Any good movies about SAD/anxiety disorder/ OCD? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Any good movies about SAD/anxiety disorder/ OCD?

I've heard of one or two, but I forgot their names.
Most are independent films, because social anxiety/anxiety disorders are not that much in the open. I've seen films about other mental disorders like schizophrenia, agoraphobia and ocd, but what about Anxiety disorder/sad? Anyone know of any good ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM
SAS Member

Well, I plan to write my thesis project (I'm a film student) about a girl with SAD. Very loosely based on my own experiences. So with any luck, there will be at least one more good movie about it a few years from now! But probably not.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Rat in a cage

I'm not 100% if this fits into what you're looking for, but the two movies that came to my head were "Girl Interrupted" and "Speak". I just watched "Speak" a few weeks ago, it has Kristen Stewart in it... from Twilight. She actually does a really good job at playing the role of a selective mute girl. It reminded me a lot of me in high school, though I don't think it revolves around SA in particular much.

Girl Interrupted is one of my all time favorite movies. It's sort of hard to explain what it is, but it does revolve around some disorders. Angelina Jolie is in it too. Check them out on IMBD;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378793/ - Speak
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0172493/ - Girl interrupted

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Powering through.

It's arguable that Adam Sandler's character in Punch-Drunk Love suffers from social anxiety disorder, or something similar. Definitely nervous around people and easily flustered, sweaty. Rarely takes initiative (never dated). Goes to great lengths to avoid criticism, always wanting his conversations to be confidential etc. Pacing on the phone.

But its eccentric romantic comedy, not a drama so don't expect a straight depiction.

I'm a demon,
If demons are mediocre.
I'm a bagel.
And that bagel is stale,
So pass the cottage cheese.
I'm a rock climber.
If rocks are gentle slopes.
Chicken nuggets reside inside
of me.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Quo

Mary and Max - About two penpals. Max is an overeating New Yorker with Asperger's while Mary is an Aussie girl who seems to have a problem with SA and an alcoholic mother. One of the funniest and saddest movies I can think of.

Most Woody Allen movies with Woody Allen in them -- Annie Hall, Love and Death, Manhattan, Play it Again Sam, Hannah and Her Sisters.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Jim Carrey's character exhibits very SA-like traits.

Harold and Maude - About a relationship between the anxious/depressive teen Harold and the free spirited octogenerian Maude.

Ghost World - The female lead Enid has trouble fitting in during post-high school life and Steve Buscemi's character is reclusive record collector.

A few horror movies actually center around characters who seem to have SA that causes them isolate themselves, which is the root of the horror elements.

Roman Polanski's first two films, Repulsion and The Tenant. The leads in both are driven insane by isolation.

Carnival of Souls. Hard to find B movie, but well made. The lead is a shrinking violet similar to the one in Repulsion.

"They had to laugh, otherwise it would be too terrifying." -Bukowski
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Aspergian

Amelie - The title character (the bashful and impish Audrey Tautou) is a single waitress who decides to help other lonely people fix their lives. Her widowed father yearns to travel but won't, so to inspire the old man she sends his garden gnome on a tour of the world; with whispered gossip, she brings together two cranky regulars at her cafť; she reverses the doorknobs and reprograms the speed dial of a grocer who's mean to his assistant. Gradually she realizes her own life needs fixing, and a chance meeting leads to her most elaborate stratagem of all.

He Was a Quiet Man - Bob Maconel (Christian Slater) endures another eight hours in a dull grey cubicle. Ignored by his co-workers, Bob feels completely invisible and out of sync with the world. On one strange day he crosses the line from potential killer to inadvertent hero when he saves beautiful Venessa (Elisha Cuthbert).

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 AM
SAS Member

Dummy - It has Adrien Brody in it, his character has some social anxiety like qualities and its a cute/quirky indie movie.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:57 PM
SAS Member

Red face

Have you seen "Dirty Filthy Love"? its about a man (michael sheen) who has ocd and turrets, and shirley henderson is in it too.
Also "Pheobe in Wonderland" is about a little girl with ocd turrets. both really good movies
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Permanently Banned

as good as it gets with jack nicholson
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 04:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillianne View Post
"Dirty Filthy Love"
I saw that earlier this year. Brilliant film.

