NHL Playoffs 2020 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
Cool

NHL Playoffs 2020

I don't know if anyone else here cares about hockey, but I thought we should have an NHL Playoffs thread for this year, especially given how unusual the situation is this year, with all teams playing in the hub cities of Toronto and Edmonton due to The Plague.

Anyway, please proceed to utter words on the topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

I admit, most of the reason I made this thread is so that I would have some place to dump all my emotions. Emotions are plentiful when you're a Leafs fan, mostly negative, dark emotions. But today they came back from a 3-0 deficit against the Columbus Blue Jackets with less than 5 minutes to go, and then won in overtime, tying the series 2-2 and avoiding being eliminated, which had seemed like a sure thing. This is a day after they blew a 3-0 lead to the Jackets, inspiring rage and evoking traumatic memories of 2013. But today, I am absolutely ecstatic. I can't believe some dramatic good fortune actually favoured the Leafs this time. Man I'm so amped up I'm gonna have trouble sleeping. The range of emotions I've been through in the last 24 hours is crazy. Amazing effort today.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 10:49 PM
SAS Member

I have no skin in the game for the CBJ/TO series, but the past couple games have been insane. The sports betting sites pegged CBJ with a 99.85% probability of winning the game after their third goal tonight.

CANUCKS MOVE ON to round 2! And I love having the alumni come back to hang out... So happy to hear Jannik Hansen on the radio chatting about the Nucks with us.

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 01:48 AM
England

I watched a documentary a while ago on brain damage n vicodin abuse in the nhl was interesting
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
CANUCKS MOVE ON to round 2! And I love having the alumni come back to hang out... So happy to hear Jannik Hansen on the radio chatting about the Nucks with us.
Canucks just qualified for playoffs. I don't think they will advance to round 2.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 08:06 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimina View Post
Canucks just qualified for playoffs. I don't think they will advance to round 2.
Yeah that's what I meant
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 04:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angry
I'll make this thread my exception to no longer having the desire to post on these forums, as I am a die-hard Canucks fan and I am excited about this team for the first time in a long while.

It's very refreshing to again have a team able to play some tough, greasy playoff hockey, and win. We all knew they could score the skillful and flashy goals, but I was scared we would lose to Minnesota and their park-the-bus defensive style. Now we know the same players can get the gritty garbage goals needed in the playoffs. They're defending well and last night's series-winner was especially awesome as the team picked up Markstrom when he had a terrible game, after the opposite having been the case numerous times during the regular season.

There's a bit of a debate about play-ins vs playoffs. Reality is that this was a series and the loser goes home, so yes, for me this is the Canucks first playoff series win since the 2011 Western Conference Final. Bring on St.Louis or Dallas. We're the underdog regardless of who we play, but I would prefer St.Louis. We play the Blues well. 3 regulation wins, one OT win, one SO win and one OT loss over 18-19 and 19-20 against them. Meanwhile, Dallas has beaten us in regulation in 3 of 4 games played over the same period. Either way though, the worst thing any favourite can do with a team like the Canucks, is underestimate them. Both STL and DAL will play with more offence than MIN did, so we might have more room for our skills to be able to compliment the grit we showed this week. Two 5-seeds have already gone down to 12-seeds. It's a cliché for some underdog teams, but "why not us"? That's my attitude. GO CANUCKS GO!
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Permanently Banned

I'll be watching till the Leafs get knocked out lol
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

I'm generally happy about the Canucks winning, unless they play the Leafs in the finals (one can hope...). It's a shame about Edmonton though. I normally don't care about the Oilers, but it would have been nice for the host of the western hub to continue playing.

