular Member

Leno actually has to write his own monologue for once lol

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page