Anybody with a Love Film subscription can watch this film for free online - in the UK at least.

Another great film dealing with a character apparently suffering from various mental health issues, possibly schizophrenia or OCD is Keane starring Damian Lewis.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 04:26 PM
In orbit, always

My Mood: Sleepy
Someone on this board recommended to me "Mozart and the Whale", which is an autism/asperger's love story.

"Your solution is both fair and democratic ... and I want no part of it."
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
TWILIGHT!! no, just kidding (watching this movie actually makes my SA worse)

Anyway, joking aside, Bubble Boy is the only one I can think of because the was raised all his life by his mom inside the bubble and has to overcome a lot of obstacles (some involving SA) to keep the girl he loves from getting married.

Also, practically any movie with Michael Cera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belshazzar
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Jim Carrey's character exhibits very SA-like traits.
yeah, this too.

I am a believer the the Twelve-step Program.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Damaged Goods

The Quiet. Not really SA-related movie but the main character seems to have similar trait to SA people.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm a well-wisher..

Lars and the Real Girl.

"You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:54 AM
SAS Member

Martin Scorsese's The Aviator with Leo DiCaprio.

It'll make your OCD issues seem like small potatoes in comparison.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Diffident

Last night I found a lovely little gem called "Phoebe in Wonderland", it's a great movie about a young girl (played by Dakota Fanning's younger sister) who suffers from a sort of tourette syndrome and also severe O.C.D. She joins a school play that leads to all sorts of small subplots.

I'm not anxious, I'm hopeful. One day I'll meet someone who finds crippling insecurities and social ineptitude simply lovely =).

I've created a website along with a fellow SAS member on Introverts, Solitude and feeling Disconnected from the people around you.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 PM
...and drowning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRob View Post
Someone on this board recommended to me "Mozart and the Whale", which is an autism/asperger's love story.
I love this movie. I would also add Winter Passing to the list even though it's not really about someone with SA. I really liked it though because the main character(Zooey Deschanel) is kind of a loner in the movie. And its a bit of a depressing movie with some uplifting bits which always seems to distract me from my own thoughts.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Licker View Post
Amelie - The title character (the bashful and impish Audrey Tautou) is a single waitress who decides to help other lonely people fix their lives. Her widowed father yearns to travel but won't, so to inspire the old man she sends his garden gnome on a tour of the world; with whispered gossip, she brings together two cranky regulars at her cafť; she reverses the doorknobs and reprograms the speed dial of a grocer who's mean to his assistant. Gradually she realizes her own life needs fixing, and a chance meeting leads to her most elaborate stratagem of all.

He Was a Quiet Man - Bob Maconel (Christian Slater) endures another eight hours in a dull grey cubicle. Ignored by his co-workers, Bob feels completely invisible and out of sync with the world. On one strange day he crosses the line from potential killer to inadvertent hero when he saves beautiful Venessa (Elisha Cuthbert).
I just saw he was a quiet man a few months ago. Interesting movie.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinahx View Post
I'm not 100% if this fits into what you're looking for, but the two movies that came to my head were "Girl Interrupted" and "Speak". I just watched "Speak" a few weeks ago, it has Kristen Stewart in it... from Twilight. She actually does a really good job at playing the role of a selective mute girl. It reminded me a lot of me in high school, though I don't think it revolves around SA in particular much.

Girl Interrupted is one of my all time favorite movies. It's sort of hard to explain what it is, but it does revolve around some disorders. Angelina Jolie is in it too. Check them out on IMBD;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378793/ - Speak
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0172493/ - Girl interrupted
i just watched speak a few weeks ago too because it was on TV and kristien stewart's character is a popular, normal girl. she only stopped speaking because she got raped. girl interrupted isn't about SA either, but it's a lot more entertaining than speak.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 AM
SAS Member

The British comedy series, Spaced, isn't a movie, but one of the major characters, Brian, has social anxiety and depression. It's very funny and kinda sad at the same time. They all sold themselves short. A sanitized version was on hulu a while ago. I don't know if it still is or not. It's by the guys who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Gazziza, My Dilsnuphus!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page