Anyway, it's almost time for the big Leafs game 5 vs the Blue Jackets. I'm so nervous... I can't take it. Telepathically trying to put up a force field around Andersen's net. Come on, don't let me down.
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

Garbage. Absolute garbage. They play my emotions like a flute. After an epic collapse, they provide an epic comeback. Then today they send me crashing to the ground again. I can't take this **** any more. Another promising season down the drain. I hope at least Tampa gets revenge against Columbus for last year.
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape in space View Post
Garbage. Absolute garbage. They play my emotions like a flute. After an epic collapse, they provide an epic comeback. Then today they send me crashing to the ground again. I can't take this **** any more. Another promising season down the drain. I hope at least Tampa gets revenge against Columbus for last year.

I wouldve thought that Game 4 would bring momentum into game 5... guess not

Welp that's it for hockey for me now...
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

Tampa Bay wins epic 5-overtime game against the Columbus Blue Jackets in game 1. I'm glad for the win, but watching Columbus's stifling defence for period after period is bringing back traumatic memories of the Leafs series. Columbus has to be the most frustrating team to watch.
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 04:33 PM
SAS Member

It's going to be a war yet, but the Canucks can beat the Blues. Their inexperience is not showing any fear of the defending champs. It's so awesome to watch.
post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 PM
SAS Member

Columbus and TBL must be exhausted. It's already a fast paced schedule but their crazy OT was like having an extra 1.5 games squeezed in.

Bo Horvat is Captain Clutch. Like holy sh.it what a game - I'm starting to feel hope again. And it only took like 8 years.
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 01:13 PM
SAS Member

Horvat has a playoff gear that so many players don't. His game right now is exactly what the Canucks need as the Blues are doing a great job of shutting down Pettersson, Boeser and Miller 5-on-5 (which could change for Games 3 and 4, being Canucks home games). The Canucks are not a one-line team, the powerplay is as good as it's been all season, Markstrom looks like he got his bad game in during Game 4 against the Wild and we can defend well, which is something new for the Canucks.

What gives me hope was how the team really didn't play well at all yesterday, and we still had enough battle to win. The whole team looked tired. I hope that was due to the early start time that they're not used to and the energy will return tomorrow night.
post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 07:11 AM
SAS Member

I am looking forward to more Bo Horvat magic tonight.
post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 07:50 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Sad
Credit to Tukka Rask for opting out. If I were a fan of tne Bruins, I’d rather he opt out and not play instead of playing half-heartedly and without 100% focus.

Super disappointed in the lackluster effort put forth by my Penguins, the window to win with Sid and Geno appears to be closing rapidly. My second team is the Coyotes...always had a soft spot for Phil Kessel and love watching Taylor Hall. They are getting badly outshot and outplayed for long stretches but Darcy Kuemper is keeping them alive with his play. Glad to the Caps struggling and despite the fach tje Habs took out the Pens, rooting for them to beat the Flyers.
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 08:29 AM
SAS Member

^I would be disappointed if I were a fan of the team, but no one can really blame or judge him. We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

I remember when the public was critical of Rick Rypien for taking a leave of absence from the Canucks 8 or 9 years ago. No one knew about his struggles with mental illness yet. Soon after he committed suicide.

I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for Rask.
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

I would be glad for the Canucks, but they're messing up my bracket. I had St Louis in 7 - which could still happen, but it's looking less likely now. Binnington looks quite shaky in net. They should put in Jake Allen, who was very good during the season.

I also had Coyotes upsetting the Avalanche in 7, largely on the strength of Kuemper. I don't know if they can pull it off, but yesterday's game certainly showed Kuemper can carry the team pretty far.

Calgary is also doing better than I expected against Dallas. I thought Dallas would be able to shut them down better.
post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

Actually it might be fun to post all of our first round predictions. These were mine:

Philadelphia vs Montreal
- PHI in 5

Tampa Bay vs Columbus
- TB in 7

Washington vs New York Islanders
- NYI in 7

Boston vs Carolina
- BOS in 6

Vegas vs Chicago
- VGK in 5

Colorado vs Arizona
- ARI in 7

Dallas vs Calgary
- DAL in 6

St Louis vs Vancouver
- STL in 7

And my prediction for the cup final was: Philadelphia vs Vegas, with PHI winning in 6

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page